Woodruff vs Broome, 11/9/2018 1st round

The board dedicated to the Class 3A schools in South Carolina. Follow the schools here in their drive for a trip to Columbia.

Re: Woodruff vs Broome, 11/9/2018 1st round

Postby catdatplayedandknows » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:26 am

:o :o :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: I had to put some glasses on. This must be a misprint.
Welcome to DILLON UNIVERSITY HOME OF THE 08,09,12,13,14,15,17 State Champions :twisted:
catdatplayedandknows
Varsity

Postby BiLlYdAkIDd » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:12 am

[quote=“Wolverine Legend”]Well, after a week off to let the lowerstate catch up, it’s finally playoff time in South Carolina. This week the Wolverines take on the Broome Centurions in a rematch of a week 1 game that wasn’t particularly close. Woodruff defeated Broome 48-12 that night in August and the two teams have taken different trajectories since then. The Wolverines rolled to an 8-2 season while the Centurions finished 4-6. We will see Friday night if Broome has improved enough to challenge the high-powered Wolverines.

Woodruff, the second seed from Region III, rolled into the play-offs with three consecutive blowout victories to end the regular season. The Wolverines are averaging just under 40 points per game and giving up 18.2 on the season. Quarterback Keegan Halloran has passed for 1,993 yards and 21 touchdowns to go along with 500 yards and 7 touchdowns rushing. Two speedy tailbacks, Demi Dale and Johnathan Alexander, anchor the run game and junior wide receiver Omarion McKelvin has 932 yards receiving and 12 touchdowns in what has been a monster season for him. The defense is stout and completely shut down Broome in the first meeting. Can Woodruff do it again?

Broome, meanwhile, never fully put things together in the regular season. The Centurions finished third in Region II by virtue of sharing a conference with Chesnee and Carolina. Still, Broome has talented playmakers and a pair of all-stars in Shrine Bowl offensive lineman Jysaiah Cromer and North/South quarterback Brenden Taylor. The receiving corps is led by speedster Keyvon Graham and running back C.J. Littlejohn sees the bulk of the carries. Defensively, Broome has struggled. Woodruff racked up 604 yards of offense in the first meeting, including 360 on the ground. The Centurions will have to have a much improved effort this time around if they hope to contain the Wolverines’ offense. Can they do it? We will see shortly.

While rematches always are a tricky proposition, as Woodruff found out in a nail-biting playoff win against Newberry in 2011, I’m not sure that Broome has improved enough to make up a 36 point margin against Woodruff. Of course, if the Wolverines take the Centurions lightly, Broome has the talent to win. I’m not sure, however, if they have the mental make-up to get it done. That said, I do expect a closer game this time around but the Wolverines will make plays in the second half and pull away again to advance to the second round. When the clock hits zero....

Woodruff 42
Broome 24[/quote]

Got beat.........
BiLlYdAkIDd
Heisman

Postby 96fanatic » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:20 pm

the BROOME coach said several key players
were back in the lineup that had been out.
96fanatic
All-American

Postby 1CANNON » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:24 pm

[quote=“96fanatic”]the BROOME coach said several key players
were back in the lineup that had been out.[/quote]

Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner.
There's the Broome up and down season :roll:
YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH!
1CANNON
All-American

Postby Fridaynightlights » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:30 pm

The coaching staff lost this game for Woodruff. Very bad coaching. Didn't have the team prepared to play.
Fridaynightlights
Freshman

Postby ST Rebels 72 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:16 am

[quote=“Fridaynightlights”]The coaching staff lost this game for Woodruff. Very bad coaching. Didn’t have the team prepared to play.[/quote]

How about maybe Broome was the better team last night and Woodruff kids played their hearts out, but it just wasn’t enough...
PRIDE, CLASS, COURAGE AND THE WILL TO WIN
ST Rebels 72
All-American

Postby wildcatnation843 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:44 am

[quote=“region2”]Don’t need the A game. Despite the fact that some media members, who pay zero attention to what is going on, kept Broome ranked week, after week, even though they were being curb stomped by anybody with a pulse. I suppose the high point of their season was playing Chapman closer than anticipated. But something tells me that had a lot more to do with something going on with Chapman than Broome. Woodruff could roll the JVs out and should win this game.[/quote]
Region2, I tried to tell you and Legend that this thing could go the other way this time around but you didn’t want to listen thinking that this would be a massive blowout again. I made a trip up to Varner stadium & I saw Woodruff this year against Chapman and I know that they don’t have a great defense and neither does Chapman so anybody can compete and even beat you on any given night when you don’t play great defense!
wildcatnation843
Varsity

Postby 96fanatic » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:42 am

[quote=“wildcatnation843”][quote=“region2”]Don’t need the A game. Despite the fact that some media members, who pay zero attention to what is going on, kept Broome ranked week, after week, even though they were being curb stomped by anybody with a pulse. I suppose the high point of their season was playing Chapman closer than anticipated. But something tells me that had a lot more to do with something going on with Chapman than Broome. Woodruff could roll the JVs out and should win this game.[/quote]
Region2, I tried to tell you and Legend that this thing could go the other way this time around but you didn’t want to listen thinking that this would be a massive blowout again. I made a trip up to Varner stadium & I saw Woodruff this year against Chapman and I know that they don’t have a great defense and neither does Chapman so anybody can compete and even beat you on any given night when you don’t play great defense![/quote]

you are 100% right. defense wins the big games
most of the time.
96fanatic
All-American

Postby TIM » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:57 am

I'm waiting for this week's majestic recap from the legend....probably start with Broome Swept Ink out of Legend's Pen! :mrgreen:

these games happen. but i can tell you from watching woodruff this season, that coach (Adams) did a heckavu job with what he had to work with. just being honest, there wasn't a lot of size or an abundance of talent on the field. personnel wise, i imagine woodruff was out manned in just about every game but they won a lot more than they lost. if he gets a basket full of talent, watch out. just my opinion.
TIM
All-American

Postby ST Rebels 72 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:07 pm

[quote=“TIM”]I’m waiting for this week’s majestic recap from the legend....probably start with Broome Swept Ink out of Legend’s Pen! :mrgreen:

these games happen. but i can tell you from watching woodruff this season, that coach (Adams) did a heckavu job with what he had to work with. just being honest, there wasn’t a lot of size or an abundance of talent on the field. personnel wise, i imagine woodruff was out manned in just about every game but they won a lot more than they lost. if he gets a basket full of talent, watch out. just my opinion.[/quote]

I can’t speak on the talent level of Woodruff, but Legend said at the beginning of the season that they were a state championship quality team...I’m waiting to see his write up as well, because he sure had a lot to say prior to this game...
ST Rebels 72
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Class 3A