Chapman 7v7 Thursday June 29..

This board covers the teams playing in Class 5A in South Carolina.

Re: Chapman 7v7 Thursday June 29..

Postby STChamp 92 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:55 am

Yes, Boiling Springs went 10-0 ... Gaffney struggled without Dennis Smith who will be out probably until the 3rd game of the year with a muscle dislocation in his shoulder.. young guys really have to catch up .. gonna take a lot of work.. Boiling Springs meanwhile has emerged as a team not dropping off anytime soon.
STChamp 92
All-American

Postby 1CANNON » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:27 am

[quote=“STChamp 92”]Yes, Boiling Springs went 10-0 ... Gaffney struggled without Dennis Smith who will be out probably until the 3rd game of the year with a muscle dislocation in his shoulder.. young guys really have to catch up .. gonna take a lot of work.. Boiling Springs meanwhile has emerged as a team not dropping off anytime soon.[/quote]

Rick Tate ;)
YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH!
1CANNON
All-American

Postby STChamp 92 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:12 pm

You like Rick? I mean, he's been there forever.. I feel like a lot of their success had to do with the S&C Coach Hawkins who has apparently left now.. I think he's at Woodmont , left Boiling Springs. Plus the fact that half the school is Gaffney blood, I guess my kids will be included in that in a couple years. lol.. oh well, I AIN'T moving back to Gaffney, too far to drive to work.
STChamp 92
All-American

Postby BSFootballDad » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:01 pm

I will say that this my first post, but have read the various interesting talks and conversations on this board. Often very comical, often very insightful, very often full of information that is “iffy” on truth at best. My post is not meant to make anyone mad and certainly, not pointed at anyone in particular, although my thoughts may be lead from post I have read, so they may seem directional.

As a dad of a Boiling Springs football player, I may or not not have as much information, or correct information (because our kids always tell us the truth right?) as some of you, but will shed my opinion.

Yesterday’s 7 on 7 at Chapman was full of a lot of great talent, from a lot of teams that were there. As a follower of high school football for many years and now with having a son playing, I have seen the talent level in our area, and it is scary as to how good they are. The linemen are huge, the receivers and running backs run like deer and the quarterbacks make throws that are unbelievable. I was only able to see a couple of games after lunch when the tourney started, so I don’t have a lot of information in the pre-lunch pool games.

I would agree with the post above that Gaffney didn’t seem to be clicking on all cylinders, but we all know that Gaffney IS Gaffney and will always be a force. If they had a young man out or hurt, that would make a lot of sense. I only saw them on a side field, versus Clinton I think, and that was late in the day. Spartanburg, I didn’t see a lot of, so I have no comment on them. They were not in the semis or finals, so maybe they were missing some or had some hurt too? Greer was a surprise to me! Very athletic, and we’re playing well at the end of the tourney. Chapman too, seemed to be very polished and played with poise. Against BS, they had some crucial drops but that is why the kids work, to get better. And that goes for all teams. BS was a little sluggish right after lunch but came on strong down the stretch. They had a big win over Chapman in the semis and handled Greer pretty well in the finals, but, I will say that with my “unprofessional eye” it seemed Greer may have been running low in the ole gas department, so that is something they can fix.

Now, just my soapbox about Coach Tate. Coach Tate is a players coach. Now, do all players love him? I have no idea? My son says that he works them and puts in time just like every other coach on staff. During practices, he jumps in and coaches groups (defense I think?) as well as coaches special teams. He takes up for the kids on Thursday and Friday nights and never places blame, but to get better. So my question is, what does a coach being at a school forever have to do with anything or the way the team plays. Success is something that is different to everyone, but the success of a football team or program doesn’t lie with one man. The success of BS over the last couple of years is by a group of people starting with the players who have bought into a system. The bodies of these players are changed (and forgive me as I had to ask my son) by Coach Monoski, the 9th grade strength and conditioning coach, and Coach Diehl, the high school strength and conditioning coach. Coach Hawkins, as valuable as he was in changing some of the school climate on winning, was the assistant strength and conditioning coach, who did move to Woodmont and hopefully will have much success there.

Spartanburg County, and yes, I will thrown in Cherokee and Union County, will have great talent and should be fun to watch every Friday night.

Just my thoughts
BSFootballDad
Freshman

Postby 1CANNON » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:18 pm

I was thinking he'd been there as HC for 5 years???

In that time frame the Bulldogs have came up.
YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH!
1CANNON
All-American

Previous

Return to Class 5A