Wilson vs. Dillon Article

The board dedicated to the Class 3A schools in South Carolina. Follow the schools here in their drive for a trip to Columbia.

Wilson vs. Dillon Article

Postby wildcatnation843 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:19 pm

FLORENCE, S.C. -- A couple weeks ago, it was 5A power Conway. This week? It’s Dillon, the top-ranked team in the Morning News prep football poll and the second-ranked 3A team in the statewide media poll.

Nothing is coming easily for the Wilson High School football team these days.

“I know, right, they keep giving me these cupcakes,” first-year Wilson coach Derek Howard said, chuckling.

Howard didn’t take over the Tigers’ helm until July and inherited a schedule he had nothing to do with building.

“I wish every now and then I had a voodoo doll somewhere, and every time I have to deal with something that didn’t have anything to do with my decision, I’d just hit that voodoo doll and cause a little pain,” he laughed.

Howard said he thinks the Wildcats are as talented as Conway, which beat Wilson 37-7 on Sept. 1.

The Tigers (3-1) bounced back from the loss against Conway by beating city rival South Florence 19-3 last Friday.

This week, Wilson takes to the road for the first time to face a team that won four straight state championships in Class 2A from 2012-15 before losing to Chapman in the 3A final last year.

“Dillon definitely has a 5A roster in a 3A program,” Howard said. “They’re the beneficiary of being a program that is well established and is used to winning. Every kid in that community wants to be part of that program.”

For the Wildcats (3-0), it has been business as usual. Dillon has allowed just 19 points in three games and has scored no fewer than 42. “We get a little bit better each week,” Dillon coach Jackie Hayes said. “We’ve got two more nonconference games before we start the conference schedule. Hopefully we’ve gotten better over the last four or five weeks. But Wilson is a big challenge.”

Certainly the biggest the Wildcats have faced to date. Dillon has easy wins against Lumberton, N.C., Mullins and Latta to its credit.

“Wilson has some big, physical guys, good skill players,” Hayes said. “They’re playing with a lot of confidence.”

Of course, so is Dillon. The Wildcats haven’t had any problems moving the ball on the ground behind Jallian Williams (418 yards, 8.9 yards per carry, six TDs) and Zareon Hayes (289 yards, 12.6 avg., seven TDs).

On defense, Dray Thompson leads Dillon with 17 tackles. Shakai Jeanty has 15 tackles, including 3½ sacks, Shamar McCallum has 15 stops (1½ sacks) and Jadarius McDaniel has 14 tackles.

“It’s kind of been what we expected,” Jackie Hayes said. “I think we’ve gotten a lot better in some areas and some areas we still need a little work in. We’re a work in progress and hopefully, we’ll get better when we play Wilson on Friday.”

Wilson (3-1) at Dillon (3-0)

WHEN: 7:30 p.m. Friday

WHERE: Dillon Memorial Stadium (West Main Street, Dillon)

TICKETS: $7

RADIO: 96.3-FM/1230-AM ESPN Radio (broadcast focused on Wilson)

LAST MEETING: 2016, Dillon won 37-0.

KEY PLAYERS: W: QB Jacob Quillen, WR Antwan Smith, WR Zion Keith. D: DE Shamar McCollum, RB Jallian Williams, DE/LB/RB Zareon Hayes.

NOTES: Dillon leads series 22-3 and has won the previous seven meetings, with Wilson last winning 24-21 in 2002 … Wildcats coach Jackie Hayes is now six wins away from career win No. 300 … This will be Wilson’s first road game after playing the first four at home … Eight different Tigers players have accounted for touchdowns … Eleven yards separate Wilson’s leading running backs Raymon State (193 yards, one touchdown) and Kam’Ron Bradford (182 yards, four scores) … Dillon has outscored its first three opponents 136-19.

--Scott Chancey
wildcatnation843
Varsity

Re: Wilson vs. Dillon Article

Postby 1 CAT FAN » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:57 am

ImageNational Champions
1 CAT FAN
All-American

Re: Wilson vs. Dillon Article

Postby fbarraza28 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:55 am

Nike Shoes
Vans Outlet