Where do charter schools fit in SC HS sports landscape?

This board covers the teams playing in Class 5A in South Carolina.

Re: Where do charter schools fit in SC HS sports landscape?

Postby 5thqtr » Thu May 10, 2018 6:47 pm

[quote=“Beanie”]Between this and the transfer rule, you seem upset that South Pointe won’t be able to continue to stock their roster with kids from across town as if the kids zoned for you aren’t enough. It’s also ridiculous that you equate athletics to science. Get a grip.[/quote]

Beanie - 1st this has nothing to do with South Pointe. It does have to do with Rock Hill High. 2nd. so every person who opposes a rule is "upset", "ridiculous" or "need to get a grip"? Somebody needs to get a grip and it isn't 5th. Politics/ debates happen everyday. You must have no clue! Don't like it, tell me all the reasons i'm wrong! I will do the same. We give our p.o.v and we discuss. We don't start acting like a 2nd grader and throwing out insults! But, you have shown your hand and are not worthy of my time!
BTW, South Pointe does not have to get talent from across town. If you ask a neutral person who knows anything about Rock Hill or the kids who have played for The Stallions "ask"! Ask where the kids come from and get back at me. And, I mean by in large Beanie. Not Holloman that year!
ImageGreat To Be A Stallion! Blessed To Live In Rock Hill!
5thqtr
All-American

Postby 3-3 Stack » Fri May 11, 2018 10:41 am

[quote=“5thqtr”][quote=“Beanie”]Between this and the transfer rule, you seem upset that South Pointe won’t be able to continue to stock their roster with kids from across town as if the kids zoned for you aren’t enough. It’s also ridiculous that you equate athletics to science. Get a grip.[/quote]

Beanie - 1st this has nothing to do with South Pointe. It does have to do with Rock Hill High. 2nd. so every person who opposes a rule is “upset”, “ridiculous” or “need to get a grip”? Somebody needs to get a grip and it isn’t 5th. Politics/ debates happen everyday. You must have no clue! Don’t like it, tell me all the reasons i’m wrong! I will do the same. We give our p.o.v and we discuss. We don’t start acting like a 2nd grader and throwing out insults! But, you have shown your hand and are not worthy of my time!
BTW, South Pointe does not have to get talent from across town. If you ask a neutral person who knows anything about Rock Hill or the kids who have played for The Stallions “ask”! Ask where the kids come from and get back at me. And, I mean by in large Beanie. Not Holloman that year![/quote]
Sorry 5th qtr, how exactly did he insult you???
3-3 Stack
All-American

Postby 5thqtr » Fri May 11, 2018 5:37 pm

3-3 Stack - it's over! And, I can care less what he typed out. And, not that it matters, but when you call someone else's point of view ridiculous it is insulting. Most people with some intelligence or ability to argue their point would give their point of view in a way that makes sense. To just say my point of view or my "analogy" was ridiculous was an insult. In fact, insinuating SP wants to "continue to stack their roster with kids from across town" is an insult. Saying I "seem upset" is silly. It's text, how to you come to that conclusion? Because I have a point of view you don't agree with; i'm upset? Really? How? State your case. If it makes sense; perhaps I will see the error in my ways. But, the lack of tact used tells me about all I need to know about Beanie. Or anyone else who wants to immediately go " 2nd grade" instead of stating their case!
5thqtr
All-American

Postby 5thqtr » Fri May 11, 2018 5:45 pm

p.s. I stand by every word! Haven't heard anything to suggest I am wrong in any intelligent way. I stand by it until then.

p.p.s - if you know a smidge about South Pointe areas they pull from you would know dang well they don't need talent from the other side of town.

To the PM: "it's about Rock Hill High b/c of personal experience with a few kids who were very talented but never had a chance to showcase it; because they were locked in a system that frowned on exploiting their talent. They had parents who were not into sports; so they didn't really understand why they could have bettered their chances playing in another system. So, before all this came about, instead of doing address changes and so on they stayed there. Not really a knock on the coach at the time or the system because it was highly effective. Just to me............as I said.............nobody would argue the kid bettering his chances if one school had a stronger department than the other! I see no difference( fine if you don't; you have a right to your opinion or can't get with this analogy) but I just don't see the difference at all!
5thqtr
All-American

Postby SackThe_Back » Fri May 11, 2018 7:00 pm

Moving away from the heated argument...
Personally,the charters seem to have diffrent standerds than other schools. Anyone from any part of SC can attend one if it is public. (Hence recruting)

Couple of my experiances (I'm a 10th grade Bball player in Mt. Plesant)
- Lowcountry Leadership allegedly "didn't have enough money at the begining of the season for warmups because they spent it on players" (Multible sources)

- Oceanside's coaches arn't all teachers, sp they spend a lot of time recruting kids (From when I've talked to multible kids from their school, they said that the academics are hard only if you choose that path-which thhe coaches discourage)

- Oceanside throws money around like you wouldn't believe.

Haven't herd a ton about Grey, but it's known here if you are good enough, you go there or York Prep.

Perosnally, this type of sports disgists me. Sports shouldn't be "fixed" so the best kids go to schools with cool uniforms and teachers that "take care" of you during your season.
The playing field isn't always level, but it shouldn't be this slanted.
SackThe_Back
Freshman

Postby 5thqtr » Fri May 11, 2018 9:22 pm

SackThe_Back - I agree. Which is why I have always said, "bump those so called national polls"! 3/4 of the teams are private schools. And, that has some inherent benefits. Even if a school does not actively recruit; they do offer an "OPPORTUNITY" other schools don't "necessarily"! Maybe they do; but in a parents mind "THAT SCHOOL GIVES THEIR KID A BETTER CHANCE"! So, often whether the school sought out or asked for or not.................kids choose to go there! And in my opinion; one day in the near future that will be the norm here in S.Carolina just as it is in other states!
I am with you 100% it is disgusting! South Pointe - if anyone knows anything about where some of the best kids in the schools history shows; has plenty of home grown talent right in walking distance of the school(just about walking distance). Yet, people accuse the school of recruiting all the time TO HELP THEM JUSTIFY LOSING TO THE STALLIONS! Whatever works, but with all the allegations, common sense and knowing some people in Rock Hill should tell you they don't need to recruit! The common sense part was stated b/c you and I know dang well "it has been secretly and openly examined up and down and left and right b/c someone was rear posterior hurt about losing to SP"! Yet, nothing! Byrnes went through the same accusations! Nobody is saying that now; but let them start winning regularly again and BAM!
Being a supporter of a team of neighborhood kids: I dislike stockpiled talented schools! It should be the kids from the neighborhoods that make that school versus the ones from the neighborhoods that make the other school. But public school officials plus many people's "failing trust in the public schools ability" to get their kids prepared for college are "driving the move" toward more and more of these type schools! And it's really unfortunate!
5thqtr
All-American

Postby Beanie » Mon May 14, 2018 12:09 pm

5thqtr,

Didn't realize you were so sensitive. If being told your thoughts are ridiculous hurt you that much, you should grow some thicker skin. Sorry. Also, I said that the kids zoned for SP are enough.

But yes it is ridiculous to think that the HS sports free agency that basically existed prior to the transfer rule is positive for anybody involved. Its not good for the kids who transfer. It teaches them that their value is limited to being an athlete. It teaches them if things aren't going their way they should transfer. It makes the kids a commodity. I DON'T BELIEVE HERRON OR ANYONE DIRECTLY EMPLOYED BY SPHS EVER RECRUITED. But I do believe some wannabe "handlers" and guys from the barbershop, guys who want to hop on the potential gravy train, get into kids heads. Someone tells kids and their parents that they need to transfer for a shot at a scholarship. But guess what, scholarships are hard to get and they are rare no matter where you are. You can get one where you are. Bloom where you are planted.

High school sports are uniquely American. You play for your community. There are great lessons in winning and losing alongside the kids you have grown up with. I hate things that endanger the current model.
Beanie
Freshman

Postby 5thqtr » Tue May 15, 2018 9:11 pm

I have never stated it's ok to transfer because you thought you was "league material"! But, if a couple of you want to teach "your kids" to settle. To say, "don't try and better my chances and accept things as they are" that's your business. But, to me because of all the b.and s reasons some kids play and others don't. I will never see it like that. Kids know. Even the chosen kid may know often politics has them playing, not ability. When that's the case standing by not righting that wrong makes by standers just as guilty. The grass may not be greener on the other side. But, you "tried". That is a lesson to. Thank the Heavens some pioneers of change throughout u.s. history didn't just take it.
5thqtr
All-American

Postby 3-3 Stack » Wed May 16, 2018 9:13 am

[quote=“5thqtr”]I have never stated it’s ok to transfer because you thought you was “league material”! But, if a couple of you want to teach “your kids” to settle. To say, “don’t try and better my chances and accept things as they are” that’s your business. But, to me because of all the b.and s reasons some kids play and others don’t. I will never see it like that. Kids know. Even the chosen kid may know often politics has them playing, not ability. When that’s the case standing by not righting that wrong makes by standers just as guilty. The grass may not be greener on the other side. But, you “tried”. That is a lesson to. Thank the Heavens some pioneers of change throughout u.s. history didn’t just take it.[/quote]
I have an idea. Let's do away with ALL sports at high school. We can switch to the European "Club" sports format. You ok with that?
3-3 Stack
All-American

Postby 5thqtr » Mon May 21, 2018 7:54 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T6CTTz6BMU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI6p5FomyKM

Good advice in my opinion! Especially for those kids who may stuck in the situation I have been referring to all along! If you can't get around the transfer rule or can't make it to a customizable charter school...…………...following these steps would be the next best thing. Especially the tips about putting together the video. Fill out the questionnaires. Follow up. Have some tangible ability and know what level you can play on. In other words; be real with yourself about what you can/can't do. But, you can just follow this forum and see the stubborn selfish attitude that wants to keep kids in situations they won't flourish in. The coach should not change what they do just for the kid. But, the kid should also not have to play a position they are no good at or marginal at. Especially if another school is going to give the kid the same quality education. B/C you can't have it both ways: if it's about the kids education why all of a sudden is this the straw that broke the camels back? Those teachers work hard too! But, kids transfer out for better educations all the time now! And is why these charter schools are growing seemingly yearly! Do your due diligence kids. Put in the work. Make the trips. Be in great shape and perhaps despite the "good ole" system now that wants to lock you into playing out of position perhaps you give yourself a chance. I would even go so far as putting it out once "hopefully contacted" the fact you are sacrificing for the team!
And again! Know what you can and can't do. Every year we hear on these boards about under recruited kids who are playing at a high level we would think "would surely get a look". Then other kids who really don't impress who are rated pretty high and you can't figure out why. Could be because they have done the leg work to "GET A SCOUT TO FOLLOW UP"! And, that's all you can really hope for. Once you do your part and have an invite or they come see you or ask for film as he states in this video: "include workout video or you running a 40" if you don't get to showcase it in games! Amazing how the player is asked to suck it up and put up w/crappy but coaches can scoot for better opportunities and leave programs high and dry. I use to be one of those folks like a couple jokers on here. But, I was able to see a bigger picture. Some people are still locked in this dream world where people just throw themselves on grenades for the team! Or where cowboys ride off in the sunset. Everybody does the right thing all the time b/c they are full of honor. Need to wake up really...from coaches. To teachers. Principals. And on and on, most people try and better their situation if/when they can! The same folks who ARE READING TEXT SAYING I AM UPSET probably get upset when pro players ask for more money or trades. I use to as well until I realized: no difference besides the money than an accountant and their ability to keep up with #'s asking for more money or a new position. They asking for: "fair market value"! If that is what the position pays across other accounting firms: why should they do it for less? Oh, because they agreed to that, right! Right! That sounds like a person who is caught up in "romanticism"! It sounds good...……….but how long will that person sit there and do the same job maybe more b/c they been there longer and someone else is getting paid significantly more. So, they ask for a raise! Or they put in a two weeks notice b/c they searched and got another job "To Better Their Situation"!

And oh btw, even if it's because a kid wants to see the field. In other words, they want to maybe get starter minutes. They know they are not college material. I am talking about that kid as well. You put yourself in a situation to do the one thing you wanted to do; "maybe start". Maybe get significant playing time. If transferring will do it; why not! If you do it and you get even less playing time(this is where I lose those who don't comprehend) you went for it. You went out trying to better your situation! And went out swinging your way! Don't ever let these nay - Sayers deter you!
5thqtr
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Class 5A