Emerald Coaching

The board dedicated to the Class 3A schools in South Carolina. Follow the schools here in their drive for a trip to Columbia.

Emerald Coaching

Postby eagle93 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:07 pm

I figured this would be an interesting topic. Emerald is loaded with talent. Took some of Greenwood's best players, because I assume they don't like the coach; who doesn't tolerate a lot stuff. They are ranked 2 in 3A and lose fairly handily to a 96 team who isn't even ranked in 2A. They looked decent in scrimmages and jamborees. And this goes to show that those mean nothing neither. I thought Emerald would win with relative ease. The team some of their best players left from(Greenwood) on the other hand hasn't looked particularly well in preseason travels down to Number 9 in 4A(South Aiken), who also hasn't lost a home game in 15 games and comes out with a win. And they looked nothing like the team we've seen in scrimmages and a jamboree. Balanced and mixing things up and playing well on defense. All with kids that most barely know currently. It all boils down to coaching I believe. I've been saying it for a while. Emerald has had talent for some time, and definitely has it now. The coaching is not there though. When they get it they will be a force to be reckoned with I think. Thoughts?
eagle93
All-American

Re: Emerald Coaching

Postby StateChampsGHS » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:24 pm

Maybe Ninety Six played up and they really have a good football team this year under their second year new coach.

Not going to lie....Emerald does have issues with coaching because they been loaded for several years now and the results are still the same. They will always be mediocre!!!
14 State Titles (1948, 1949, 1955, 1957, 1959, 1961, 1962, 1966, 1968, 1976, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2012).. Greenwood High Eagles
StateChampsGHS
Varsity

Postby 96fanatic » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:35 am

i agree with you guys.i also thought
EMERALD would wear my WILDCATS
down and pull away in the 4th quarter
but 96 hung in there and made some
key plays to win the game.96 does have
several pretty good players that go both ways.
EMERALD is a big strong team with some
good talent.i hope they do well in 3a.
coach WOOLCOCK seems to be a good coach
that is young and excited.96 will have a jv team
this year and also a middle school team.if 96
can stay away from injuries i believe they
can hang with any team in our region this year
except ABBEVILLE.we will see.
96fanatic
All-American

Postby region2 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:05 am

An above poster said that Emerald had some talent that should be at Greenwood because the Greenwood coach doesn't put up with any crap. Does that say that the Emerald coach does to an extent? If so, that is your problem right there. Discipline. Talent is a wonderful thing, and often the difference maker in the success of programs. But you let those talented kids get off of the same page, and a lesser talented team that is will hurt your feelings.
region2
All-American

Postby eagle93 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:25 pm

[quote=“region2”]An above poster said that Emerald had some talent that should be at Greenwood because the Greenwood coach doesn’t put up with any crap. Does that say that the Emerald coach does to an extent? If so, that is your problem right there. Discipline. Talent is a wonderful thing, and often the difference maker in the success of programs. But you let those talented kids get off of the same page, and a lesser talented team that is will hurt your feelings.[/quote]

Yes. Saw one arguing with a coach in a scrimmage. They also have no coaches that really have a background in coaching defense. They are definitely loaded. Have D1 kids on that team. Deal, Sheets; those are just 2 of the D1 kids on that team.
eagle93
All-American

Postby BiLlYdAkIDd » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:02 pm

[quote=“eagle93”][quote=“region2”]An above poster said that Emerald had some talent that should be at Greenwood because the Greenwood coach doesn’t put up with any crap. Does that say that the Emerald coach does to an extent? If so, that is your problem right there. Discipline. Talent is a wonderful thing, and often the difference maker in the success of programs. But you let those talented kids get off of the same page, and a lesser talented team that is will hurt your feelings.[/quote]

Yes. Saw one arguing with a coach in a scrimmage. They also have no coaches that really have a background in coaching defense. They are definitely loaded. Have D1 kids on that team. Deal, Sheets; those are just 2 of the D1 kids on that team.[/quote]

you are dead wrong partner.........emerald has a great defensive coach on staff that for many years had one of the best defenses in the game anywhere..........but he isn’t coaching defense....
BiLlYdAkIDd
Heisman

Postby eagle93 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:08 pm

[quote=“BiLlYdAkIDd”][quote=“eagle93”][quote=“region2”]An above poster said that Emerald had some talent that should be at Greenwood because the Greenwood coach doesn’t put up with any crap. Does that say that the Emerald coach does to an extent? If so, that is your problem right there. Discipline. Talent is a wonderful thing, and often the difference maker in the success of programs. But you let those talented kids get off of the same page, and a lesser talented team that is will hurt your feelings.[/quote]

Yes. Saw one arguing with a coach in a scrimmage. They also have no coaches that really have a background in coaching defense. They are definitely loaded. Have D1 kids on that team. Deal, Sheets; those are just 2 of the D1 kids on that team.[/quote]

you are dead wrong partner.........emerald has a great defensive coach on staff that for many years had one of the best defenses in the game anywhere..........but he isn’t coaching defense....[/quote]

Why isn't he if he is good? They allowed 62 points.
eagle93
All-American

Postby BiLlYdAkIDd » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:14 am

[quote=“eagle93”][quote=“BiLlYdAkIDd”][quote=“eagle93”][quote=“region2”]An above poster said that Emerald had some talent that should be at Greenwood because the Greenwood coach doesn’t put up with any crap. Does that say that the Emerald coach does to an extent? If so, that is your problem right there. Discipline. Talent is a wonderful thing, and often the difference maker in the success of programs. But you let those talented kids get off of the same page, and a lesser talented team that is will hurt your feelings.[/quote]

you are dead wrong partner.........emerald has a great defensive coach on staff that for many years had one of the best defenses in the game anywhere..........but he isn’t coaching defense....[/quote]

Why isn’t he if he is good? They allowed 62 points.[/quote]

sent you a pm......
BiLlYdAkIDd
Heisman

Postby No Fly Zone » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:50 am

[quote=“eagle93”]Emerald has had talent for some time, and definitely has it now. The coaching is not there though. When they get it they will be a force to be reckoned with I think. Thoughts?[/quote]

I completely agree with this and it’s something that absolutely needs to be brought up.

Aside from Neal, every single one of the guys on that staff are offensive line guys. That’s why they can’t pass it and it’s why they can’t play defense. Nobody knows defense. They can run the ball with the best of them, but nothing else.

Here’s the biggest issue at Emerald when it comes to coaching: Coach Deal

Coach Mack is not running the show at Emerald. He’s the head coach, but Coach Deal has him in his pocket. Mack has given him entirely too much control over there since he’s come back. Still can’t figure out how he was allowed back, but that’s another story.....

When Deal left in 2014, that team beat Kelly Bryant and Wren in the playoffs and had one of the best defenses in 3A. The defensive coaches that Mack brought in that year did an all-star job. Correct me if I’m wrong, I think those guys are all gone. I’m not sure if they got better opportunities or if they couldn’t work with Mack or what, but something just doesn’t smell right.

Emerald lost an entire group of quality defensive coaches and hired Chris Deal...a failed head coach/offensive coordinator... as his DEFENSIVE coordinator? Mack is loyal to a fault. You mean to tell me that Brian Neal is on your coaching staff and you have him coaching receivers? That’s complete foolishness. That’s your DC. Emerald can’t throw the ball into the ocean and Mack has arguably his best assistant coach on staff wasting away on the wrong side of the ball.

Coach Deal is a predator at the high school football level. He preys upon talented kids and their families. That’s how those Greenwood kids ended up at Emerald. He recruited them to come over there. A lot of parents and student-athletes can’t see that he’s doing it in his best interest, not the student-athletes. I can’t knock a man for giving his life to teaching/coaching, but some of the things he does are hard to look past.

They’ve created a bad culture over there. No discipline. No structure. They’re successful in spurts due to talent, not coaching. And talent only goes so far.
No Fly Zone
Freshman

Postby eagle93 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:51 am

[quote=“No Fly Zone”][quote=“eagle93”]Emerald has had talent for some time, and definitely has it now. The coaching is not there though. When they get it they will be a force to be reckoned with I think. Thoughts?[/quote]

I completely agree with this and it’s something that absolutely needs to be brought up.

Aside from Neal, every single one of the guys on that staff are offensive line guys. That’s why they can’t pass it and it’s why they can’t play defense. Nobody knows defense. They can run the ball with the best of them, but nothing else.

Here’s the biggest issue at Emerald when it comes to coaching: Coach Deal

Coach Mack is not running the show at Emerald. He’s the head coach, but Coach Deal has him in his pocket. Mack has given him entirely too much control over there since he’s come back. Still can’t figure out how he was allowed back, but that’s another story.....

When Deal left in 2014, that team beat Kelly Bryant and Wren in the playoffs and had one of the best defenses in 3A. The defensive coaches that Mack brought in that year did an all-star job. Correct me if I’m wrong, I think those guys are all gone. I’m not sure if they got better opportunities or if they couldn’t work with Mack or what, but something just doesn’t smell right.

Emerald lost an entire group of quality defensive coaches and hired Chris Deal...a failed head coach/offensive coordinator... as his DEFENSIVE coordinator? Mack is loyal to a fault. You mean to tell me that Brian Neal is on your coaching staff and you have him coaching receivers? That’s complete foolishness. That’s your DC. Emerald can’t throw the ball into the ocean and Mack has arguably his best assistant coach on staff wasting away on the wrong side of the ball.

Coach Deal is a predator at the high school football level. He preys upon talented kids and their families. That’s how those Greenwood kids ended up at Emerald. He recruited them to come over there. A lot of parents and student-athletes can’t see that he’s doing it in his best interest, not the student-athletes. I can’t knock a man for giving his life to teaching/coaching, but some of the things he does are hard to look past.

They’ve created a bad culture over there. No discipline. No structure. They’re successful in spurts due to talent, not coaching. And talent only goes so far.[/quote]

Interesting. I knew about Neal, but not much about Deal. I heard Mac was going to retire. If they post the job, I wonder if someone like Greg Porter from Hillcrest would put in? He applied for the Greenwood job and really wanted it. Not sure if he minds going back to 3A, but the pay is the same as Greenwood to my knowledge. Don’t know about bonuses etc. If he did they’d be hard to beat.
Last edited by eagle93 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
eagle93
All-American

Next

Return to Class 3A