Luvin' Football: From the Great Lakes to South Carolina

This is the forum for those who don't want to talk trash, don't want to bash teams, etc. Just for people who want to have serious conversations about high school football.

Re: Luvin' Football: From the Great Lakes to South Carolina

Postby Wishigander » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:56 pm

cavaliereagle wrote:
Wishigander wrote:WR Jordy Nelson had his annual Packers Softball Game yesterday. This charity game between the offense and defense was originally started by Brett Farve. Then after Farve left Donald Driver took it over until he retired, now Nelson runs it.

Here is a video link on the game. Great relationship between the players and fans, all for a great cause:

http://fox11online.com/sports/packers-a ... tball-game

Great idea for a fundraiser.

Yes, so many players have done so much throughout the years. When these player charities pop up I will try to remember to share them.

I don't know if they still do this, but the police set up and live in the community at these local police liaison centers. As they walk/ride bikes throughout the community they would pass out Packers cards to the kids.

On these Packers players football cards there are little anti-drug/crime/gang, etc quotes on the back too. The quotes are from kids in the area and school they attend.

Another big event is Packers Family Night. It's basically a glorified practice at Lambeau Field. A scrimmage between the offense vs defense. But it's for families. Then they have drawings for the player's jersey they wore that night. It ends with a nice fireworks show.
Wishigander
Freshman

Postby cavaliereagle » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:12 pm

Wishigander wrote:
cavaliereagle wrote:
Wishigander wrote:WR Jordy Nelson had his annual Packers Softball Game yesterday. This charity game between the offense and defense was originally started by Brett Farve. Then after Farve left Donald Driver took it over until he retired, now Nelson runs it.

Here is a video link on the game. Great relationship between the players and fans, all for a great cause:

Yes, so many players have done so much throughout the years. When these player charities pop up I will try to remember to share them.

I don't know if they still do this, but the police set up and live in the community at these local police liaison centers. As they walk/ride bikes throughout the community they would pass out Packers cards to the kids.

On these Packers players football cards there are little anti-drug/crime/gang, etc quotes on the back too. The quotes are from kids in the area and school they attend.

Another big event is Packers Family Night. It's basically a glorified practice at Lambeau Field. A scrimmage between the offense vs defense. But it's for families. Then they have drawings for the player's jersey they wore that night. It ends with a nice fireworks show.

I believe police interaction with the community is key to safer neighborhoods. Folks have got to feel comfortable around the police.
CENTRAL EAGLES MAKE PLAYS...NOT EXCUSES
cavaliereagle
Heisman

Postby Wishigander » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:28 pm

cavaliereagle wrote:
Wishigander wrote:
cavaliereagle wrote:

I believe police interaction with the community is key to safer neighborhoods. Folks have got to feel comfortable around the police.

Green Bay by no means is like Milwaukee or Chicago, but on a smaller scale we do have our "big city problems." Really the police do a really good job interacting in these areas. They also do programs like "Shop with a Cop" where they take kids out and buy them school supplies.

When there are crimes committed, those community police officers seem to get to the root of the problem right away.

I have seen videos on TV where Packers players have done similar things interacting with the kids in the community. Talk about some good, positive role models!
Wishigander
Freshman

Postby cavaliereagle » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:32 am

Wishigander wrote:
cavaliereagle wrote:
Wishigander wrote:
cavaliereagle wrote:

Green Bay by no means is like Milwaukee or Chicago, but on a smaller scale we do have our "big city problems." Really the police do a really good job interacting in these areas. They also do programs like "Shop with a Cop" where they take kids out and buy them school supplies.

When there are crimes committed, those community police officers seem to get to the root of the problem right away.

I have seen videos on TV where Packers players have done similar things interacting with the kids in the community. Talk about some good, positive role models!

I was in Milwaukee and Chicago back in the early to mid 80's. Chicago was rough then, but Milwaukee seemed to be a pretty good place. I don't recall if I went to Green Bay. I remember Milwaukee because of all the breweries. Not sure if they still do, but back then, you could tour the breweries. I've never liked beer, but the tours were really nice.
cavaliereagle
Heisman

Postby Wishigander » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:54 am

cavaliereagle wrote:I was in Milwaukee and Chicago back in the early to mid 80's. Chicago was rough then, but Milwaukee seemed to be a pretty good place. I don't recall if I went to Green Bay. I remember Milwaukee because of all the breweries. Not sure if they still do, but back then, you could tour the breweries. I've never liked beer, but the tours were really nice.

I'm not much of a beer drinker myself. They do have many beer tours around the state (funny down south I remember more wine and whiskey tours ha ha)

Wisconsin does make the list on many "most drunk" and "heaviest drinkers" in the Country. There was an article on this today in the paper. The author stressed how embarrassing this is.
Wishigander
Freshman

Postby Wishigander » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:00 am

We heard how the SEC is stopping Michigan from holding any more spring/satellite camps down south.

Two private schools- one from New Jersey and the other Maryland, will play a football game in The Big House:

http://www.maizenbrew.com/football/2016 ... es-stadium
Wishigander
Freshman

Postby Wishigander » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:39 am

Speaking of Packers players helping the community. There is an old saying (Yes more "male orientated" but applies to all today) "GIVE a man a fish, he eats a day. TEACH a man to fish, he eats a lifetime."

Back when Reggie White was alive and played up here, he started a program called "Urban Hope" in both Wisconsin and Tennessee. The 12 week program helped train women and minorities to start their own businesses.

Some have been successful, while some haven't. A few years back I met one really, really nice young woman- a single mom who tried running a clothing store. Here she was trying to do the right thing (work) and you knew it was just a matter of time.

She was telling me the $7,000 a month rent was killing her. Then on top of the water & utilities, she had her own apartment and utilities to pay for. That same business complex had a high turnover rate of businesses that came and went. My heart went out to her. I think one day she just "shut down and took off." (Surprising how many businesses do this!)

Some have been successful. I would say those in the service industry. Restaurants and home health care seem to be doing well. But here is Reggie White' s site today:

http://urbanhopegb.org/
Wishigander
Freshman

Postby Wishigander » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:32 am

I was going to link to the Green Bay Packers profits for this past season, as well as mention the new "Title Town District" the Packers are building. But instead wanted to share and tell ya' s about the Upper Peninsula High School Football All-Star Game.

The U.P. is a portion of land that is connected to Northern Wisconsin but is part of Michigan. Michigan got this land way back in the 1800's from a "bloodless war" fought against Ohio. Ha ha true story I am serious.

Anyways the U.P. had their own football All-Star Game back in the 1950's but it died out. For years kids from the U.P. would be part of the Michigan "East-West" All-Star Game. About 7 years ago a man out of LaCrosse, WI (Todd Goldbeck) started the All-Star Game back up.

It's been a great thing. The players have to go out and solicite $1000 and although the U.P. is a "depressed economy" they pull through. They spend a week on the campus of Northern Michigan University (a D2 school) as they live in the dorms, practice but also have a media day as well as spend one day up at Bay Cliff Heath Camp. This is a camp for disabled children and the players set up football stations for the campers.

The day before the game they bring in a guest speaker. Most of them have been players from small towns in Wisconsin and the U.P. who made it to the NFL and/or have an inspirational back ground. This year it was Bob Landsee from the U.P.'s Iron Mountain, MI.

Landsee went on to play for the Wisconsin Badgers and the NFL for a few years. Iron Mountain is also where former NFL coach Steve Mariucci and current Michigan State men's basketball coach Tom Izzo are from. It's a small town not far from the Wisconsin border.

The game is played inside the "Superior Dome" which is the largest wooden dome in North America. Because of our winters many high school football play off games are held there. This year's game I understand was a great one, coming down to the last play of the game. I hope there will be highlights.

In the meantime here is a reminder of what it is like to hang up the pads for the last time & how sad it is when we are done playing the game of football:

http://abc10up.com/star-seniors-reflect ... l-careers/

Oh yes also money is raised for local charities for people in need, as well as each year money is donanted to 2 U.P. high school football programs. I believe a school also receives extra footballs too.
Wishigander
Freshman

Postby cavaliereagle » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:10 pm

Wishigander wrote:I was going to link to the Green Bay Packers profits for this past season, as well as mention the new "Title Town District" the Packers are building. But instead wanted to share and tell ya' s about the Upper Peninsula High School Football All-Star Game.

The U.P. is a portion of land that is connected to Northern Wisconsin but is part of Michigan. Michigan got this land way back in the 1800's from a "bloodless war" fought against Ohio. Ha ha true story I am serious.

Anyways the U.P. had their own football All-Star Game back in the 1950's but it died out. For years kids from the U.P. would be part of the Michigan "East-West" All-Star Game. About 7 years ago a man out of LaCrosse, WI (Todd Goldbeck) started the All-Star Game back up.

It's been a great thing. The players have to go out and solicite $1000 and although the U.P. is a "depressed economy" they pull through. They spend a week on the campus of Northern Michigan University (a D2 school) as they live in the dorms, practice but also have a media day as well as spend one day up at Bay Cliff Heath Camp. This is a camp for disabled children and the players set up football stations for the campers.

The day before the game they bring in a guest speaker. Most of them have been players from small towns in Wisconsin and the U.P. who made it to the NFL and/or have an inspirational back ground. This year it was Bob Landsee from the U.P.'s Iron Mountain, MI.

Landsee went on to play for the Wisconsin Badgers and the NFL for a few years. Iron Mountain is also where former NFL coach Steve Mariucci and current Michigan State men's basketball coach Tom Izzo are from. It's a small town not far from the Wisconsin border.

The game is played inside the "Superior Dome" which is the largest wooden dome in North America. Because of our winters many high school football play off games are held there. This year's game I understand was a great one, coming down to the last play of the game. I hope there will be highlights.

In the meantime here is a reminder of what it is like to hang up the pads for the last time & how sad it is when we are done playing the game of football:

http://abc10up.com/star-seniors-reflect ... l-careers/

Oh yes also money is raised for local charities for people in need, as well as each year money is donanted to 2 U.P. high school football programs. I believe a school also receives extra footballs too.

Why are the players forced to raise the money? Here the All Star games are paid for by ticket sales and advertisements.
cavaliereagle
Heisman

Postby Wishigander » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:37 pm

Finally some highlights!

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/con ... 22471.html

Game winning TD was with 18 seconds remaining.

I am sure many of the school names and nicknames will sound strange to most of you.
Wishigander
Freshman

PreviousNext

Return to No Trash, No Bash