Where do charter schools fit in SC HS sports landscape?

This board covers the teams playing in Class 5A in South Carolina.

Where do charter schools fit in SC HS sports landscape?

Postby bhmccorm » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:08 pm

York Prep is trying to find its place, may be joining the SCHSL. They don't have football (yet), but are a big basketball power that made some waves last year when their coach admitted he recruited players because YPA didn't belong to any governing body. Oceanside Collegiate and Gray Collegiate are providing York Prep a blueprint to follow for gaining SCHSL membership http://www.heraldonline.com/sports/high ... 92299.html

what are y'all's thoughts?
bhmccorm
Freshman

Re: Where do charter schools fit in SC HS sports landscape?

Postby racincowboy02 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:57 am

How can you tell them no? I mean if they were under a governing body then they would have to follow the same rules as everybody else. That means that there won't be any recruiting cause that is not allowed under SCHSL rules
racincowboy02
All-American

Postby 3-3 Stack » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:44 pm

[quote=“racincowboy02”]How can you tell them no? I mean if they were under a governing body then they would have to follow the same rules as everybody else. That means that there won’t be any recruiting cause that is not allowed under SCHSL rules[/quote]
Don't play them unless they join the HSL, follow the rules and are accredited through SACS.
3-3 Stack
All-American

Postby racincowboy02 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:53 am

3-3 Stack wrote:[quote=“racincowboy02”]How can you tell them no? I mean if they were under a governing body then they would have to follow the same rules as everybody else. That means that there won’t be any recruiting cause that is not allowed under SCHSL rules

Don't play them unless they join the HSL, follow the rules and are accredited through SACS.[/quote]

OK 3-3 Stack you gotta educate me on the SACS accredidation Im not familiar
racincowboy02
All-American

Postby 3-3 Stack » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:02 pm

racincowboy02 wrote:
3-3 Stack wrote:[quote=“racincowboy02”]How can you tell them no? I mean if they were under a governing body then they would have to follow the same rules as everybody else. That means that there won’t be any recruiting cause that is not allowed under SCHSL rules

Don't play them unless they join the HSL, follow the rules and are accredited through SACS.

OK 3-3 Stack you gotta educate me on the SACS accredidation Im not familiar[/quote]
SACS is the academic accreditation group. They accredit public high schools and colleges in the South.

http://www.sacs.org/
3-3 Stack
All-American

Postby racincowboy02 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:12 pm

OK Cool man thanks for the info
racincowboy02
All-American

Postby 3-3 Stack » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:47 am

racincowboy02 wrote:OK Cool man thanks for the info

That way you aren't playing a "sports mill" that's only out there to pull academically marginal athletes from schools with the "promise" to get them a scholarship.
3-3 Stack
All-American

Postby joefrombelton2 » Mon May 07, 2018 2:30 pm

[quote=“racincowboy02”]How can you tell them no? I mean if they were under a governing body then they would have to follow the same rules as everybody else. That means that there won’t be any recruiting cause that is not allowed under SCHSL rules[/quote]

Don't kid yourself, the schools you mentioned are still recruiting. It won't stop.
joefrombelton2
Freshman

Postby 5thqtr » Wed May 09, 2018 8:34 pm

BHMCCORM - see the thread I just started about the transfer rule. Whether charter schools "fit in SC HS Sports" or not won't be the question soon. The question will be; "why are so many of these local athletes going to private schools like a York Prep"?
Hey, if the academics is supposedly of a better quality. If the curriculum is "allegedly" going to prepare me better for college. And, "if I can also play sports and play the position I think will best support my hopes of a college scholarship offer; plus more exposure for said scholarship hopeful scholarship" why would they not? It already happens up north. The best players go to private schools. We have enough quality public schools down here so it hasn't turned to that just yet. But, with administrators "choking the life out athletics" every chance they get in the "so called name of fairness"! It will happen! Did Zion Williamson play in a public school or a Charter school? The kid from Charleston ( 6'10 kid ) did he?
Keep in mind: I GET THAT IS NOT THE MISSION OF THAT TEAM SPORTS PROGRAM! I do. I really do; but the way the rule was worked just fine. This new rule stepped out of bounds and despite it not being the schools responsibility to get that offer. Or put you in position. Again I get it. It does make parents think about that debt (college tuition)their kid will be in; they QUITE POSSIBLY DID NOT HAVE TO BE IN HAD THEIR KID GOT SOME LOOKS AT THE POSITION THEY EXCEL IN. There are no guarantees. There is nobody who owes you a da em nin thing! I get that; but in life you have to at least "try". Try to put yourself in the best position for success! I think back at some of the kids who played at Rock Hill High who would have been amazing WR. But, they never got the opportunity to showcase their skill. Could they have gone to camp? Maybe, but from what I know of it, you have to have decent enough film to get invited to camp so you can be evaluated 1st. Or what if your a PP and the team only is looking at DT-QB or option QB's. Imagine Mason Rudolph @ NW and they ran the flex bone. He would have switched positions or did the team thing cause he is a good kid. But, MAYBE never would have excelled at it like he did at "what he was really good at"! It's a no brainer and stubborn and hard headedness will continue the more people don't like it. No skin of their backs!
Some of them: "if there was no sports they would be fine with it"! And they have tried taking the physical out of everything from schools to prison and have found there is an opposite reaction that isn't pleasant. Whoa, wait another subject for another thread. Here is wishing they would relax for all the former Bearcats who never had a choice but to block when they could have been amazing WR's. Or Trojans who would have been more suited to power football.
ImageGreat To Be A Stallion! Blessed To Live In Rock Hill!
5thqtr
All-American

Postby Beanie » Thu May 10, 2018 12:57 pm

Between this and the transfer rule, you seem upset that South Pointe won't be able to continue to stock their roster with kids from across town as if the kids zoned for you aren't enough. It's also ridiculous that you equate athletics to science. Get a grip.
Beanie
Freshman

Next

Return to Class 5A