South Pointe coach wins big national award

This board covers the teams playing in Class 5A in South Carolina.

South Pointe coach wins big national award

Postby bhmccorm » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:08 am

bhmccorm
Freshman

Re: South Pointe coach wins big national award

Postby AMA-MAN » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:54 pm

Strait Herron is a winner no doubt.
AMA-MAN
Freshman

Postby DeCavelier » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:47 am

EGODZ!

So what is there to prevent another school from scraping some insane deal together to get Herron to part with South Pointe?

You can’t discuss Gutshall’s retirement because he just lost the title by 1 point in ‘17 so he’s automatically qualified to coach for the foreseeable future. But the Cav fans who tend to get anzy and impatient can’t help wondering about the future. My wish is to see a graceful and mutually beneficial exit and transfer of power when Mr. Gutshall decides he’s had enough.

I can think of 4 teams at this moment who’d interview Gutshall if he went his separate way next season. Byrnes, Gaffney, Spartanburg, and Summerville. Hell, who else would take Gutshall over your current coach?

Still I just hope the powers that be are ready and that they go after a proven winner. I just don’t really believe in promoting from within. I’d love to see them approach someone like Herron one day and say, “What would it take to get you on board with us?”

I confess I don’t know much about the process.

Discuss?
“Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine.”- Elvis Presley
DeCavelier
All-American

Postby Terminator » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:46 am

I'm not sure that the deal has to be that insane. If you look at last years salaries sheet he makes less than 80K a year. Compared to some coaches getting close to $110k a year, that is a big difference.

http://www.thestate.com/news/databases/ ... 53482.html
Terminator
Freshman

Postby region2 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:48 pm

Doubt he would care to leave that talent pool. One can win all the awards in the world, and figure Herron is a pretty good coach. But there are a lot of coaches every bit as talented. But often the success has as much, or more, with the talent that rolls through a certain school. And for whatever reason, South Pointe has been more than blessed in that category.
region2
All-American

Return to Class 5A