Hope you're happy Byrnes fans!

This board covers the teams playing in Class 5A in South Carolina.

Re: Hope you're happy Byrnes fans!

by DHSCavsFan » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:53 am

Okay Byrnes fans:

Miller is not coming back, what I have been told through the grapevine, he is very happy at Spartanburg. And yes he did leave Byrnes to get away from Bentley, he does not dislike Bentley, but it was hard to be the boss of someone that was your boss. If Miller had stayed at Byrnes, he would be retired right now from SC coaching in NC or GA. I do not know when he will retire now, I think he stays the first 2 seasons at the new school. No way he comes back, too many advantages at SHS that Byrnes do not have.

Knox is not coming either. Why would he leave Dutch Fork? He is getting paid well (do not think Byrnes can match it), and he loves to recruit the Irmo area. Remember the school district that Dutch Fork is in, also has Irmo and Chapin in it. Plus it is a school choice school district. Much harder to recruit in Spartanburg, since each high school has it own school district.

Earley is not coming either. Has great success at Westside, sort of reminds me of Spartanburg, always have had talent, just needed the right coach. Not saying that Byrnes does not have as much talent, but why leave a program that you have already built. Byrnes cannot pay him the 125,000 that he is making either. I think he is the AD at the school, which allows him that pay. Earley would not be the AD at Byrnes.

Byrnes will find them a good coach, might go out of state to get him. Just do not think it will be anybody local.
DHSCavsFan
Varsity

by ByrnesFBlegend09 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:44 am

Strictly a question but the names I keep seeing are gillespie, elder, and korn. What exactly makes any of these guys qualified other than being byrnes guys. gillespie has the oc state championship I saw in a previous post, but has elder really won anything worth giving him the byrnes job ? korn is a college coach but has not had any head coaching experience. just wondering what everyones viewpoint is on that or if i dont know something about those particular candidates
ByrnesFBlegend09
Freshman

by baller4life » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:19 pm

Not sure that it make them qualified unless they just want to hire them because they played at Byrnes. Byrnes should be looking at guys that have won state titles either as a HC, OC,DC. Those guys know the grind it takes through the season and the off season. Would coach G have to give up his AD spot to be the head guy? If he does not produce then he really has cut his own throat because they would hire a AD for his spot. Not sure it would be worth it for him. Early is a good coach but what titles has he won? What titles has Elder and Korn won? What coaches would be great candidates outside the Byrnes family that have been successful the past 6 years. Thats is where I would start first and then venture out to other candidates from out of state.
baller4life
Freshman

by daCoacher » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:44 pm

The Westside Coach is NOT the AD.
What has he won? A lot of games and a state title at MB. Wherever he goes he wins and ALWAYS leaves the program better than when he arrived. Look at Chapin, Lexington, MB, Westside.

You must decide- if you want a winner who brings a proven track record and money
or another BYRNES SLAPPY.
Those that can do... those that can't coach.
daCoacher
JV

by BYRNES#1 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:43 pm

Coach G was C team coach for many years & over that time I cant remember a time that the C team didnt go undefeated. Why does this matter? Well maybe it doesnt, but IMO it seems to me he was trusted to get those kids ready for Friday nights, & State title after State title makes it hard to argue that. Bentley entrusted him enough to give that responsibility & he excelled at obviously, after Bentley left he was given the OC job in 2008 & was able to help lead the Rebels to a 14-1 record & another State Title.
I think he would do a great job if he's offered the job.

Richardson is another name Im hearing but not sure he would leave Clemson to drop back down to the high school level.
Im guess time will tell. I just pray those in charge of making this hire do so based on the mans ability to motivate kids & assistant coaches to give their very best each & every day, one that has the vision & motivation along with the work ethic to make Byrnes one of the best in this country. If they hire a man like that then State Titles will once again become the norm at Byrnes high school. :D
I dont give em hell, I just tell them the truth & they think its hell.
BYRNES#1
Heisman

by baller4life » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:13 pm

I don't see Richardson leave a college gig to back to high school level in the first year of getting to a BCS school. If i am mistaken someone let me know, but Richardson coached once before at a small college and he has always wanted to go back to college, NW just happened to the path he had to take. Did byrnes go after him in 2013 before hiring Lane, if yes and he did not take it, he won't take it this time. I would go after Richardson DC at NW.
baller4life
Freshman

by ByrnesFBlegend09 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:22 pm

BYRNES#1 wrote:Coach G was C team coach for many years & over that time I cant remember a time that the C team didnt go undefeated. Why does this matter? Well maybe it doesnt, but IMO it seems to me he was trusted to get those kids ready for Friday nights, & State title after State title makes it hard to argue that. Bentley entrusted him enough to give that responsibility & he excelled at obviously, after Bentley left he was given the OC job in 2008 & was able to help lead the Rebels to a 14-1 record & another State Title.

Richardson is another name Im hearing but not sure he would leave Clemson to drop back down to the high school level.
Im guess time will tell. I just pray those in charge of making this hire do so based on the mans ability to motivate kids & assistant coaches to give their very best each & every day, one that has the vision & motivation along with the work ethic to make Byrnes one of the best in this country. If they hire a man like that then State Titles will once again become the norm at Byrnes high school. :D

I appreciate the background. gillespie was not c team coach when i was coming through school and Kelly was my nephews c team coach so wasn't aware of the record, just knew gillespie was the one under bentley. what about korn and elder ? do you think they could handle a program like byrnes with little to no experience ?
ByrnesFBlegend09
Freshman

by BYRNES#1 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:59 pm

ByrnesFBlegend09 wrote:
BYRNES#1 wrote:Coach G was C team coach for many years & over that time I cant remember a time that the C team didnt go undefeated. Why does this matter? Well maybe it doesnt, but IMO it seems to me he was trusted to get those kids ready for Friday nights, & State title after State title makes it hard to argue that. Bentley entrusted him enough to give that responsibility & he excelled at obviously, after Bentley left he was given the OC job in 2008 & was able to help lead the Rebels to a 14-1 record & another State Title.

I appreciate the background. gillespie was not c team coach when i was coming through school and Kelly was my nephews c team coach so wasn't aware of the record, just knew gillespie was the one under bentley. what about korn and elder ? do you think they could handle a program like byrnes with little to no experience ?

I never sell anyone short on their abilities to do something. Those guys are not proven, BUT neither was Bentley & it took him 3 or 4 years to really get Byrnes turned back around. All these guys have an advantage because they all have first hand experience as to how a well oiled machine should look & be ran, they all were a part of it. With that being said, so was Coach Lane & we all see how that worked out. I remember like it was yesterday when Bentley was saying his goodbyes, he said "all the next coach had to do was just drive the bus". In other words all they hard work was done, the foundation was laid, the little league was in place, the kids had bought in, the community had bought in, & it was as simple as staying on top of things & not changing anything. Well little things were changed here & there & the more these things were changed, the more Byrnes football came back to the field IMO.

Korn & Elder both are outstanding young men & will with out a doubt be great head coaches some day, will it be at Byrnes? I have no idea, but I certainly wouldnt bet against them. No matter who the head man is, the next great coach we get I hope will be content with being a community hero, kinda like Mckissick for Summerville. I wont hold my breath on that one, loyalty in todays world isnt what it use to be, but still would be nice to have that.
I dont give em hell, I just tell them the truth & they think its hell.
BYRNES#1
Heisman

by GCRVT16 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:03 pm

I'd love to see Gillespie get it. Miller didn't like what he saw a few weeks back when he came to Nixon for the 9th grade and JV game it made him sick. Sick to see what he built looking over the sidelines at coaches acting like a bunch of ass monkeys. It's his if he wants it and he himself said everything was OPEN. Sure he might be happy at Spartanburg, but he doesn't like driving by something every morning he built and see it falling apart either. Btw whoever said Byrnes couldn't pony up the money to pay Miller is crazy. Byrnes will have the nicest most state of the art football stadium in a few seasons, but I don't hear anyone complaining about Nixon other than the visitors.
GCRVT16
Freshman

by likeitRnot » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:07 pm

I think Coach G would do a great job but he also had Coach Kelly as his DC all those years! Would this bring some conflict?
likeitRnot
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Class 5A