Class 5A - Region 3 scenarios

This board covers the teams playing in Class 5A in South Carolina.

Re: Class 5A - Region 3 scenarios

Postby DHSCavsFan » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:52 pm

oli3 wrote:
Just one of those quirky rules. If a 3 way tie happens on a #2 seed or below, you include records against higher seeds to see if that breaks the tie. The last resort to a 3 way tie is the difference in points after the 3rd Q, which I think it is quirky too.

Hmmm.... yeah, VERY quirky if that's the rule. Let's try it:

Dorman, Spartanburg and Gaffney are tied for second, each would be 1-1 against each other without including Boiling Springs. If you add in each team's result against Boiling Springs, Dorman would be 2-1, and both Spartanburg and Gaffney would be 1-2. Would that mean that Dorman would get the second seed?

Or do you add Boiling Springs in only at the points stage? ?? I dunno.

Okay, REALLY quirky, then. :lol:

It is not really the record, but close. Apparently all the ADs in region 3 have agree this week on this. Go back to TrojanGrad78 post in this thread and look at the point system for the region tie breaker with 3 schools.

1. Boiling Springs - worth 7 points
T2. Dorman - Worth 5 points
T2. Spartanburg - Worth 5 points
T2. Gaffney - Worth 5 points
5. Byrnes - Worth 3 points

So Dorman would have 12 points total, since Dorman beat Boiling Springs. Gaffney and Spartanburg would have 8 points each. This is with Byrnes beating Dorman and Gaffney beating Spartanburg.

Region finish would be.

1 Boiling Springs vs Clover (if Rock Hill loses to Northwestern)
2 Dorman vs Fort Mill/ Nations Ford loser
3 Gaffney vs Fort Mill/ Nations Ford winner
4 Spartanburg vs Northwestern
5 Byrnes
DHSCavsFan
Varsity

Postby trojangrad78 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:44 pm

As of this moment, there is no OFFICIAL announcement from any region as to how any region in the state will do tie-breaking.

The SCHSL is letting each region use their own criteria in determining how breaking ties will be done.
trojangrad78
All-American

Postby Victory6 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:59 pm

DHSCavsFan wrote:
oli3 wrote:
Just one of those quirky rules. If a 3 way tie happens on a #2 seed or below, you include records against higher seeds to see if that breaks the tie. The last resort to a 3 way tie is the difference in points after the 3rd Q, which I think it is quirky too.

Hmmm.... yeah, VERY quirky if that's the rule. Let's try it:

Dorman, Spartanburg and Gaffney are tied for second, each would be 1-1 against each other without including Boiling Springs. If you add in each team's result against Boiling Springs, Dorman would be 2-1, and both Spartanburg and Gaffney would be 1-2. Would that mean that Dorman would get the second seed?

Or do you add Boiling Springs in only at the points stage? ?? I dunno.

Okay, REALLY quirky, then. :lol:

It is not really the record, but close. Apparently all the ADs in region 3 have agree this week on this. Go back to TrojanGrad78 post in this thread and look at the point system for the region tie breaker with 3 schools.

1. Boiling Springs - worth 7 points
T2. Dorman - Worth 5 points
T2. Spartanburg - Worth 5 points
T2. Gaffney - Worth 5 points
5. Byrnes - Worth 3 points

So Dorman would have 12 points total, since Dorman beat Boiling Springs. Gaffney and Spartanburg would have 8 points each. This is with Byrnes beating Dorman and Gaffney beating Spartanburg.

Region finish would be.

1 Boiling Springs vs Clover (if Rock Hill loses to Northwestern)
2 Dorman vs Fort Mill/ Nations Ford loser
3 Gaffney vs Fort Mill/ Nations Ford winner
4 Spartanburg vs Northwestern
5 Byrnes

If Spartanburg falls to 4th place in the region and get to play Northwestern in the first round i think i'm in favor of that!! ;) We could go ahead and get the heavy weight out the way, and cruise to state!! :D

5A BIG BOYS!!.jpg
5A BIG BOYS!!.jpg (76.03 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
**ONCE A VIKING, ALWAYS A VIKING**
Victory6
All-American

Postby trojangrad78 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:05 pm

No matter what happens in any of the remaining Region 3 and Region 4 games, Northwestern IS the 1st place team in Region 4 and will play the 4th place team of Region 3 in the first round of the playoffs on Fri Nov 18 in Rock Hill.
trojangrad78
All-American

Postby Victory6 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:45 am

trojangrad78 wrote:No matter what happens in any of the remaining Region 3 and Region 4 games, Northwestern IS the 1st place team in Region 4 and will play the 4th place team of Region 3 in the first round of the playoffs on Fri Nov 18 in Rock Hill.

The Vikings WILL be Region 3 Champs and Nortwestern will be Region 4 Champs. We will meet again. ;) .....since the Vikings aren't playing tonight the song of the week will be dedicated to our rematch!! :D

https://youtu.be/xz4YQZ01Q_A

I can't wait!!.....**GO VIKINGS**
**ONCE A VIKING, ALWAYS A VIKING**
Victory6
All-American

Postby Vikings89 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:04 am

Victory6 wrote:
trojangrad78 wrote:No matter what happens in any of the remaining Region 3 and Region 4 games, Northwestern IS the 1st place team in Region 4 and will play the 4th place team of Region 3 in the first round of the playoffs on Fri Nov 18 in Rock Hill.

The Vikings WILL be Region 3 Champs and Nortwestern will be Region 4 Champs. We will meet again. ;) .....since the Vikings aren't playing tonight the song of the week will be dedicated to our rematch!! :D

https://youtu.be/xz4YQZ01Q_A

I can't wait!!.....**GO VIKINGS**

I repeat "THE VIKINGS WILL BE REGION 3 CHAMPS". Northwestern
better be ready for the SECOND TIME AROUND.....
Vikings89
Varsity

Postby oli3 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:25 pm

trojangrad78 wrote:This is copied directly from page 2 of the SCHSL rules handbook.

Trojangrad78, now that I have looked at this procedure, I recognize it as one that I've seen before, mostly in college sports for conference tournament seedings. I don't think it is a bad system at all, it's just not what I had heard from my source. My team would benefit from such a point system.
oli3
JV

Postby trojangrad78 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:51 pm

oli3 wrote:
trojangrad78 wrote:This is copied directly from page 2 of the SCHSL rules handbook.

Trojangrad78, now that I have looked at this procedure, I recognize it as one that I've seen before, mostly in college sports for conference tournament seedings. I don't think it is a bad system at all, it's just not what I had heard from my source. My team would benefit from such a point system.

True, but it was only presented as a suggestion for regions with 6 or 7 teams. No suggestion from SCHSL for five team regions (Regions 1 & 3 & 4).

As for what I know, non of the regions have OFFICIALLY announced what tie-breakers are to be used beyond head to head.

Gives all of us fans a lot of room to play "what if" :lol: :lol: :lol:
trojangrad78
All-American

Postby oli3 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:58 pm

OK, I wasn't quite right... here they are again with adjustments from what I have learned:

Byrnes beats Dorman, Spartanburg beats Gaffney (no change)
All are 2-way ties determined head to head. Seeds in order:
Boiling Springs 3-1
Spartanburg 3-1
Dorman 2-2
Gaffney 1-3
Byrnes 1-3

Byrnes beats Dorman, Gaffney beats Spartanburg (this one changed)
3-way tie procedure for 2nd place in effect. First tiebreaker after H2H is record vs #1; remaining two would be H2H; , So here are seeds in order:
Boiling Springs 3-1
Dorman 2-2 (beat Boiling Springs)
Gaffney 2-2 (lost to Boiling Springs; then won head to head to Spartanburg)
Spartanburg 2-2 (lost to Boiling Springs; then lost head to head to Gaffney
Byrnes 1-3

Dorman beats Byrnes, Spartanburg beats Gaffney (no change)
3-way tie procedure for first place in effect. Tiebreaker falls to step #6 Point differential between tied teams during first 3 quarters.
Spartanburg 3-1 (+13+0 = 13)
Dorman 3-1 (-13+7 = -6; then H2H win over Boiling Springs)
Boiling Springs 3-1 (-7+0 = -7; then H2H loss to Dorman)
Gaffney 1-3
Byrnes 0-4

Dorman beats Byrnes, Gaffney beats Spartanburg (no change)
All are 2-way ties determined head to head. Seeds in order:
Dorman 3-1
Boiling Springs 3-1
Gaffney 2-2
Spartanburg 2-2
Byrnes 0-4
oli3
JV

Previous

Return to Class 5A