Poll: Most Important Ingredient For Success In H.S. Ball

This board covers the teams playing in Class 5A in South Carolina.

What Say You? Top 2!

Poll runs till Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:04 pm

Jimmy's & Joe's
27%
Great Coach
57%
Great Feeder Programs
3%
Superior Strength & Conditioning Program
7%
Great Offensive/Defensive System
7%

Total votes : 30

Poll: Most Important Ingredient For Success In H.S. Ball

Postby BEARCAT/BULLDOG » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:04 pm

POLL: Most Important Ingredient For Success in H.S. Ball
by BEARCAT/BULLDOG » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:25 am
What is more important in your opinion to have a successful h.s. football team year after year. Or even for one season for that matter.
And by successful I am not just talking about State championships. I mean, to be a legit contender for state championships most of the time: “What is more important”?

Pick the top two please!
Last edited by BEARCAT/BULLDOG on Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Pain is weakness leaving the body” -Sr. Drill Instructor Parris Island.
"Pain is weakness leaving the body" -Sr. Drill Instructor Parris Island.
BEARCAT/BULLDOG
Varsity

Re: Poll: Most Important Ingredient For Success In H.S. Ball

Postby BEARCAT/BULLDOG » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:15 pm

Had to post this b/c after a long hard road The Bearcats have finally become good enough again to win it's region! 1st since 2009.
It's far more important to have a great coach! I don't know yet if that is the title I would give Coach Pittman. I do know he was cognizant enough to fit his plays to fit his players strength's. To me there is not a better example than Dutch Fork!
I literally mean correct me if wrong; but I don't recall them having any success prior to Knox getting there! If I am wrong tell me. But, 2 win and 1 win and 3 win seasons was the norm that I remember from them. Now, they are about as good as it gets not just in S. C. but in the country! Did a bunch of people "just move over there"? Did BMW open up right when Coach Knox got there? No. More accountability got there. Some success on the field "probably" brought more kids out. The success got even better. With it "probably" more kids parents decided their kid would participate in sports at DF. All that could be wrong; but I can see it playing out exactly like that. Did I say anyone over there went out and recruited; no I did not. You Don't Have To; Success Brings The Talent! Why? B/C they take football more serious. It means more now. Your coach "knows how to make you a better player"! All that.

But, what do you think? Plenty of other places out there just "STARVING" for a good coach. Plenty of talent; but they still don't win!
"Pain is weakness leaving the body" -Sr. Drill Instructor Parris Island.
BEARCAT/BULLDOG
Varsity

Postby SackThe_Back » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:52 pm

Strength and conditioning is importent, but strategy is more.
Never be diffrent unless diffrent is much, much better.
SackThe_Back
Freshman

Postby OnionRings » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:48 pm

head coach and strength and conditioning

if the head coach is good, he will make sure they have offensive and defensive play callers

even if the talent is there, if the coaching is not it won't happen
OnionRings
Freshman

Postby utrocket99 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:22 pm

Wingo and Golic Friday morning were not talking about his topic BUT were discussing the scandal going on at Maryland involving their HFC and S&T coach. They brought up the point that the relationship between your HFC and S&T coach is probably the most important relationship on any given coaching staff. I would say that's a pretty valid argument.

With that being said a good HFC makes a world of difference. There are schools around the country and especially this state that have a significant economic advantage both with funding and their communities who struggle with football and there are certainly schools who are the opposite.

A good HFC and S&T coach can take mediocre talent and bring it up a notch for sure.
utrocket99
Freshman

Postby 96fanatic » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:36 am

coach SHELL DULA told me when he
coached at 96 that community support
was crucial in having success.i went to
the first practice when he came to 96.
he came over and gave me a hand shake.
he told me he welcomed fans to watch practice.
i wish he had stayed at 96 all these years.
96fanatic
All-American

Postby wavefan70s » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:09 pm

I believe its support ,coaching and talent.
Unless it's in Bonner stadium then it's the footlocker crew.
GO DUKE
wavefan70s
All-American

Postby PurpleandOrange » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:25 am

BEARCAT/BULLDOG wrote:POLL: Most Important Ingredient For Success in H.S. Ball
by BEARCAT/BULLDOG » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:25 am
What is more important in your opinion to have a successful h.s. football team year after year. Or even for one season for that matter.
And by successful I am not just talking about State championships. I mean, to be a legit contender for state championships most of the time: “What is more important”?

Pick the top two please!
Last edited by BEARCAT/BULLDOG on Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Pain is weakness leaving the body” -Sr. Drill Instructor Parris Island.

First and foremost congrats to Rock Hill for winning the region and the city title! They earned every bit of it! My opinion of your question is you may win games due to great athletes, or better strength and conditioning but you don't win championships without great coaching. RH nor NW are anywhere close to playing for championships at the moment. Thursday night we saw two teams who's coaches were ultra conservative for three quarters. This afforded RH a 14-0 lead as they have a solid run game. The shame of the coaching on both sides is not utilizing all of their prime weapons. Not understanding how to get their athletes the ball in space and not having the vision to make adjustments on the fly. This is where NW continues to miss Kyle Richardson.
When NW started running a couple of crossing routes in the 4th quarter and dumped the ball off to Holley a couple of times it completely opened up the field for players like Bivens. There is no excuse for this to not be a consistent part of the game plan. NW came roaring back, too little too late, but the defense just couldn't get off the field at the end credit to Rock Hill's running ability and a huge 3rd down catch. From the other view point you could easily say had the RH coaching staff had any sense they could have completely dominated the game offensively if they got the ball in Antonio Barbers hands a little more often. RH never made a single true attempt at a pass the entire 1st half! With an SEC committed receiver lining up every play! Too me this is slightly worse than NW not understanding that you feed Holley on crossing routes to loosen everything up. I will take great coaching every day of the week but it is a commodity in short supply.
PurpleandOrange
Freshman

Postby Realist » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:46 am

I couldn't agree more. Great analysis.
Rock Hill Bearcats 2002 & 2004
Big 16 State Champions
Realist
Varsity

Postby #1 Granny » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:13 pm

96fanatic wrote:coach SHELL DULA told me when he
coached at 96 that community support
was crucial in having success.i went to
the first practice when he came to 96.
he came over and gave me a hand shake.
he told me he welcomed fans to watch practice.
i wish he had stayed at 96 all these years.

Great Coach. Was successful at several levels. Got his training from the best Willie Varner... I am sure someone could tell me, how many State Championships Coach Varner's assistant coaches, who went on to be head coaches, won. I know of at least 13. 6 by Keith Richardson, 6 by Shell Dula, and at least 1 by Boughnight.

So you can guess what I think is most important, coaching. The ability to take players and make them a team. Not so easy to do, and even the best coaches can't always make it happen. Some times the Jimmy's and Joe's think too much of themselves and never get to the whole is greater than the parts.
#1 Granny
JV

Next

Return to Class 5A