Poll: Most Important Ingredient For Success In H.S. Ball

This board covers the teams playing in Class 5A in South Carolina.

What Say You? Top 2!

Poll runs till Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:04 pm

Jimmy's & Joe's
21%
Great Coach
58%
Great Feeder Programs
4%
Superior Strength & Conditioning Program
8%
Great Offensive/Defensive System
8%

Total votes : 24

Re: Poll: Most Important Ingredient For Success In H.S. Ball

Postby region2 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:29 pm

First off is the talent. If you don't have some folks with God given abilities, a good coach can make them better, but there is only so far they can be taken. Second is the coach, mainly because he controls all other aspects mentioned, and most importantly sets the tone for the team.
As far as the community support mentioned above. It is nice to have. But not all high schools have that consistent support. In the smaller towns with one high school, everybody pulls for one cause. Many go to games from birth to death. You don't get that in districts with multiple high schools. Folks are interested while their kids are there, and then mover on to the next chapter of life.
region2
All-American

Postby 1st&Goal » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:18 am

Consider the coach as the bowl to hold all the other ingredients in. Without it, everything would be just one big mess scattered over the counter.

While strength and conditioning is important, it does no good without purpose or function. Good coaches give that and also motivation.

Off. and Def. schemes are important as well. And guess where those come from. Yep,,,, the coach.

Also,,,, we can not forget talent. Without good coaching, all the talent in the world will not get you far.

Most important in my book(picking 2 as instructed) = Coaching and talent. With coaching being the number 1 priority.

But.....You cant have the complete dish without ALL of the ingredients.
If YOU cant walk it.....You prolly shouldnt TALK it!!!
1st&Goal
All-American

Postby BEARCAT/BULLDOG » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:27 pm

Wow! Thanks for the responses PFT posters!

Good stuff!

Dutch Fork has to stand as the best example of this in the history of h.s. football in our state. They were gawd-awful and now they untouchable!
Look at what happened to the mighty Independence Patriots after Knotts left. They losing to W. Mecklenberg now and Olympic.

Hopefully, somebody reads this and uses it as a guide! Joe's and Jimmy's who don't get coached right will still lose ball games!
All the support in the world can't block,tackle and execute plays. Or lift weights and condition a kids body.
A strength coach is only as good as the person they are answering to. If he places "zero demand" on what must be done and how it still won't work.

Good stuff! Any angle I missed? Is there anything else not yet mentioned?
"Pain is weakness leaving the body" -Sr. Drill Instructor Parris Island.
BEARCAT/BULLDOG
Varsity

Postby tomahawk97 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:22 am

[quote=“region2”]First off is the talent. If you don’t have some folks with God given abilities, a good coach can make them better, but there is only so far they can be taken. Second is the coach, mainly because he controls all other aspects mentioned, and most importantly sets the tone for the team.
As far as the community support mentioned above. It is nice to have. But not all high schools have that consistent support. In the smaller towns with one high school, everybody pulls for one cause. Many go to games from birth to death. You don’t get that in districts with multiple high schools. Folks are interested while their kids are there, and then mover on to the next chapter of life.[/quote] This is a great point Gaffney is an example of a 1 town school and many people attend games from birth to death thats why most folks are hard on the coaches when the team is not successful but in Spartanburg and York counties these are alot schools that are traditional rivals to Gaffney but these schools doesnt bring the fan support to games when we are the home team but when we go play those schools at there place we usually have more fans on the visitors side than what these teams have at home
tomahawk97
JV

Postby fan4awhile » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:14 pm

[quote=“BEARCAT/BULLDOG”]Wow! Thanks for the responses PFT posters!

Good stuff!

Dutch Fork has to stand as the best example of this in the history of h.s. football in our state. They were gawd-awful and now they untouchable!
Look at what happened to the mighty Independence Patriots after Knotts left. They losing to W. Mecklenberg now and Olympic.

Hopefully, somebody reads this and uses it as a guide! Joe’s and Jimmy’s who don’t get coached right will still lose ball games!
All the support in the world can’t block,tackle and execute plays. Or lift weights and condition a kids body.
A strength coach is only as good as the person they are answering to. If he places “zero demand” on what must be done and how it still won’t work.

Good stuff! Any angle I missed? Is there anything else not yet mentioned?[/quote]
Rusty Jester was winning 10 games a season before Knotts got to indy......DF wasnt awful since their opening, but knotts is getting it done there now, no doubt....good coaching with good players is the Key, go hand in hand....how coaches run offseason is huge to overall program, and that goes along w strength coach that HFC hires if there is supplement for that. Administration support for FB and all sports should be factor, the more coaches on staff the better the program will be. HFC are only as good as asst. coaches and in most districts you can fire an asst. coach from sport but they can stay as a teacher.....which can make hiring asst. coaches hard for HFC
fan4awhile
Freshman

Postby BEARCAT/BULLDOG » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:51 pm

@fan4awhile Not that it really matters but here you go!
http://www.maxpreps.com/local/team/records/year_by_year_results.aspx?gendersport=boys,football&schoolid=c2e8711a-25ca-4802-bf2c-7edad087024c

Ok, in 2006 they had 10 wins. But, I was really speaking about the years “RIGHT BEFORE” he got there. You know the 2 win seasons.

Sure Independence may have been good but they wasn’t winning state championships! West Charlotte was and getting a national reputation in the process! I was mostly speaking to what happened to Indy after Knotts then Geiler left. Did they remain the mighty “BIG I” or did they fall on hard times? They fell faster than a ton of bricks! Same player base by in large. Did Butler and MC take some but the entire school district grew so, the school didn’t get any smaller!

But, I get what you were trying to say! But, the absence of a coach from a school that was once a so called, “juggernaut” is also confirmation in my mind as to what you need the most bar none. See Byrnes and Northwestern after Richardson and Bentley left. They draw from the same neighborhoods and everything else is still in place!

Too many people think it’s because they have all these stud athletes and that “anybody can win with those kids”! Yeah, right! It gets proven wrong literally every year!
[url][/url]
"Pain is weakness leaving the body" -Sr. Drill Instructor Parris Island.
BEARCAT/BULLDOG
Varsity

Postby tomahawk97 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:16 am

[quote=“BEARCAT/BULLDOG”]@fan4awhile Not that it really matters but here you go!
http://www.maxpreps.com/local/team/records/year_by_year_results.aspx?gendersport=boys,football&schoolid=c2e8711a-25ca-4802-bf2c-7edad087024c

Ok, in 2006 they had 10 wins. But, I was really speaking about the years “RIGHT BEFORE” he got there. You know the 2 win seasons.

Sure Independence may have been good but they wasn’t winning state championships! West Charlotte was and getting a national reputation in the process! I was mostly speaking to what happened to Indy after Knotts then Geiler left. Did they remain the mighty “BIG I” or did they fall on hard times? They fell faster than a ton of bricks! Same player base by in large. Did Butler and MC take some but the entire school district grew so, the school didn’t get any smaller!

But, I get what you were trying to say! But, the absence of a coach from a school that was once a so called, “juggernaut” is also confirmation in my mind as to what you need the most bar none. See Byrnes and Northwestern after Richardson and Bentley left. They draw from the same neighborhoods and everything else is still in place!

Too many people think it’s because they have all these stud athletes and that “anybody can win with those kids”! Yeah, right! It gets proven wrong literally every year!
[url][/url][/quote] you have good points...we won 3 state titles in 7 years under Phil strickland in Gaffney but we have won 1 in 8 yrs under Dan and the the title Dan won was with players Stritckland started and developed as freshmen and sophmores and they became studs by time they were junior and seniors but we dont have an elite coach or coaching staff at Gaffney thats why we been so inconsitant since and most of the coaches being goood ole Gaffney boys the school board or the superintendent will never replace them
tomahawk97
JV

Postby Clemson81 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:56 am

You left off one of the most important choices...an administration that supports athletics. You can have a great coach and great players, but if the principal doesn't support football, you won't be successful.
Clemson81
Freshman

Postby fan4awhile » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:30 am

[quote=“BEARCAT/BULLDOG”]@fan4awhile Not that it really matters but here you go!

[url][/url][/quote]
Yes Sir, totally agree with you that those guys are Great coaches and have proven that for long periods of time. My opinion though is that it takes multiple ingredients to have the success that those gentlemen have had and continue to have. Coaching, Players, Strength & Conditioning, Administration support all play an important role. Knotts probably could have had any number of jobs in SC but he chose DF. He probably felt that there were enough of the other ingredients that he would be successful....and the $ aint bad there. I do get what you are saying about Bentley & Richardson or their absence more importantly at those schools and not saying I disagree, but maybe they are missing other ingredients now that those guys had, but I really dont know that either. Just a question but do you believe Knotts, Richardson, Bentley could have the same success at any 5A hs in SC?
fan4awhile
Freshman

Previous

Return to Class 5A