How could Clover make playoffs

This board covers the teams playing in Class 5A in South Carolina.

How could Clover make playoffs

Postby hamp1234 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:26 am

Would someone explain to me how they think they can still make playoffs. There is Rock Hill with 3 wins and Northwestern with 3 to play for region champs, then Nation Ford with 2 wins and Clover with NONE and Fort MIll with none,loser of that game is in last place in region. Which ever team wins the Clover vs Fort Mill game means they would only have 1 region win and with only 3 spots how could Clover winning get them in with Nafo having 2 region wins?
This is a mugging! Now fork it over, or stick a fork in it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hamp1234
JV

Re: How could Clover make playoffs

Postby hamp1234 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:51 pm

Well, found out the answer from SCHSL which is still like winning the Lottery but guaranteed Lane is making phones calls trying to sell his team. So here it is, Region one and Region 2 teams that are in six place and Region 3 fourth place gets put in a pot for 5A coaches to decide on for the upper state at large spot. I am sorry but winning one region against Fort Mill is not in any way deserving of a playoff spot in my opinion. Beating Fort Mill this year is really just unfair due to their situation this year and really should have no impact on the decision. Hope Fort Mill WINS!

Also, last school year between Football, Basketball, and Baseball they had a total of 3 region wins, THREE!
hamp1234
JV

Postby OnionRings » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:42 pm

non deserving teams make the playoffs all the time. Look at the bright side, you can go to the game and pull for the other team
OnionRings
Freshman

Postby DHSCavsFan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:03 pm

If not Clover, then who? Have you seen Region 1 6th place team? Laurens who is 3-6, should finish 3-7 this year. They have beaten Clinton, JL Mann, and Wade Hampton.

Now look at Region 2 teams Mauldin, Spartanburg, and Hillcrest. One of these teams will finish 5th, so that leaves the other 2. Mauldin is 3-6 with Hillcrest left on the schedule. They have beaten Mann, Riverside, and Spartanburg, if they win this week, they will finish 5th and 4-6. Spartanburg is 3-6 with Gaffney left. They have beaten Nations Ford, Riverside, and Hillcrest. They have had the toughest schedule of the schools vying for the last spot, if Hillcrest beats Mauldin, Spartanburg should finish 5th. Spartanburg has also played in a lot of close losses. Hillcrest is 4-5, with Mauldin left on the schedule. They have beaten Mauldin (play them twice), Woodmont (finish 2nd in region 1), Laurens, and Riverside. If they win, they stand a good chance of being the at large team.

So now Clover, they are 4-5 with Fort Mill left. Should finish 5-5. Wins against York, Forestview, Ashbrook, and South Point (NC). Lost to a very good Huss team in OT. Clover has been in every game this year, only game they lost by 2 scores was Rock Hill, which was by 10 points.

Now to region 4, I do not know if they can be consider for the at large, but lets look at it anyways. Spring Valley is 5-3 with Blythewood left. Wins against Brookland-Cayce, L-E, Lexington, White Knoll, Richland NE. Bad losses to Dutch Fork (everybody has) and Sumter 38-0. I think they finish 5-4, but could also play in the lower state.

So, I think if Hillcrest wins, they are in at the at-large, if not they are out. So that really leaves Spartanburg and Clover. Clover finishes 5-5 and Spartanburg 3-7, I think Clover gets in. I think there are no paths for Mauldin and Laurens to get the at-large.
DHSCavsFan
Varsity

Postby hamp1234 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:41 pm

Great layout there DHSCavsfan, but in a game, Clover wouldn’t beat Spartanburg or teams on their schedule. Clover had a very weak schedule in non-conference play other than Hunter Huss. I think there are other teams deserving that spot more than Clover.

Looking at Spartanburg’s schedule, Clover got beat by Nation Ford which Spartanburg won by 24pts, Clover wouldn’t beat Greer, Byrnes, Hillcrest, Dorman, Boiling Springs, Maudlin, or Gaffney so Clover would not be 5-5 if they beat Fort Mill or played in the Region 2 schedule.

Maudlin and Hillcrest had a lot tougher schedule than Clover so the loser of that game or Spartanburg should be the one.

Whoever it is will most likely be playing Sumter at Sumter and Clover will be out of that game by end of the half if it’s them. Send someone that has a chance and will give them a good game.
hamp1234
JV

Postby DHSCavsFan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:53 pm

Reality, none of these teams will stand a chance with Sumter. If Hillcrest finishes 5-5, they will be the at large. Clover will the second team on the list, because of the 2 more wins. Mauldin's and Hillcrest's non-region schedules were really weak.
DHSCavsFan
Varsity

Postby clovereaglefan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:44 pm

[quote=“hamp1234”]Well, found out the answer from SCHSL which is still like winning the Lottery but guaranteed Lane is making phones calls trying to sell his team. So here it is, Region one and Region 2 teams that are in six place and Region 3 fourth place gets put in a pot for 5A coaches to decide on for the upper state at large spot. I am sorry but winning one region :lol: :cry: :lol: against Fort Mill is not in any way deserving of a playoff spot in my opinion. Beating Fort Mill this year is really just unfair due to their situation this year and really should have no impact on the decision. Hope Fort Mill WINS!

Also, last school year between Football, Basketball, and Baseball they had a total of 3 region wins, THREE![/quote]

Well I guess Clover whizzed in your Wheaties one last time :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Don't think you are....Know you are"
clovereaglefan
JV

Postby region2 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:05 am

Spartanburg can still finish 5th in 2, but it is an odd points deal based on comparative scored at the end of the 3rd quarter. Not sure I have it right, but I think Spartanburg needs Hillcrest to win. But Hillcrest has to be up by 29 pts at the end of 3rd quarter to go. For Mauldin, I think they have to be up by 13 or more at the end of three and lose. Think if they win outright, they go. Confusing, very. But think if Hillcrest wins, anything between the two spreads described above outs Spartanburg in the playoffs.

As far as the at large. It will come down to whomever is left out in 2, and Clover. With zero quality wins on their record it would be a shame if the decided on Clover. And of the three from 2 would beat them handily.
region2
All-American

Postby DHSCavsFan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:47 am

[quote=“region2”]Spartanburg can still finish 5th in 2, but it is an odd points deal based on comparative scored at the end of the 3rd quarter. Not sure I have it right, but I think Spartanburg needs Hillcrest to win. But Hillcrest has to be up by 29 pts at the end of 3rd quarter to go. For Mauldin, I think they have to be up by 13 or more at the end of three and lose. Think if they win outright, they go. Confusing, very. But think if Hillcrest wins, anything between the two spreads described above outs Spartanburg in the playoffs.

As far as the at large. It will come down to whomever is left out in 2, and Clover. With zero quality wins on their record it would be a shame if the decided on Clover. And of the three from 2 would beat them handily.[/quote]
You are correct about the 3-way tie in region 2 for 5th place. Hillcrest wins tonight, most likely Spartanburg gets in. Now if Hillcrest and Mauldin is a blowout in favor of Hillcrest, then that changes.

As I stated above, I believe if Hillcrest wins tonight, they will get the at large bid. Now if they lose, I think Clover will get the at large bid. Do any of the 4 have any quality wins?
DHSCavsFan
Varsity

Postby hamp1234 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:34 am

No none have quality wins. Clover should not think that win last night was one either, Fort Mill held them in first quarter, they fumbled 4 or 5 times one player ejected in first quarter, and only was up by 6pts at half time. Not a very well play first half, if they were playing a good team they would’ve been in trouble. This at large spot is Bull in my opinion. Clover doesn’t deserve it. Not seen Hillcrest play so can’t say but by schedule I would say no also.
hamp1234
JV

Next

Return to Class 5A