Gaffney rumor

This board covers the teams playing in Class 5A in South Carolina.

Gaffney rumor

Postby southerntide » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:53 pm

Jim Baxter of SCVarsity and now Carolina Preps is reporting that his sources tell him Dan Jones is out at the end of this season and Scott Early will replace him. JB and Coach Early are tight, so I would think this rumor has legs. JB says that if it comes true, Gaffney wins it all in 2018.
southerntide
Freshman

Re: Gaffney rumor

Postby thedoctor » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:14 pm

[quote=“southerntide”]Jim Baxter of SCVarsity and now Carolina Preps is reporting that his sources tell him Dan Jones is out at the end of this season and Scott Early will replace him. JB and Coach Early are tight, so I would think this rumor has legs. JB says that if it comes true, Gaffney wins it all in 2018.[/quote]

Please let this be true, Early has won games, but his team are so undisciplined and will never win the big ones. Plus, now that Hanna has replaced him as top dog in the Anderson, he runs for the hills.
thedoctor
Varsity

Postby Colbyc36 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:39 am

Not sure he is a good fit for Gaffney. He seems to be a bit of a tumble weed.
http://www.thestate.com/sports/high-sch ... 35357.html
Colbyc36
All-American

Postby DHSCavsFan » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:19 am

southerntide wrote:Jim Baxter of SCVarsity and now Carolina Preps is reporting that his sources tell him Dan Jones is out at the end of this season and Scott Early will replace him. JB and Coach Early are tight, so I would think this rumor has legs. JB says that if it comes true, Gaffney wins it all in 2018.

I think that will be a terrible choice for coach at Gaffney, look at his track record, really no place for more than 2 or 3 years. Believe me, those schools were ready for him to leave. Plus I do not think Gaffney will pay 6 figures for a coach. If JB is reporting that with info from Scott with no source from Gaffney, all that means Early wants the job. There are plenty of coaches for Gaffney to choose from.
DHSCavsFan
Varsity

Postby DeCavelier » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:38 am

Early sure does seem to bring a lot of baggage with him. And do you really want put s target on your back considering the Rebs LOATHE Early.

Here's what I predict. He isn't prepared for the hysterical Indian fans. Does he think he's courting a calm and reasonable fan base?

Man he sure does have a bad reputation. Then again he's also got something to prove. Remember the year he promised to meet Bentley in the playoffs and then couldn't get past blythewood? Man, a whole bunch of new "early" jokes came of it.

Hope it works out. I'm sure he'll be quick out of the gate. Question is can he grow and pace his self?
“Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine.”- Elvis Presley
DeCavelier
All-American

Postby thedoctor » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:40 am

[quote=“DHSCavsFan”][quote=“southerntide”]Jim Baxter of SCVarsity and now Carolina Preps is reporting that his sources tell him Dan Jones is out at the end of this season and Scott Early will replace him. JB and Coach Early are tight, so I would think this rumor has legs. JB says that if it comes true, Gaffney wins it all in 2018.[/quote]

I think that will be a terrible choice for coach at Gaffney, look at his track record, really no place for more than 2 or 3 years. Believe me, those schools were ready for him to leave. Plus I do not think Gaffney will pay 6 figures for a coach. If JB is reporting that with info from Scott with no source from Gaffney, all that means Early wants the job. There are plenty of coaches for Gaffney to choose from.[/quote]

I agree, I know most Gaffney fans would much rather have Donnie Littlejohn just be promoted to HC.
thedoctor
Varsity

Postby region2 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:00 am

Have no idea if Early would stay for a long time. One would think, in fact he as much as said in an interview earlier this year, that he would like to get back to the midlands. But if true, a great catch for Gaffney. He will win big, and on a consistent level. Not the ambassador type so don't expect him to show up at the local breakfast place to trade ideas with supporters, but a guy that will give the Gaffney town the consistent level of play they have been looking for.
region2
All-American

Postby tomahawk97 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:21 pm

Dan is leaving but it will be a open search and with a search committee assembled to help make the hire...the best 2 choices to alot of Gaffney people would be Hodge from Chapman and Ware from near by Shelby high school NC...we could pay both of them more than what there making at there current schools
tomahawk97
JV

Postby newcatntown » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:34 pm

Dang...yall biotch even when you here Dan is leaving!!! :o
I hope y all win state this year!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maybe this year is the year of the CAT...either Bobcat or Bearcat!!!!!!
newcatntown
All-American

Postby Chief Whoa » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:59 pm

[quote=“region2”]Have no idea if Early would stay for a long time. One would think, in fact he as much as said in an interview earlier this year, that he would like to get back to the midlands. But if true, a great catch for Gaffney. He will win big, and on a consistent level. Not the ambassador type so don’t expect him to show up at the local breakfast place to trade ideas with supporters, but a guy that will give the Gaffney town the consistent level of play they have been looking for.[/quote]

He is engaged to a lady with deep Gaffney ties. They will have to "open the job" but I think this is a done deal!
Chief Whoa
All-American

Next

Return to Class 5A