5A Contenders

This board covers the teams playing in Class 5A in South Carolina.

5A Contenders

Postby GCRVT16 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:55 am

5A has some good contenders that are going to make it interesting at State this year. The clear cut favorite right now has to be The Tribe, Westside, Byrnes possibly, Fort D and Dutch Fork. I'm not on that Boiling Springs bandwagon every other Tom Dick N Harry is. Until Gaffney gets beat and I do mean get beat they should be #1 in the State. Entirely with my whole heart believes Byrnes is going to get better and better each week. This is a young team who will unleash hell next year, but as of now Gaffney is the team to beat. I can't wait for them , BS, and NW to come to Nixon in a week or so.
GCRVT16
Freshman

Re: 5A Contenders

Postby tomahawk97 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:12 am

My Indians are not the team the beat right now. Fort D and Northwestern are still the teams the beat because they are both defending champs. My Indians are taking it one week at a time to get better and healthy. Bring in Coach Montgomery and promoting Coach Long along with Coach Littlejohn taking a back seat and focusing more on the O-line has made our offense dangerous. This has allowed coach Jones to put his focus on helping with the defense game planning. Both our starting running backs and probably our best overall football player because he can play linebacker or in secondary if needed will be back next week.
tomahawk97
JV

Postby osu-grad » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:51 am

Can anyone explain the new system for playoff seeding?
The very real war on Christianity is rooted in very real hatred of impotent atheists: Tacitus, May 20, 2014
osu-grad
All-American

Postby tomahawk97 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:23 am

osu-grad wrote:Can anyone explain the new system for playoff seeding?

Not sure but the way im hearing that the playoffs suppose to be set up a team like TL Hanna could finish 1st or 2nd in there region but would probably be the 6th best team in region make the playoffs and a gaffney boiling springs and Spartanburg who all beat them could be left out
tomahawk97
JV

Postby osu-grad » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:36 am

I understand that all but the last place team in division play makes the playoffs. I'm only wondering how the seeding is established.
The very real war on Christianity is rooted in very real hatred of impotent atheists: Tacitus, May 20, 2014
osu-grad
All-American

Postby Chief Shooting Bull » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:56 pm

I think we might still be a year away, lotta young fellas playing. The next few years the Indians are gonna be a handful. Definitely don't think we will be an easy win or playoff out this year.
The Gaffney Indians...17 time South Carolina State Champions!
Chief Shooting Bull
All-American

Postby osceola1 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:05 pm

Simply put, if you follow HS basketball in SC, it's the same seeding concept as that.

The playoffs will consist of 32 teams. 16 upper state, 16 lower state.

There is no points system this year or anything like that. IT is straight forward based on region standings....with that said:

Regions 1-4 are "upper state regions"
Regions 5-7 are "lower state regions"

The TOP 4 region finishers from Regions 1, 2, 3, & 4, will be the PLAYOFF teams for upper state.

The TOP 5 region finishers from Region 5,
The TOP 4 region finishers from Region 6, &
The TOP 6 region finishers from Region 7 will be the PLAYOFF teams for lower state. As well as 1 (ONE) at-large bid, (next best region finish from regions 5-7).

THE PLAYOFF TEAMS WILL BE DETERMINED SOLEY ON REGION GAMES ONLY! NOT GAMES OUTSIDE OF REGION PLAY (unless needed for a tie-breaker).

Region 1 will be paired with Region 2
Region 3 will be paired with Region 4

Region 1 #1
Region 2 #4

Region 4 #2
Region 3 #3

Region 2 #1
Region 1 #4

Region 3 #2
Region 4 #3

Region 3 #1
Region 4 #4

Region 2 #2
Region 1 #3

Region 4 #1
Region 3 #4

Region 1 #2
Region 2 #3

Because lower state has only three regions, its a little more confusing. the Lower State half of bracket looks like this

Region 7 #1
At-Large

Region 6 #3
Region 5 #3

Region 6 #2
Region 7 #5

Region 5 #2
Region 7 #4

Region 6 #1
Region 5 #5

Region 7 #2
Region 5 #4

Region 5 #1
Region 7 #6

Region 7 #3
Region 6 #4

Again, all of this is based SOLEY on region record ALONE! So a team could start the season 0-6 and then go 4-0 in their region and be the "region winner" and be the #1 seed out of that region.

So YES, potentially a team like TL Hanna that starts 0-3 and is currently 5th in their region based on W/L record could finish 1-4 in their region and would make the playoffs over a team like a Gaffney, S'burg, or Boiling Springs that beat TL Hanna, BECAUSE it's all based on REGION finish now....

So again, simply put, its the same exact seeding concept that basketball has been for years in SC high schools.

It's all based on your region finish, not how you did outside the region.
'27, '28, '29, '31, '34, '60, '61, '63, '64, '65, '85, '92, '97, '03, '05, '06, '12
17 Football Titles And Still Going
GAFFNEY INDIANS!!
<---G-H-S---<<<
osceola1
JV

Location: Gaffney, SC -> Greer, SC -> Boiling Springs, NC -> Gaffney, SC

Postby tomahawk97 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:30 am

osceola1 wrote:

Simply put, if you follow HS basketball in SC, it's the same seeding concept as that.

There is no points system this year or anything like that. IT is straight forward based on region standings....with that said:

The TOP 4 region finishers from Regions 1, 2, 3, & 4, will be the PLAYOFF teams for upper state.

The TOP 6 region finishers from Region 7 will be the PLAYOFF teams for lower state. As well as 1 (ONE) at-large bid, (next best region finish from regions 5-7).

THE PLAYOFF TEAMS WILL BE DETERMINED SOLEY ON REGION GAMES ONLY! NOT GAMES OUTSIDE OF REGION PLAY (unless needed for a tie-breaker).

Region 1 #1
Region 2 #4

Region 4 #2
Region 3 #3

Region 2 #1
Region 1 #4

Region 3 #2
Region 4 #3

Region 3 #1
Region 4 #4

Region 2 #2
Region 1 #3

Region 4 #1
Region 3 #4

Region 1 #2
Region 2 #3

Because lower state has only three regions, its a little more confusing. the Lower State half of bracket looks like this

Region 7 #1
At-Large

Region 6 #3
Region 5 #3

Region 6 #2
Region 7 #5

Region 5 #2
Region 7 #4

Region 6 #1
Region 5 #5

Region 7 #2
Region 5 #4

Region 5 #1
Region 7 #6

Region 7 #3
Region 6 #4

Again, all of this is based SOLEY on region record ALONE! So a team could start the season 0-6 and then go 4-0 in their region and be the "region winner" and be the #1 seed out of that region.

So YES, potentially a team like TL Hanna that starts 0-3 and is currently 5th in their region based on W/L record could finish 1-4 in their region and would make the playoffs over a team like a Gaffney, S'burg, or Boiling Springs that beat TL Hanna, BECAUSE it's all based on REGION finish now....

So again, simply put, its the same exact seeding concept that basketball has been for years in SC high schools.

This will probably be voted out next time realignment comes around because it devalues most of the regular season and not all the best teams are getting in and u are coming up with the same match ups in the playoffs that u had in the regular season. My suggestion should be the top 3 from every region then put the rest in a at large situation with the based on strength of schedule and also go back to cross-bracketing with the upstate regions vs the lower state regions.
tomahawk97
JV

Postby FootballFan4343 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:52 pm

GCRVT16 wrote:5A has some good contenders that are going to make it interesting at State this year. The clear cut favorite right now has to be The Tribe, Westside, Byrnes possibly, Fort D and Dutch Fork. I'm not on that Boiling Springs bandwagon every other Tom Dick N Harry is. Until Gaffney gets beat and I do mean get beat they should be #1 in the State. Entirely with my whole heart believes Byrnes is going to get better and better each week. This is a young team who will unleash hell next year, but as of now Gaffney is the team to beat. I can't wait for them , BS, and NW to come to Nixon in a week or so.

Not sure I understand the thinking behind Gaffney should be #1. Not saying Gaffney won't be a great team or anything but what about their first two weeks makes anyone believe they are #1. It seems apparent that Hanna isn't nearly what many expected them to be and Union County is just a bad team right now. So Gaffney's two victories haven't been that impressive. The stretch of Hillcrest, Northwestern, Rock Hill and Dorman will tell us a lot about Gaffney, I believe before their region ending run against the heavyweights.

I for one think that Northwestern and Fort Dorchester are still the teams to beat. I also would put Dutch Fork in that mix for obvious reasons. Again, we will learn a lot about Northwestern over the next few weeks with road games at Byrnes and Gaffney with Spartanburg in between. Westside could also be considered but their schedule is just awful. They very well could go 10-0 and not be as good as a 8-2 or 7-3 NW, DF, or FD team. Spartanburg will be the only challenge to a Westside undefeated regular season. But with the playoffs split in a true upper and lower state, it honestly comes down to who gets hot and stays injury free. Think about this, if Northwestern wins the Region 4 title, their award would be a first round game against either Byrnes, Dorman, Spartanburg, Gaffney, or Boiling Springs. Westside meanwhile would have a 2nd round match-up against one of those 3, a 3rd round match-up again against one of those 4 and a 4th round against the other one. So theoretically 2nd-3rd-4th for Westside could be Boiling Springs, Dorman, and Gaffney in a row. Wow!
FootballFan4343
Varsity

Postby osceola1 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:12 pm

tomahawk97 wrote:
osceola1 wrote:

Region 1 #1
Region 2 #4

Region 4 #2
Region 3 #3

Region 2 #1
Region 1 #4

Region 3 #2
Region 4 #3

Region 3 #1
Region 4 #4

Region 2 #2
Region 1 #3

Region 4 #1
Region 3 #4

Region 1 #2
Region 2 #3

Region 7 #1
At-Large

Region 6 #3
Region 5 #3

Region 6 #2
Region 7 #5

Region 5 #2
Region 7 #4

Region 6 #1
Region 5 #5

Region 7 #2
Region 5 #4

Region 5 #1
Region 7 #6

Region 7 #3
Region 6 #4

This will probably be voted out next time realignment comes around because it devalues most of the regular season and not all the best teams are getting in and u are coming up with the same match ups in the playoffs that u had in the regular season. My suggestion should be the top 3 from every region then put the rest in a at large situation with the based on strength of schedule and also go back to cross-bracketing with the upstate regions vs the lower state regions.

The only problem they (HSL) have with cross-bracketing is travel. It takes a lot out of a team to travel to somewhere like Spartanburg from Summerville or vice versa...They are trying to keep travel costs down. Especially if/when a team ends up having to travel in all four rounds to somewhere 3+ hours away. Personally I'm a fan of the pure upper state lower state system and not cross-bracketing. However, I would prefer to pair regions 1 with 3 and 2 with 4....that way its not as probable that you play the same teams in playoffs as regular season (because typically teams will play who's closest to them (region 1 with 2, 2 with 3, 3 with 4, in the regular season to cut down on travel. It'd be nice to have a region 3 team playing someone out of the ordinary like an Easley, Hanna, Woodmont, etc, as well as Region 4 playing someone like a Wade Hampton, Riverside, etc...someone that they don't play every season.
'27, '28, '29, '31, '34, '60, '61, '63, '64, '65, '85, '92, '97, '03, '05, '06, '12
17 Football Titles And Still Going
GAFFNEY INDIANS!!
<---G-H-S---<<<
osceola1
JV

Location: Gaffney, SC -> Greer, SC -> Boiling Springs, NC -> Gaffney, SC

Next

Return to Class 5A