Ponder This! A Transfer rule thread.

This board covers the 48 teams that make up the top classification in South Carolina. Discuss the Big 16 and Division II teams and players.

Ponder This! A Transfer rule thread.

Postby 5thqtr » Wed May 09, 2018 8:13 pm

Imagine if the flex-bone offense had worked @ South Pointe. Would Anthony Johnson who is a 1st round pick in the "way too early draft by Kiper/Mcshay have been recruited"? DK would have b/c he would be good at any position you put him @ except maybe 1 or 3 technique or OL. But, maybe not at the position he loves(WR).
Josh Wilks - big time WR prospect ( E. Michigan) maybe would not have received an opportunity. What about Jonathan Muhammad who was ranked in the top 50 @ the WR position( you know how many kids play WR now a day).
My thing is: I can already tell you the posters who will get on here and bash me! Inbox me or look at some threads last August. But, with NW right over there slinging it around the yard and you are a natural @ WR why are so many adults up in arms about a kid transfering. The same people who got at me about me having my point of view on this was all upset about NW getting rid of their coach "mid-season"! The RHSD3 transfer rule for athletics stinks of "politics"! It isn't about making one team better than the other. How about one school wants to run I-formation and i'm this stud WR. Science is better at one school............but the kid in academia does not have to "settle for 6th best science program in the county"! Because of that kids potential in that subject no one would have an issue signing off on them going to the other school. Yet, as it applies to athletics it's a double standard!
ImageGreat To Be A Stallion! Blessed To Live In Rock Hill!
5thqtr
All-American

Re: Ponder This! A Transfer rule thread.

Postby 3-3 Stack » Fri May 11, 2018 9:25 am

[quote=“5thqtr”]Imagine if the flex-bone offense had worked @ South Pointe. Would Anthony Johnson who is a 1st round pick in the “way too early draft by Kiper/Mcshay have been recruited”? DK would have b/c he would be good at any position you put him @ except maybe 1 or 3 technique or OL. But, maybe not at the position he loves(WR).
Josh Wilks - big time WR prospect ( E. Michigan) maybe would not have received an opportunity. What about Jonathan Muhammad who was ranked in the top 50 @ the WR position( you know how many kids play WR now a day).
My thing is: I can already tell you the posters who will get on here and bash me! Inbox me or look at some threads last August. But, with NW right over there slinging it around the yard and you are a natural @ WR why are so many adults up in arms about a kid transfering. The same people who got at me about me having my point of view on this was all upset about NW getting rid of their coach “mid-season”! The RHSD3 transfer rule for athletics stinks of “politics”! It isn’t about making one team better than the other. How about one school wants to run I-formation and i’m this stud WR. Science is better at one school............but the kid in academia does not have to “settle for 6th best science program in the county”! Because of that kids potential in that subject no one would have an issue signing off on them going to the other school. Yet, as it applies to athletics it’s a double standard![/quote]
Right, because Megatron NEVER got the chance to go from high school to college to the pros. I wonder what offense Georgia Tech ran? Spread?

Now to the crux of your illogical argument. 95% of student-athletes DON'T go on to the next level. The "great" ones are only one good injury away from being a regular old student. A GREAT athlete will be recruited WHEREVER he is. Remember John Abraham? In Today's social media world of Twitter, Facebook, Hudl, Instagram, a great athlete on a mediocre team will be seen. Here's another news flash for you. I have heard from college coaches that say they question a kid's resolve if he transfers to another school for more stats.. He wonders if the kid will do that if his college team has a rough season or two. The "me" attitude is what's destroying high school sports. Get back to the team concept and get ready for real life!
3-3 Stack
All-American

Postby blister » Fri May 11, 2018 4:11 pm

Transfer rules are a joke. As long as a kid can provide his own transportation to the school of his choice, and also pay the proper taxes that fund said school, a kid should be able to go wherever he wants. I don't ever hear any upset folks if a kid transfers because another school has a better band, science department, or any other reason. It is only when it concerns sports that folks get territorial. And if a kid isn't happy that the school he is zoned for has a crappy football program, and would like to play in a better one, then it should be his families choice. And a choice made without penalty.
blister
Freshman

Postby 5thqtr » Fri May 11, 2018 6:08 pm

3-3 - you call my point "Illogical" because you don't agree with it. But, the problem you are going to have with me is: where is your information to back up what you are saying?
Take a look: https://www.nfhs.org/articles/transfers-present-challenges-for-state-associations/ This article is about a national transfer rule and it covers transfer rules across many states. It hits on briefly "why kids transfer"! You call it selfish and if I am getting the right sense from your text somewhat angry about people "looking out for their future"! Just suck it up right? Take one for the team right? Do the right thing even if it means you take a loss? Not getting your way builds character you will have for a life time. Sports gets you ready for the real world!
I get all of that................people make the argument about all this other stuff! "One injury away from being a plain student" is correct! I agree. And, if that is what my argument was I would co-sign with you. But, my thing is, kids transfer for better schools all the time! Better schools.............leave sports out of it!
What makes that school better? Their resources? Their reputation? ETC. Are those kids whiners, complainers? Are those parents setting their kids up to fail b/c they wanted a better say education? No. Most people who ( and I told you last time with the NW coach situation you are obviously someone likely in the profession so I guess I understand how you can't see this) are honest with themselves and not just trying to win a debate would agree.
If a parent wanting better for their kid was wrong: " why are private schools growing by leaps in bounds despite their being good public schools"?
You guys call my point all these names: but offer zero legit argument! Just like Beanie you have proven yourself to be not very knowledgeable because Calvin Johnson played in Chan Gaileys offense while at Georgia Tech. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_Johnson I probably won't even answer many more of your post! SMH!
5thqtr
All-American

Postby 5thqtr » Fri May 11, 2018 6:20 pm

[quote=“blister”]Transfer rules are a joke. As long as a kid can provide his own transportation to the school of his choice, and also pay the proper taxes that fund said school, a kid should be able to go wherever he wants. I don’t ever hear any upset folks if a kid transfers because another school has a better band, science department, or any other reason. It is only when it concerns sports that folks get territorial. And if a kid isn’t happy that the school he is zoned for has a crappy football program, and would like to play in a better one, then it should be his families choice. And a choice made without penalty.[/quote]

Preach! Good point about the taxes! So far it seems the only people real adamant about the point of view “WE Have” are likely in the coaching profession. Or maybe teachers!
They want to teach a kid “how to stay @ a dead end job b/c the other job across town with more benefits, more pay, more time off, better hours, etc “means you don’t have character”! LOL! Yeah Right! People leave for the following two words every day: BETTER OPPORTUNITY!
Nobody said, “these kids are guaranteed to get a scholarship or that life was all about sports......that’s the people who oppose saying that. Nobody said the kid is even guaranteed to start at the new school..............the OPPORTUNITY......is what the move is about!
Blister - if someone hits you or me or anyone else up and they keep that out the argument.....................“that is a indicator they making up they own story”! We talking about “OPPORTUNITY”! To which sometimes you take advantage and sometimes you don’t; but if you better your odds “most people” get that!
Last edited by 5thqtr on Fri May 11, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5thqtr
All-American

Postby blister » Fri May 11, 2018 6:21 pm

But don’t take my post wrong. While I think anyone should be able to transfer at any time they choose, I would also hasten to say that when sports related, about 90% are foolish. Way too many parents out there that think that if little Johnny was just on a better team that his true talent would be displayed. Most times, little Johnny never had the chops to begin with. Would have been much better off staying where he was, playing a relevant role, than being just another name on the real good teams roster.
blister
Freshman

Postby 5thqtr » Fri May 11, 2018 6:27 pm

[quote=“blister”]But don’t take my post wrong. While I think anyone should be able to transfer at any time they choose, I would also hasten to say that when sports related, about 90% are foolish. Way too many parents out there that think that if little Johnny was just on a better team that his true talent would be displayed. Most times, little Johnny never had the chops to begin with. Would have been much better off staying where he was, playing a relevant role, than being just another name on the real good teams roster.[/quote]

I agree 100% with this post!
I don't disagree with one word. Valid points and I have seen that happen. Kid doesn't play a lick and his/her parents spent a bunch of energy and "it didn't work out"! But......................."they had the opportunity to make it"! They maybe were just not good enough; but "they had a chance"! In a position "they wanted to be in and in a place they wanted to be in"!
5thqtr
All-American

Postby 3-3 Stack » Sun May 13, 2018 7:37 pm

[quote=“5thqtr”]3-3 - you call my point “Illogical” because you don’t agree with it. But, the problem you are going to have with me is: where is your information to back up what you are saying?
Take a look: https://www.nfhs.org/articles/transfers-present-challenges-for-state-associations/ This article is about a national transfer rule and it covers transfer rules across many states. It hits on briefly “why kids transfer”! You call it selfish and if I am getting the right sense from your text somewhat angry about people “looking out for their future”! Just suck it up right? Take one for the team right? Do the right thing even if it means you take a loss? Not getting your way builds character you will have for a life time. Sports gets you ready for the real world!
I get all of that................people make the argument about all this other stuff! “One injury away from being a plain student” is correct! I agree. And, if that is what my argument was I would co-sign with you. But, my thing is, kids transfer for better schools all the time! Better schools.............leave sports out of it!
What makes that school better? Their resources? Their reputation? ETC. Are those kids whiners, complainers? Are those parents setting their kids up to fail b/c they wanted a better say education? No. Most people who ( and I told you last time with the NW coach situation you are obviously someone likely in the profession so I guess I understand how you can’t see this) are honest with themselves and not just trying to win a debate would agree.
If a parent wanting better for their kid was wrong: ” why are private schools growing by leaps in bounds despite their being good public schools”?
You guys call my point all these names: but offer zero legit argument! Just like Beanie you have proven yourself to be not very knowledgeable because Calvin Johnson played in Chan Gaileys offense while at Georgia Tech. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_Johnson I probably won’t even answer many more of your post! SMH![/quote]

Did you actually read the article? It is saying that mid-year transfers is a bad thing and state associations should have good rules keeping it from happening.

"The NFHS and its member state associations believe having a well-defined transfer/residency requirement assists in the prevention of students changing schools in conjunction with the change of athletic seasons, thus impairing the ability for recruitment of athletes from one school to another. The NFHS and its state associations also promote the principle that a student should attend the high school in the district where the student’s parent(s) or guardian(s) reside."

Exactly what I said.As for Megatron, that WAS my mistake. I was talking about Demaryius Thomas. He was the pro-style guy recruited and then played under Johnson. He was drafted in the first round also. The reason I m opposed to sports transfers is simple. It degrades the academic purpose of the school. You say you get all of those reasons for staying in a school, but you really don't. You are still for unfettered transfers of athletic students. Sorry, but if we followed your idea, you would have students jumping school because mom or dad would say, "You aren't getting treated fairly by that coach, let's go somewhere else," when in actuality the kid isn't good enough to start or has a behavior problem or something he is doing to stymie the process. When it is all said and done a great kid will get recruited on an 0-10 team. Like I said earlier, video is king in recruiting now. The days of college coaches going to a high school game to watch a player are over. College coaches are extremely limited in their ability to visit a high school game during the season. That's why video is now used. Read this. It's a good answer as to why kids don't need to transfer to be seen.
http://therecruitingcode.com/college-co ... ool-games/
3-3 Stack
All-American

Postby 3-3 Stack » Sun May 13, 2018 7:42 pm

Here is a little research on why transferring schools is not a good idea, for whatever reason. You did ask for my "information."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3967912/
https://www.edweek.org/ew/issues/studen ... index.html
https://www.theatlantic.com/education/a ... nt/505940/
3-3 Stack
All-American

Postby SackThe_Back » Sun May 13, 2018 9:27 pm

[quote=“3-3 Stack”]Here is a little research on why transferring schools is not a good idea, for whatever reason. You did ask for my “information.”
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3967912/
https://www.edweek.org/ew/issues/studen ... index.html
https://www.theatlantic.com/education/a ... nt/505940/[/quote]
First article was a bit irrelevant-kids don't usually transfer in the middle of the season.

Others were good. You can see because of these articles why the SC Elite (York Prep, Oceanside Coll., Gray Coll., Legacy Charter) get kids. They "take care" of their athletes to some degree. If you did that at a Public School, say Fort D., the outcry would be huge. But since the charters can do their own thing, they "twist" the SCHSL rules.

If a Kid is good enough to play in collage, he will be found if his coach is competent, they player attends camps, and puts up a ton of stats. If the school has a awful coach and administration, he should be allowed to go elsewhere.

But 80% of our High School players probably won't play collage. And most schools don't outright have bad coaches and admin.
SackThe_Back
Freshman

Next

Return to Class 4A