Where do charter schools fit in SC HS sports landscape?

This board covers the teams playing in Class 5A in South Carolina.

Re: Where do charter schools fit in SC HS sports landscape?

Postby 5thqtr » Mon May 21, 2018 8:09 pm

..……………..and again! Over and over again...………..you see the attitude that will ,as they have seen in other places...………… lead to the growth of these charter schools!

I get called sensitive by someone "READING TEXT"! :lol: :lol:

I'm not now or have been upset about any post on here. I have discarded(igg) some after they put flawed information out. But, not sensitive! I played college ball. Doing well in life and am generally happy!

You can't read text and see if someon is upset. I state my case and I believe there are a plethora of examples in life. "IN LIFE" where people try and better their situations everyday. But b/c of people being "rear posterior hurt" it is only a problem when some parent or h.s. kid wants to "better their situation"!

I don't think it's and I state my opinion as to why I think it's wrong to hold a kid/parent back like that. Sometimes a kid transfers and they get even less playing time b/c they over estimated their abilities. But, they gave themselves an opportunity.

Seriously feel like I need to put this in crayon for a couple folks: "it isn't about anything other than the opportunity" to better one self. Unlike college that has the "1 year probation transfer rule" you lose an entire year away from the game you love. I just don't believe it's right. Again, I got mine. I get mine weekly as an adult. It isn't about me. I have no kids in school. SP could lose 1 of the couple neighborhoods they pull from and still beat 75% of this state. With verified home grown walking distance from the school kids. Not about that at all. This is about right and wrong and the growth of charter schools.

BHMcmm - they have no place playing public schools in my opinion. A kid wants to go there. No problem ( you can see why they would want to as displayed here). But, they don't have a place on the landscape of SC H.S. sports "in my opinion"! They should play each other only!
ImageGreat To Be A Stallion! Blessed To Live In Rock Hill!
5thqtr
All-American

Postby 3-3 Stack » Fri May 25, 2018 9:49 am

[quote=“5thqtr”]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T6CTTz6BMU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI6p5FomyKM

Good advice in my opinion! Especially for those kids who may stuck in the situation I have been referring to all along! If you can’t get around the transfer rule or can’t make it to a customizable charter school...…………...following these steps would be the next best thing. Especially the tips about putting together the video. Fill out the questionnaires. Follow up. Have some tangible ability and know what level you can play on. In other words; be real with yourself about what you can/can’t do. But, you can just follow this forum and see the stubborn selfish attitude that wants to keep kids in situations they won’t flourish in. The coach should not change what they do just for the kid. But, the kid should also not have to play a position they are no good at or marginal at. Especially if another school is going to give the kid the same quality education. B/C you can’t have it both ways: if it’s about the kids education why all of a sudden is this the straw that broke the camels back? Those teachers work hard too! But, kids transfer out for better educations all the time now! And is why these charter schools are growing seemingly yearly! Do your due diligence kids. Put in the work. Make the trips. Be in great shape and perhaps despite the “good ole” system now that wants to lock you into playing out of position perhaps you give yourself a chance. I would even go so far as putting it out once “hopefully contacted” the fact you are sacrificing for the team!
And again! Know what you can and can’t do. Every year we hear on these boards about under recruited kids who are playing at a high level we would think “would surely get a look”. Then other kids who really don’t impress who are rated pretty high and you can’t figure out why. Could be because they have done the leg work to “GET A SCOUT TO FOLLOW UP”! And, that’s all you can really hope for. Once you do your part and have an invite or they come see you or ask for film as he states in this video: “include workout video or you running a 40″ if you don’t get to showcase it in games! Amazing how the player is asked to suck it up and put up w/crappy but coaches can scoot for better opportunities and leave programs high and dry. I use to be one of those folks like a couple jokers on here. But, I was able to see a bigger picture. Some people are still locked in this dream world where people just throw themselves on grenades for the team! Or where cowboys ride off in the sunset. Everybody does the right thing all the time b/c they are full of honor. Need to wake up really...from coaches. To teachers. Principals. And on and on, most people try and better their situation if/when they can! The same folks who ARE READING TEXT SAYING I AM UPSET probably get upset when pro players ask for more money or trades. I use to as well until I realized: no difference besides the money than an accountant and their ability to keep up with #’s asking for more money or a new position. They asking for: “fair market value”! If that is what the position pays across other accounting firms: why should they do it for less? Oh, because they agreed to that, right! Right! That sounds like a person who is caught up in “romanticism”! It sounds good...……….but how long will that person sit there and do the same job maybe more b/c they been there longer and someone else is getting paid significantly more. So, they ask for a raise! Or they put in a two weeks notice b/c they searched and got another job “To Better Their Situation”!

And oh btw, even if it’s because a kid wants to see the field. In other words, they want to maybe get starter minutes. They know they are not college material. I am talking about that kid as well. You put yourself in a situation to do the one thing you wanted to do; “maybe start”. Maybe get significant playing time. If transferring will do it; why not! If you do it and you get even less playing time(this is where I lose those who don’t comprehend) you went for it. You went out trying to better your situation! And went out swinging your way! Don’t ever let these nay - Sayers deter you![/quote]
There are plenty of pitfalls to the European system.http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewsspo ... urope.html
3-3 Stack
All-American

Postby racincowboy02 » Tue May 29, 2018 5:20 am

Damn 5th will you quit try to drop all that knowledge on the nay sayers lol jk man i agree with you we are dealing with that with my oldest son now and are tossing the idea around about transfering him to a different school to see the exact thing you are talking about and no im not talking football with my son
racincowboy02
All-American

Postby 3-3 Stack » Tue May 29, 2018 9:09 am

[quote=“racincowboy02”]Damn 5th will you quit try to drop all that knowledge on the nay sayers lol jk man i agree with you we are dealing with that with my oldest son now and are tossing the idea around about transfering him to a different school to see the exact thing you are talking about and no im not talking football with my son[/quote]
Are you thinking about transferring your son for athletic or academic reasons?
3-3 Stack
All-American

Postby racincowboy02 » Wed May 30, 2018 12:01 am

Both to be honest the school im wanting to transfer to is a smaller school with smaller classroom size which means more one on one with the teach and maybe he can show his skills and be a better asset on a smaller schools team and not have to deal with daddy and click ball
racincowboy02
All-American

Postby 3-3 Stack » Wed May 30, 2018 8:16 am

[quote=“racincowboy02”]Both to be honest the school im wanting to transfer to is a smaller school with smaller classroom size which means more one on one with the teach and maybe he can show his skills and be a better asset on a smaller schools team and not have to deal with daddy and click ball[/quote]
My only word of caution is the lack of continuity he will face. I had to transfer my son as we moved, but it still can cause problems of friend-sickness, and missing "home." If he is young, it should work itself out, but as a whole I would offer caution.
3-3 Stack
All-American

Postby racincowboy02 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:37 pm

Yea we are considering all of that as well. It just really aggrevates me the way things are run and the way things are allowed to happen but hey it is what it is and the world ain't always fair and i am trying to teach him that but also would love to see him get a fair shake
racincowboy02
All-American

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:24 pm

[quote=“racincowboy02”]Yea we are considering all of that as well. It just really aggrevates me the way things are run and the way things are allowed to happen but hey it is what it is and the world ain’t always fair and i am trying to teach him that but also would love to see him get a fair shake[/quote]

If u talking across the river Chris/RC02...id say great move...fair coaching and lots better learning environment..u know I'm a diehard injun but the coaching is :roll: ...ill leave it at that...heck he might even fall in luv with football again..
" the only easy day, was yesterday "
mikey
All-American

Postby bhmccorm » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:23 pm

Here's The Herald's story on the new public charter school in Rock Hill that will focus heavily on athletics and academics: http://www.heraldonline.com/news/local/ ... 73004.html Same people behind Oceanside Collegiate and Gray Collegiate Academy
bhmccorm
Freshman

Postby SackThe_Back » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:48 pm

Whyyyy are poeple doing this. It doesn't work. This is all about thr money. And, the erskine accrediation is lower than state accreditation.

BTW, the Herald also said that York Prep was accepted into the SCHSL, so they "have to follow the rules".
Absolute Baloney. They will keep recruting from the whole state, and everyone knows it.
SackThe_Back
Freshman

PreviousNext

Return to Class 5A