2008 Stallions VS. 2017 Stallions**^POLL

This board covers the 48 teams that make up the top classification in South Carolina. Discuss the Big 16 and Division II teams and players.

08 Stallions or 17 Stallions. Which was better team?

Poll runs till Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:25 pm

2008 South Pointe Stallions
45%
2017 South Pointe Stallions
45%
Can't decide!
9%

Total votes : 11

Re: 2008 Stallions VS. 2017 Stallions**^POLL

Postby Wildstallion2 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:37 am

Another thing to look at is with the 2008 team, some of those same players played in three other seasons together, as also with the 2017 team, but the 2008 team only had one State Championship in those four years, and the 2017 team had four State Championships in their four years of playing together.
Wildstallion2
JV

Postby WRHIRadio » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:19 am

[quote=“Mania”]Also, NW 2008 would have beaten Shelby and Buford. Shelby ended up losing to South Point NC and Hibritin as well by 3 and 2 tds respectively. Buford just lost to Rome 45-7 only getting 5 first downs the whole game and giving up 404 rushing yards. One thing to remember is 5thqtr alluded to is that NW still had Miller and Green at linebacker. I was once told by a former Clover running back that those two were the hardest hitters and toughest defense he faced.[/quote]
You make good points, but I am looking at it from a match-up perspective. I do not believe when comparing teams from different years that you can compare opponents and scores, instead the match-ups and where those individual players were in their careers.
My belief is that Buford has an extremely fast defense and would have feasted on NW's short screen game, which is what they did very very well when Worley was a sophomore. It was his junior and senior year that developed his game into longer routes as he was forced to throw down the field because his wideouts couldn't take it the distance off of a screen during those campaigns.
But, in 2008, he didn't have the experience necessary to go through the reads of the "Air-Raid" and thus went to the screen game a lot to take advantage of Patterson, Neely, and Adams athleticism.

As for "Shrine Bowl" players and the like, you can't always judge a team based on that. Not that certain Shrine Bowlers aren't great players, but its not always the best that get selected. What I mean is Patterson was on neither all-star team. The reason? Because the offense the 2008 SC Shrine Bowl team was running didn't play into his skillset, instead, Neely's ability to play RB and Slot WR was helpful to Coach Luckadoo's offensive plans.

With all of that said, we don't know who would have won in "historical match-ups". But I stand by my belief that Buford and Shelby's defensive speed would cause all kinds of problems for the 2008 NW offense and confused Worley. 2010 would be a completely different story.

Buford and Shelby both lost to teams that run the ball nearly every play in Rome (300 yds rushing per game) and South Pointe (option based team). Big Strong running games are how you overcome a fast defense. Short passing games are how you run a BIG defense to death. NW 2008 feasted against slower defenses with their short passing game, when they faced a fast team (SP), they got blownout both times. Thats my reason, its match-ups. Buford and Shelby are extremely fast on defense, which, I believe, would cause major issues for NW 2008. But again, that is my humble opinion and I appreciate other opinions.
WRHIRadio
JV

Postby 5thqtr » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:51 pm

I will be honest; I am somewhat shocked more people so far have voted 2008. Not b/c they were not great; "they were great"! But b/c, like WildStallion02 said, " this group has done it so many more times"!
I do give offensive advantage to 2017
Defensive advantage by far to 2008
Special Teams: toss up b/c of the punt return and k/o return ability of 2008. Kicker for kicker I would give it to 2017 fairly easy. But, those things off-set thus the toss up!
Great debate! Thanks to all contributors so far; glad I am not the only one having a tough time deciding! :lol: :lol:
ImageGreat To Be A Stallion! Blessed To Live In Rock Hill!
5thqtr
All-American

Postby WRHIRadio » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:16 pm

[quote=“5thqtr”]I will be honest; I am somewhat shocked more people so far have voted 2008. Not b/c they were not great; “they were great”! But b/c, like WildStallion02 said, ” this group has done it so many more times”!
I do give offensive advantage to 2017
Defensive advantage by far to 2008
Special Teams: toss up b/c of the punt return and k/o return ability of 2008. Kicker for kicker I would give it to 2017 fairly easy. But, those things off-set thus the toss up!
Great debate! Thanks to all contributors so far; glad I am not the only one having a tough time deciding! :lol: :lol:[/quote]
I believe a lot of it depends on what you feel makes a great team. Is it future college/NFL talent? Is it record breaking stats? Is it wins and losses? Is it a combination?
How I chose 2017 is I just went position by position and felt that of the 25 starters (K/P and PR/KR team) that 2017 would win 14-15 "position battles" in my opinion, anyhow.
WRHIRadio
JV

Postby Mania » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:43 am

WRHIRadio, Worley threw 50 tds in 2008 and not every one was a short throw. Patterson was his deep threat, but Adams, Patton and Neely at tailback were great receivers. The more I think about 2008 the more I start to remember. Hakeem Adams who I mentioned actually played defensive line, but played linebacker in the North South game. The third linebacker was Brandon Williams who played in the Shrine Bowl the following year. I remember Chris Long at corner where he was a gamer
but a bit of a gambler. I remember how shocked I was in 2008 when SP beat NW, because of how loaded NW was on both sides of the ball. The sheer amount of players from that team that went on to play major college ball is staggering. Scheme-wise they were sound on both sides of the ball. They even had Shawn Ferguson as a kicker who could boot them into endzone pretty well himself.
According to many NW was robbed by the refs the previous season at Byrnes in the semis. Patterson had a td called back that clearly was and something else happened that flipped the score. They, the 2008 team, would have beaten this year’s Shelby and Buford pretty handily. 2008 South Pointe beat NW for one reason only. Bobby Carrol put a herculean amount of emphasis on his defense unlike any other coach could possibly do.
Last edited by Mania on Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mania
JV

Postby Mania » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:11 am

WildStallion, you brought up an excellent point. 4 years is awesome and each year South Pointe has graduated some good players. I truly want South Pointe to be the first team ever in this state to win 5 in a row. The run is not over. That 2008 team and others before 2017 have paved the way for the 2017 team. The 2017 team achieved greatness and as some say best ever. The 2008 team had one graduating class before them and it was small. Each played their ninth grade years as a Bearcat or a Trojan. Gilmore who would’ve started on any other team as a freshman, did not have a varsity team to play on as a freshman. He turned out okay. That 2008 team was hungry and they beat every team they played by at least 21 points. An obscure number and record I admit, but that was actually the best ever in state history. I admit that I haven’t kept up with the scores and did the digging in recent years as some of my old resourceful websites have seized to exist. This year’s team could turn it on when they had to and that is characteristic of a championship team on a run of championships. It is great for the Stallions to be able to have this conversation about two of their teams. 2008 was a mythical time for Rock Hill preps in the city. It is when the WRHI’s Gene Knight coined the phrase Football City USA.
Last edited by Mania on Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mania
JV

Postby Mania » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:01 am

As an update I did notice Dillon went undefeated in 2015 and beat Latta 21-0 as their least margin of victory tieing the 2008 SP team as the greatest least margin of victory for an undefeated team in the state's history as far as I have uncovered. I have dug through years of scores going way back. All those years and all those teams even with all these modern offenses and gameplay that not even Byrnes or Northwestern were able to best.
Mania
JV

Postby Wildstallion2 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:18 pm

One more thing about this 2017 South Pointe team that may be different from the 2008 SP team, in almost ever game in this 2017 season except for the Buford game, South Pointe only played their starters for three quarters or less, Coach Herron does not like to run up a bunch of points on other teams, he would rather bring the second and third teams in to get some reps,so in most of all South Pointes games this season they could have run up some Hugh point numbers if they wanted, and they would have set a school points record that would be hard for any future South Pointe team to beat.
Wildstallion2
JV

Postby Jsing » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:43 pm

Despite the starters being pulled and a running clock in the 4th q of a good many games, this year's team scored in 56 of the 60 quarters they played.
Jsing
Freshman

Postby Jsing » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:49 pm

And BT Potter with an astounding 117 touchbacks, which appears to be well beyond any known record on any level.
Jsing
Freshman

PreviousNext

Return to Class 4A