York firing new coach?

The board dedicated to the Class 3A schools in South Carolina. Follow the schools here in their drive for a trip to Columbia.

York firing new coach?

Postby Jebster57 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:00 am

York High Administrators and the Queen Bee principal (all good ole York boys and girls) have placed 1st Year Football Coach Propst on 5-day suspension and are intent on firing him. Why? For using excessive profanity, for being aggressive, and slowly bringing some respect to the football program in York. The man seems to be a good coach with great ideas for creating a solid program to a otherwise sucky program that has been going down and down since 1986. He is (was) bringing some respect back to the football program at YHS. The boys who stuck with the program this year were boys who wanted to be there. He did not coddle the players and would tell them straight up that no sacrifice, no play and to leave his field right then. But wait why, if he was doing that, get rid of him. 1) People of influence want their children coddled. 2) He is an outsider. 3) People of influence want their kid playing no matter the win or lose consequences. York has what is called a good ole boy system....well, actually a good ole York boy system. In the 32 years I have been in York there has not been but one real outside coach at York High. Before then and since then, pretty much every coach has had some kind of ties with York, played at York, family in York, etc, get the picture. I mentioned 1986, the ousider was here that year and coached them to the State Championship. He did not play favorites. He was a winner.

They aren't giving Propst a chance to prove himself.
Jebster57
Freshman

Re: York firing new coach?

Postby Jebster57 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:17 am

I stand corrected. There was another outsider in the early 70's, He had been assistant to Richardson in Clinton. He wasn't at YHS long either.
Jebster57
Freshman

Postby BEARCAT/BULLDOG » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:56 am

Jebster57 wrote:York High Administrators and the Queen Bee principal (all good ole York boys and girls) have placed 1st Year Football Coach Propst on 5-day suspension and are intent on firing him. Why? For using excessive profanity, for being aggressive, and slowly bringing some respect to the football program in York. The man seems to be a good coach with great ideas for creating a solid program to a otherwise sucky program that has been going down and down since 1986. He is (was) bringing some respect back to the football program at YHS. The boys who stuck with the program this year were boys who wanted to be there. He did not coddle the players and would tell them straight up that no sacrifice, no play and to leave his field right then. But wait why, if he was doing that, get rid of him. 1) People of influence want their children coddled. 2) He is an outsider. 3) People of influence want their kid playing no matter the win or lose consequences. York has what is called a good ole boy system....well, actually a good ole York boy system. In the 32 years I have been in York there has not been but one real outside coach at York High. Before then and since then, pretty much every coach has had some kind of ties with York, played at York, family in York, etc, get the picture. I mentioned 1986, the ousider was here that year and coached them to the State Championship. He did not play favorites. He was a winner.

They aren't giving Propst a chance to prove himself.

Wow! Send him to Rock Hill High for an interview because we need someone with some fire like that! York should be ashamed "IF" this is the real reason for this suspension and likely firing. I have to think there was something deeper than "he used profanity"! Can't wait for the details to come to light on this.

He seems like a good coach. His x and o tactics are sound. Propst seems like a "ra ra coach not an X and O coach. But, good X and O guys are not always the best coach(see RH head football coach for perfect example). Some coaches can only teach the game of football; which is a credit to them and there knowledge! Great! But, football is a game of many things and a couple of the most important if you want to win is "passion and intensity"! If you only have good tactics but can not motivate the players as well..............alot of times it does not work! A ra ra coach in fact sometimes can beat a good X and O coach because his players play harder and more motivated!
York is making a mistake if all you have typed is correct!
"Pain is weakness leaving the body" -Sr. Drill Instructor Parris Island.
BEARCAT/BULLDOG
Varsity

Postby Jebster57 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: YCHS Firing New Coach?
posted at 11/17/2010 7:28 AM EST on Herald Online

polysci
First: 10/22/2010
Last: 11/17/2010 In Response to Re: YCHS Firing New Coach? :
No way York hires a black coach. I heard that was part of the problem the "people" in York had with coach Propst, he wanted to play too many black players. Anyway I heard he will be fired this morning. York will never be power program again. Coach Propst is the kind of coach that could build a program to surpass anything York has had, including a state champ. Its a messed up day in York.

posted at 11/17/2010 10:51 AM EST on Herald Online

SeaDog17
First: 10/2/2009
Last: 11/17/2010 Sad, sad, sad! Goodness gracious! This should be very interesting to see what happens in York.

As for an African-American coach comment.... there are some good assistants around the York, Chester, Lancaster, and Cherokee Counties that could breathe some air into that program if the admin decides to fire Propst. I suspect that all of the area high school coaches would be fired for inappropriate language. Just go to a practice and you will find out!

posted at 11/17/2010 11:24 AM EST on Herald Online

polysci
First: 10/22/2010
Last: 11/17/2010 Propst is gone. He resigned instead of being fired. York just messed up a potential championship team. I am hearing that a lot of the players are looking at what they need to do to go play in Rock Hill, particularly for Bobby Carroll. I want the people in York and the school board to ask themselves who do they think will want to come coach in a place where the community dictates how you handle your team. I have lost a lot of respect for the York administration. Rumour is coach Boyd will come back since it is going to be very hard to get anyone to take this job. He probably had an eye on it anyway when he saw what was being built. York is pitiful.

Read more: http://www.heraldonline.com/forums/?plc ... z15Z3YGWcI
Jebster57
Freshman

Postby AggieDad » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:36 pm

Jebster57 wrote:I stand corrected. There was another outsider in the early 70's, He had been assistant to Richardson in Clinton. He wasn't at YHS long either.

I have been away from York a longgg time but still check in from time to time. Relative to the coaches in the 1970's, there were only two: Jimmy Mac Wallace (originally from York - not the one that still coaches in RH, even though this one did too back in the 1960s and Jerry Lewis ... I assume Lewis is the one you refer to with Clinton ties. He was at York for 9 years starting in 1974 .. had 5 winning seasons (the first 5) and then losing seasons the last 4.

Bill Pate succeeded Lewis and was there for 6 years and never had a losing record. I think this is the coach you refer to when you cite 1986. He, however, did have ties to the area - I know his wife's family was from the York-Clover area.

Bob Boswell was there for 6 years between the two Boyd brothers -- I know nothing about him; not sure if he was an outsider or not, but I sure don't recall the name being related to York insiders. As far as John Barrett, maybe you can tell me how he is connected to insiders ... the name is not one that I remember at all.

Assuming the post is correct and some action is being taken, I find it strange that it is just now being brought to light or perhaps just now occurring .... the coach should be given some lattitude on the field and in the locker room; if it moves into more public environments then the administration may have a need to demand certain behavior.

UPDATE - just read the Herald online article about the coach actually resigning -- did not want to appear I did not believe it was happening. No matter the reason, it would not appear to be a good thing.
Rules to Live By:
1. Don't Sweat the Small Stuff
2. Convince Yourself Everything is Small Stuff!Image
AggieDad
JV

Postby GreenDragon » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:34 am

To echo what the 12th man said....York has only had 4 locals as head coach in the past 60 years...Tommy Oates, Jimmy Mac Wallace, Junior Boyd or JR and Steve Boyd...I really feel sorry for you jebster, your posts are primarily imbecillic, you have even posted on another board that you only attended a few games and most of what you know your relatives tell you, this is truly a sad way to go through life...If you look at the statement from the York School District regarding the resignation... IT SPEAKS VOLUMES!...

"York School District One is appreciative of Coach Propst's time and efforts in working with students and coaching staff during his time in the district," the York school district said in a statement. "The district wishes him success in his future endeavors."

Btw, 12th man, Bob Boswell was the head football coach at AL Brown High School in Kannapolis, NC , he coached Ethan Horton and Lance Smith, then he went to NC State for a period of time...At the time he was hired at York he had been the District AD in Cherokee County...

The York Community, the athletes and the student body, deserve and want a head football coach who will build a program that they can be proud of....To the school adminstration, school board and booster club: FINISH THE DRILL!!!
GreenDragon
Freshman

Postby Unknown » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:54 pm

As someone who played for York this season coach Propst seemed to me as a great coach. I do not know all of the facts that lead up to our school districts actions but I can tell you that it is not because York School District is racist and it is not because coach Propst used profanity. If the district was going to fire coach Propst for profanity they would have fired him after our spring practice. I believe that it is expected for any coach to use profanity especially in football where emotions can run high. It is part of the game. As for York being racist against african american coaches that is absurd. I can name at least seven african american coaches at York off the top of my head without thinking about it. It is now official though that coach Propst has resigned and the head coach position is open. York now needs to find a new coach who we can trust to stick with us. York needs someone who can give the team a consistent system. York will never be a 3A contender if our offense and deffense is changed every year. All successful schools get a coach and stick with him to get system started. As far as a new head coach goes nobody knows who it might be yet. If coach Boyd decides to come back to the team then I would fully support that. When he was a coach York won football games.
Unknown
Freshman

Postby 1whoknows » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:59 pm

Unknown wrote:As someone who played for York this season coach Propst seemed to me as a great coach. I do not know all of the facts that lead up to our school districts actions but I can tell you that it is not because York School District is racist and it is not because coach Propst used profanity. If the district was going to fire coach Propst for profanity they would have fired him after our spring practice. I believe that it is expected for any coach to use profanity especially in football where emotions can run high. It is part of the game. As for York being racist against african american coaches that is absurd. I can name at least seven african american coaches at York off the top of my head without thinking about it. It is now official though that coach Propst has resigned and the head coach position is open. York now needs to find a new coach who we can trust to stick with us. York needs someone who can give the team a consistent system. York will never be a 3A contender if our offense and deffense is changed every year. All successful schools get a coach and stick with him to get system started. As far as a new head coach goes nobody knows who it might be yet. If coach Boyd decides to come back to the team then I would fully support that. When he was a coach York won football games.

Having black assistants do not state that you will ever want a black head coach. Maurice Flowers, the ex-Chester High coach, is available. If you wants someone that can run a program, but you will have to hear a little cussing, then that is your man. He lives right near York and has been successful everywhere he has been.

Good luck
1whoknows
Freshman

Postby fbarraza28 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:59 am

Adidas Yeezy
Christian Louboutin Shoes
Rihanna Puma
Air Force 1 Shoes
Red Bottom Shoes
Longchamp
Pandora Charms