Aiken HS

This board covers the 48 teams that make up the top classification in South Carolina. Discuss the Big 16 and Division II teams and players.

Re: Aiken HS

Postby ST Rebels 72 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:57 am

catof2006 wrote:Dont believe there was a threat to fire him. I agree they underachieved this year, but it was building until then. their offensive line was bad. But they were good enough to beat Thurmond before injuries hit. ;)

Actually, Aiken beat us while we were missing some very key players, but they still won. As for Neal, his time was up and he knew it. I know some people in Aiken and they really liked him but they were not pleased with the product he put on the field. I said it when he first got hired there that he needed to turn that program around quickly or he would be out. In four seasons Neal amassed a record of 12-30. He is one of two coaches to have an overall losing record at Aiken HS. He's had the worst 4 year stretch in school history.
PRIDE, CLASS, COURAGE AND THE WILL TO WIN
ST Rebels 72
All-American

Postby catof2006 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:50 pm

Nice research. You are right. There is a reason the successful Coach Johnson got out. His success dwindled in his last few years too. I think Aiken HS has some issues. Dont know what they are, but they should have alot more players than they do.

Neal's team last year made the playoffs for the first time in a while and they looked set to be even better this year. It just didnt happen. I do know their OL only had one player go through the season without missing substantial number of games. Their third string RB started at Guard the last 4-5 games. Not good. Hard to play at AAAA level without an OL.
catof2006
Freshman

Postby joefrombelton2 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:39 pm

ST Rebels 72 wrote:
catof2006 wrote:Dont believe there was a threat to fire him. I agree they underachieved this year, but it was building until then. their offensive line was bad. But they were good enough to beat Thurmond before injuries hit. ;)

Actually, Aiken beat us while we were missing some very key players, but they still won. As for Neal, his time was up and he knew it. I know some people in Aiken and they really liked him but they were not pleased with the product he put on the field. I said it when he first got hired there that he needed to turn that program around quickly or he would be out. In four seasons Neal amassed a record of 12-30. He is one of two coaches to have an overall losing record at Aiken HS. He's had the worst 4 year stretch in school history.

With Aiken's past success, why have they fallen on harder times lately?
joefrombelton2
Freshman

Postby jhs65 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:35 am

joefrombelton2 wrote:With Aiken's past success, why have they fallen on harder times lately?

Aiken County Politics at its finest.
Go Bluff Dogs and Clemson Tigers
jhs65
All-American

Postby Panthersfan5089 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:00 am

So what's the word on this job? Spring ball starts in a month and they still haven't even started interviewing.
Panthersfan5089
Freshman

Postby sportguy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:03 am

From what Ive heard , Coach Johnson is returning. The source says he's 90% sure
sportguy
Freshman

Postby Panthersfan5089 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:14 pm

[quote=“sportguy”]From what Ive heard , Coach Johnson is returning. The source says he’s 90% sure[/quote]

I've heard they have started interviewing, but do they have a time table when everything will happen or is there a second group of interviews coming up soon or what?
Panthersfan5089
Freshman

Postby MV4Horseman » Tue May 09, 2017 10:38 pm

Heard it was an assistant at Irmo that got the job but don't have a name. Was told at AAAA State track qualifier.
MV4Horseman
Freshman

Postby Wind » Thu May 11, 2017 8:55 am

[quote=“MV4Horseman”]Heard it was an assistant at Irmo that got the job but don’t have a name. Was told at AAAA State track qualifier.[/quote]

Montgomery. Former head coach @ Lower Richland.
Wind
JV

Postby jhs65 » Thu May 11, 2017 12:35 pm

Beware of hiring Irmo ass'ts. Look what we got at Silver Bluff.
Go Bluff Dogs and Clemson Tigers
jhs65
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Class 4A