Woodruff vs Broome, 11/9/2018 1st round

The board dedicated to the Class 3A schools in South Carolina. Follow the schools here in their drive for a trip to Columbia.

Woodruff vs Broome, 11/9/2018 1st round

Postby Wolverine Legend » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:20 pm

Well, after a week off to let the lowerstate catch up, it's finally playoff time in South Carolina. This week the Wolverines take on the Broome Centurions in a rematch of a week 1 game that wasn't particularly close. Woodruff defeated Broome 48-12 that night in August and the two teams have taken different trajectories since then. The Wolverines rolled to an 8-2 season while the Centurions finished 4-6. We will see Friday night if Broome has improved enough to challenge the high-powered Wolverines.

Woodruff, the second seed from Region III, rolled into the play-offs with three consecutive blowout victories to end the regular season. The Wolverines are averaging just under 40 points per game and giving up 18.2 on the season. Quarterback Keegan Halloran has passed for 1,993 yards and 21 touchdowns to go along with 500 yards and 7 touchdowns rushing. Two speedy tailbacks, Demi Dale and Johnathan Alexander, anchor the run game and junior wide receiver Omarion McKelvin has 932 yards receiving and 12 touchdowns in what has been a monster season for him. The defense is stout and completely shut down Broome in the first meeting. Can Woodruff do it again?

Broome, meanwhile, never fully put things together in the regular season. The Centurions finished third in Region II by virtue of sharing a conference with Chesnee and Carolina. Still, Broome has talented playmakers and a pair of all-stars in Shrine Bowl offensive lineman Jysaiah Cromer and North/South quarterback Brenden Taylor. The receiving corps is led by speedster Keyvon Graham and running back C.J. Littlejohn sees the bulk of the carries. Defensively, Broome has struggled. Woodruff racked up 604 yards of offense in the first meeting, including 360 on the ground. The Centurions will have to have a much improved effort this time around if they hope to contain the Wolverines' offense. Can they do it? We will see shortly.

While rematches always are a tricky proposition, as Woodruff found out in a nail-biting playoff win against Newberry in 2011, I'm not sure that Broome has improved enough to make up a 36 point margin against Woodruff. Of course, if the Wolverines take the Centurions lightly, Broome has the talent to win. I'm not sure, however, if they have the mental make-up to get it done. That said, I do expect a closer game this time around but the Wolverines will make plays in the second half and pull away again to advance to the second round. When the clock hits zero....

Woodruff 42
Broome 24
Welcome to Woodruff, the original title town. Pardon us for the beatdown you are about to receive. We hope you enjoy your visit, and please come again soon!
Wolverine Legend
All-American

Re: Woodruff vs Broome, 11/9/2018 1st round

Postby wildcatnation843 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:52 am

Isn't this the same Broome team that gave Chapman a hard time back on September 28? I think so. Don't be surprised if this game is closer than you think.
wildcatnation843
Varsity

Postby region2 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:50 pm

Game should be a blowout. Got a feeling that the Chapman game had a whole lot more to do with Chapman than it did with Broome. Outside of that on game they haven't really been competitive with a decent team all year.
region2
All-American

Postby bigdog2003 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:41 am

[quote=“wildcatnation843”]Isn’t this the same Broome team that gave Chapman a hard time back on September 28? I think so. Don’t be surprised if this game is closer than you think.[/quote]

It’s also the same Broome team that lost 50-7 at home to Southside two weeks after that. Broome seems to be up and down, played Chapman close losing by 6, then turn around two weeks later and lose by 43 to Southside.

Legend, that Newberry game in 2011 was a classic. Yall still had 12 on the field on that last play! :D
bigdog2003
Varsity

Postby 76 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:08 am

Cold and wet. Broome has played very well at times this year. Our men will need to bring their A game. I feel our Wolverines will be ready.
Varsity

Postby region2 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:14 am

Don't need the A game. Despite the fact that some media members, who pay zero attention to what is going on, kept Broome ranked week, after week, even though they were being curb stomped by anybody with a pulse. I suppose the high point of their season was playing Chapman closer than anticipated. But something tells me that had a lot more to do with something going on with Chapman than Broome. Woodruff could roll the JVs out and should win this game.
region2
All-American

Postby region2 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:04 pm

Well, I guess Woodruff did need that A game. A bit shocked at this one.
region2
All-American

Postby ST Rebels 72 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:37 pm

[quote=“Wolverine Legend”]Well, after a week off to let the lowerstate catch up, it’s finally playoff time in South Carolina. This week the Wolverines take on the Broome Centurions in a rematch of a week 1 game that wasn’t particularly close. Woodruff defeated Broome 48-12 that night in August and the two teams have taken different trajectories since then. The Wolverines rolled to an 8-2 season while the Centurions finished 4-6. We will see Friday night if Broome has improved enough to challenge the high-powered Wolverines.

Code: Select all
so what did you find out?

Woodruff, the second seed from Region III, rolled into the play-offs with three consecutive blowout victories to end the regular season. The Wolverines are averaging just under 40 points per game and giving up 18.2 on the season. Quarterback Keegan Halloran has passed for 1,993 yards and 21 touchdowns to go along with 500 yards and 7 touchdowns rushing. Two speedy tailbacks, Demi Dale and Johnathan Alexander, anchor the run game and junior wide receiver Omarion McKelvin has 932 yards receiving and 12 touchdowns in what has been a monster season for him. The defense is stout and completely shut down Broome in the first meeting. Can Woodruff do it again?

Did they?

Broome, meanwhile, never fully put things together in the regular season. The Centurions finished third in Region II by virtue of sharing a conference with Chesnee and Carolina. Still, Broome has talented playmakers and a pair of all-stars in Shrine Bowl offensive lineman Jysaiah Cromer and North/South quarterback Brenden Taylor. The receiving corps is led by speedster Keyvon Graham and running back C.J. Littlejohn sees the bulk of the carries. Defensively, Broome has struggled. Woodruff racked up 604 yards of offense in the first meeting, including 360 on the ground. The Centurions will have to have a much improved effort this time around if they hope to contain the Wolverines’ offense. Can they do it? We will see shortly.

So tell me how it turned out.

]While rematches always are a tricky proposition, as Woodruff found out in a nail-biting playoff win against Newberry in 2011, I’m not sure that Broome has improved enough to make up a 36 point margin against Woodruff. Of course, if the Wolverines take the Centurions lightly, Broome has the talent to win. I’m not sure, however, if they have the mental make-up to get it done. That said, I do expect a closer game this time around but the Wolverines will make plays in the second half and pull away again to advance to the second round. When the clock hits zero....

Woodruff 42
Broome 24
[/quote]

All I can say is wow...
Last edited by ST Rebels 72 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
PRIDE, CLASS, COURAGE AND THE WILL TO WIN
ST Rebels 72
All-American

Postby 76 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:44 am

Exciting Ball game for sure
Congrats to Boome. They did indeed bring their A game.
Good luck to Broome as they move on.

Our Wolverines did not play thier best tonight, but give credit to the
other team. They had something to do with our performance for sure.

Thanks to these Wolverines, played their butts off all year and a delight to
watch!

Will say, very very surprised at the crowd turnout tonight. This team
earned more than our fan base showed tonnight.
Varsity

Postby *Topcat* » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:26 am

No way I would have seen that outcome....very, very surprised. :shock:
*Topcat*
All-American

Next

Return to Class 3A