What is it with the bands?

This is the forum for those who don't want to talk trash, don't want to bash teams, etc. Just for people who want to have serious conversations about high school football.

Re: What is it with the bands?

Postby rigginb » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:13 pm

bigdog2003 wrote:Here is 1 problem I have with the band, and it may not be everywhere, but they let every band parent, family member, friend, neighbor, long lost cousin in for free through a gate because they are "helping with the band". Then the halftime show starts and there are 3 people helping. Stop taking money away from the school by sneaking people in.


Trust me... it's not everywhere. My son was in the band and I helped with props for competitions. I had to pay my way in every time. Maybe your band has figured out a way to get support from the athletics by not paying admission to the games. They do, and I promise you, fork up money to help pay for other things concerning the band. Stop taking money from the school my butt... the school should support the band more in the first place. I challange you to go to one of the big band competitions just to see how much is involved... but then, you probably still wouldn't get it.
Image
User avatar
rigginb
JV
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: What is it with the bands?

Postby cavaliereagle » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:22 pm

rigginb wrote:
bigdog2003 wrote:Here is 1 problem I have with the band, and it may not be everywhere, but they let every band parent, family member, friend, neighbor, long lost cousin in for free through a gate because they are "helping with the band". Then the halftime show starts and there are 3 people helping. Stop taking money away from the school by sneaking people in.


Trust me... it's not everywhere. My son was in the band and I helped with props for competitions. I had to pay my way in every time. Maybe your band has figured out a way to get support from the athletics by not paying admission to the games. They do, and I promise you, fork up money to help pay for other things concerning the band. Stop taking money from the school my butt... the school should support the band more in the first place. I challange you to go to one of the big band competitions just to see how much is involved... but then, you probably still wouldn't get it.

Agreed!
CENTRAL EAGLES MAKE PLAYS...NOT EXCUSES
User avatar
cavaliereagle
Heisman
 
Posts: 31441
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:56 am
Location: Columbia, S.C.

Re: What is it with the bands?

Postby bigdog2003 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:46 am

rigginb wrote:
bigdog2003 wrote:Here is 1 problem I have with the band, and it may not be everywhere, but they let every band parent, family member, friend, neighbor, long lost cousin in for free through a gate because they are "helping with the band". Then the halftime show starts and there are 3 people helping. Stop taking money away from the school by sneaking people in.


Trust me... it's not everywhere. My son was in the band and I helped with props for competitions. I had to pay my way in every time. Maybe your band has figured out a way to get support from the athletics by not paying admission to the games. They do, and I promise you, fork up money to help pay for other things concerning the band. Stop taking money from the school my butt... the school should support the band more in the first place. I challange you to go to one of the big band competitions just to see how much is involved... but then, you probably still wouldn't get it.


Schools don't support anything equally. They spend more on the things that bring in the most money. Most team budgets are completly from booster club accounts and fundraising, not from the school.

And you are right, I will never get it about the band, don't want to. I don't go to see things I have no interest in, and marching band is one of them. I have never understood it, never will, never want to. I will just sit through half time and listen to them play the songs.
bigdog2003
Varsity
 
Posts: 638
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: What is it with the bands?

Postby mayorofhooterville » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:51 pm

I heard a coach one day say this:
He finally agreed to go to a band competition because all of the band members asked him to go, since they DID play music for his games.
He went to it, giving up a Saturday and showed his coaching pass to get in.
They said they didn't honor it and he would have to pay to go in.
His argument was, bands get into free for every single game they attend, yet, coaches, players and other game personnel have to pay.
It might be more football personnel going to the competitions if all of them allowed their own teams to get in free.
mayorofhooterville
JV
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:27 pm

Re: What is it with the bands?

Postby A.T.C.Finch » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:32 am

I jumped over here from the 4a board....interesting topics.

Personally, i see the bands running amuck. In my hayday...bands supported the sport teams...in today's climate it seems the bands are there for its own benefit.

The band plays a piece to get ready for its "war of the bands". After half time they are gone.

During football game "rarely" does the band "fire up" the crowd...more focus on their own "pitch".

I here in some schools like Wando the band controls the posting of signs at the stadium...and the football team gets no $$$. And I am not whistling like a pig!
Go Figure
Finch
A.T.C.Finch
Freshman
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: What is it with the bands?

Postby truefan1 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:25 am

I personally enjoy the band's performance and appreciate all the hard work that goes into it. Having had kids in the band. I know it is almost impossible for any band member to have a part time job or accept weekend invitations from friends because of their schedule. I absolutely think that the band adds to the excitement of the team coming onto the field and the other pre-game rituals.
As for the half time show, the people who are not interested usually go to the concession area, etc. anyway.
For those of you who miss the variety of fight songs and involvement of the band to get the fans fired up, etc., I can see your point. Perhaps a good solution would be to have a pep band in addition to the marching band and that way only the students who are interested in the football tradition would be involved. Frankly I would like to see a similar group of pep band students at basketball games as well. It seems to me that anything to get more student and fan involvement would be a win, win situation.
Actually I have heard the same type of comments made regarding the cheerleaders and I have to admit that I love it when you see the cheerleaders following the team up and down the field and having the actual cheer relate to what is happening on the field---hold that line, block that punt, whatever. I noticed that Sumpter did that a few years back at a playoff game and I was a little jealous.
Just my two cents on the subject......
truefan1
Freshman
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: What is it with the bands?

Postby truefan1 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:45 am

Please note that I said a pep band IN ADDITION TO the marching band, not in place of it.
truefan1
Freshman
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: What is it with the bands?

Postby Rbmn9529 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:50 pm

cavaliereagle wrote:
Talent2 wrote:as a former high school band member it is very hard to have a uniform ready for every member by the first game, you have to remember that unlike football most bands are run with the band students paying $500+ in fees. Fees that are needed to get uniforms cleaned and fitted, to pay for buses, because for some reason the band can't use the schools bus ( may not be that way for all schools ) to pay for music that they play in the stands.

And as for playing in the stands, if you only have one song something is wrong and you probably should not have showed up, and while I think every band should play the national anthem on the field, I remember being told a lot time were not playing it because they want someone from chorus to sing it, or they would rather have a recordingor they just want us off the field. (head coach did not like the band on his field)

And for the half time show, for the first game it is very common to only have the first couple of minutes of your show done. Most go to there first completion with only a third of there show complete. I march in college now and we will not have a complete show for our first home game and we will be wearing polos to our first game (although it an away game)

I've, at one time or another been a member of the booster clubs at several different high schools. I've never heard of fees anywhere near that level. Someone really stuck it to you.


I was band dad for 4 years. They only play one song at halftime, because it gives them practice for their show. Dprman plays patriotic and school songs before the games,during the game (fight songs), and after the game . UNiforms get dirty, PITA to keep washing, so they wear shorts until the main dress rehearsals before competition time.
$500 is about normal, wando is ALOT more...but they win all the time, so...
Big hitter, the Lama...

-Carl Spackler
User avatar
Rbmn9529
Varsity
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:25 pm
Location: East Bumstead, Pennsyltucky

Re: What is it with the bands?

Postby cupidsrose » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:56 am

Hi, everybody, I am a new friend.
cupidsrose
Freshman
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:53 am

Re: What is it with the bands?

Postby truefan1 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:07 am

Welcome!
truefan1
Freshman
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:29 pm

PreviousNext

Return to No Trash, No Bash

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest