5A Contenders

This board covers the teams playing in Class 5A in South Carolina.

Re: 5A Contenders

Postby CherokeePeach » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:46 pm

An excellent thread. Yes. Let's discuss.

1. Gaffney obviously. The beast is awakened. Gaffneyzilla is done with our hibernation and it's time to feast on the creatures below us on the food chain. They are....

2. The rest.
- Burns is on a decline. Not awful yet but headed there. We'll help em.

- Boiling Springs aka Hot Pond. No chance. That town hasn't seen anything more glorious than a 2nd Ingles opening in decades. This won't be the year.

- Kanyes Baby. The curse of a man wearing purple will be their doom. Think about it. LSU blew it vs Wisconsin. Minnesota Vikings QB Bridgewater out for year. Northwestern University lost to some school called Western Michigan. This isn't the year for men in purple. Kanyes Baby has no chance.

Spartanburg? please give me a break. Sanford and Son would make a more capable duo than Spartan High has on offense.
CherokeePeach
Freshman

Postby Viking9987 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:39 pm

Don't sleep on Greenwood. I have seen both of their games this year and they are much improved from last year. I'm not saying they will win it all but they could make a run in the playoffs and upset some teams.

As for the playoffs system in place this year for 5A, it's the same playoff system the lower classes have been using since the early 90's. It sucks but I have learned to live with it over the years. Basically the only games that matter are region games. I have seen many times a team go 6-4 and miss the playoffs because those 4 looses were all in region play. On the flip side I have seen 4-6 teams get in the playoffs because all 4 of their wins were in region play. I'm not a fan of it but it is what it is. Just look at non-region play like a preseason to get your team ready for the real season in region play. That's how us smaller schools have looked at it for years now.
Viking9987
Freshman

Postby tomahawk97 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:07 am

The Contenders are starting to separate from the pack now. As of right now I feel starting at the top Northwestern, Dutch Fork, Fort D, Spartanburg my top 4 right now because all have one titles in the last 2 seasons and it seems they are starting to hit there grooves. The second tier and teams that still has a lot to prove but can within the next couple of weeks is My Gaffney Indians, Boiling Springs, and Westside. Our head coach has been to the top, but our talent is young and we will get our chance to see if we are back these next couple of weeks. Boiling Springs still has to overcome the region 3 teams and hasn't been there yet but they are a soild team this year and will have a chance to prove themselves. Westside has played a soft schedule and only opponent that's left on there schedule that will present them a real challenge is Spartanburg until they get to the playoffs. But these are 7 that looks above everybody right now and this list will get smaller in the next couple of weeks.
tomahawk97
JV

Byrnes/Dorman nightmare

Postby oli3 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:10 pm

Far too early to know what will happen in Region 3, but: If Spartanburg, Gaffney, and Boiling Springs live up to their hype and can beat the Rebs and the Cavs, the season-ending rival game between Byrnes and Dorman might not only NOT be for the region championship, it might be for who finishes 4th in the region and who goes home. Now THAT would be ugly!
oli3
JV

Postby TrojanMan`10 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:13 am

Top 5 (5A) for me right now

1. DF
2. Westside
3. NW
4. FD
5. Gaffney

Who ya got?
WE ARE THE MEN OF TROY

NORTHWESTERN HIGH STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS
89, 93, 2010, 2013, 2015
State Runner-Up
1982, 97, 01, 08, 09, 12
TrojanMan`10
Freshman

Postby mikey » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:35 am

Looks about right. .have to see how this Gaffney run game pans out..can we block for it against a strong D ?.the passing game is there I believe...back end of the D ( sophomores ) have looked solid..they will hit in the secondary..the Decker kid. DE....Hunter is name..what's up with all them kids named Hunter these days?..as a unit they have the potential to be very good...for a while :o ...well see.... ;)
" the only easy day, was yesterday "
mikey
All-American

Postby STChamp 92 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:05 pm

mikey wrote:Looks about right. .have to see how this Gaffney run game pans out..can we block for it against a strong D ?.the passing game is there I believe...back end of the D ( sophomores ) have looked solid..they will hit in the secondary..the Decker kid. DE....Hunter is name..what's up with all them kids named Hunter these days?..as a unit they have the potential to be very good...for a while :o ...well see.... ;)

I love those 10th grade Db's man... that's going to take us a long way for the next 2 years, we've had issues with coverage for a while, that's one of the biggest gifts we've finally gotten back, plus linebacker play, I feel like Jayden Clayton is the best linebacker we've had since JB .. imo.. we always have dl and de's but the lb and secondary is like "look, we finally got some"
STChamp 92
All-American

Postby trojangrad78 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:06 pm

DF looks like the team to beat in the lower state at this point.

As for upper state, I am waiting to see how the NW/Spartanburg and NW/Gaffney games go.
trojangrad78
All-American

Postby cutiger1900 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:15 pm

I still expect Greenwood to be in the thick of things in playoffs.

Trust me don't rule out TL Hanna either
cutiger1900
Freshman

Postby mikey » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:33 pm

STChamp 92 wrote:
mikey wrote:Looks about right. .have to see how this Gaffney run game pans out..can we block for it against a strong D ?.the passing game is there I believe...back end of the D ( sophomores ) have looked solid..they will hit in the secondary..the Decker kid. DE....Hunter is name..what's up with all them kids named Hunter these days?..as a unit they have the potential to be very good...for a while :o ...well see.... ;)

I love those 10th grade Db's man... that's going to take us a long way for the next 2 years, we've had issues with coverage for a while, that's one of the biggest gifts we've finally gotten back, plus linebacker play, I feel like Jayden Clayton is the best linebacker we've had since JB .. imo.. we always have dl and de's but the lb and secondary is like "look, we finally got some"
special team play has also been an asset instead of a liability...Ardell Fuller might have been the last Indian to hit a 40 yd FG..I remember him kicking it from about 47 and 52 to win it at NW but a flag of no reason came out after the fact on both plays..He eventually missed giving the Trogans the win...he hit the top of that building from 47 if my memory serves...and that ain't no given.. :|
" the only easy day, was yesterday "
mikey
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Class 5A