Region Championship Tiebreaker question?

This board covers the teams playing in Class 5A in South Carolina.

Region Championship Tiebreaker question?

Postby Dorman#1 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:13 pm

Seeing as how Dorman took its first loss last night against Gaffney. Let’s run a hypothetical, if Dorman beats Byrnes next week, that means there would be a 3 way tie for Region II 5A. My question is how would the tiebreaker work?
YOU'RE NEXT!!

2x State Champions: 2000, 2009
Dorman#1
Varsity

Re: Region Championship Tiebreaker question?

Postby DHSCavsFan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:09 am

[quote=“Dorman#1”]Seeing as how Dorman took its first loss last night against Gaffney. Let’s run a hypothetical, if Dorman beats Byrnes next week, that means there would be a 3 way tie for Region II 5A. My question is how would the tiebreaker work?[/quote]
Each region has their own tie breaker, I am thinking that region 2's tie breaker is something like the difference in points through three quarters for region play.
DHSCavsFan
Varsity

Postby thedoctor » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:52 pm

[quote=“DHSCavsFan”][quote=“Dorman#1”]Seeing as how Dorman took its first loss last night against Gaffney. Let’s run a hypothetical, if Dorman beats Byrnes next week, that means there would be a 3 way tie for Region II 5A. My question is how would the tiebreaker work?[/quote]
Each region has their own tie breaker, I am thinking that region 2′s tie breaker is something like the difference in points through three quarters for region play.[/quote]

The tiebreaker is points differential after the 3rd quarter between the teams involved.

Gaffney is at -18 (Down 13 to Byrnes after 3rd, down 5 to Dorman after 3rd.)
Byrnes is +13
Dorman is +5.

Simply put if Byrnes is leading after 3 or only losing by 3 or less, they would win that tie breaker. Dorman would need to be leading by 4 or more and also win the game.
thedoctor
Varsity

Postby BSFootballDad » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:38 pm

I do believe you are correct on your 3rd quarter rule, but let’s go ahead and run the hypothetical for next week. Dorman beats Byrnes and both are 4-1. Gaffney beats Riverside and makes them 4-1 AND Boiling Springs beats Hillcrest which puts them at 4-1. Now you have a 4 way tie for 1st with all being 4-1. I guess my point is that with 3 games left in the season, we could all drive ourselves crazy with hypotheticals. The region is doing what the region seems to always do and that’s prove that our region is one of, if not THE, toughest region in the state. I am proud to be part of this region even though, week to week could be a potential blood bath or upset.
My hypothetical for this week is Byrnes over Dorman, Gaffney over Riverside, Boiling Springs over Hillcrest, and I am going to give Spartanburg the edge over Mauldin. That would have the region looking like Byrnes 5-0, Boiling Springs 4-1, Gaffney 4-1, Dorman 3-2, Spartanburg 2-3, Hillcrest 1-4, Mauldin 1-4, and Riverside 0-5.
That sets up a HUGE Boiling Springs-Gaffney game next week.
BSFootballDad
Freshman

Postby DHSCavsFan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:56 pm

[quote=“BSFootballDad”]I do believe you are correct on your 3rd quarter rule, but let’s go ahead and run the hypothetical for next week. Dorman beats Byrnes and both are 4-1. Gaffney beats Riverside and makes them 4-1 AND Boiling Springs beats Hillcrest which puts them at 4-1. Now you have a 4 way tie for 1st with all being 4-1. I guess my point is that with 3 games left in the season, we could all drive ourselves crazy with hypotheticals. The region is doing what the region seems to always do and that’s prove that our region is one of, if not THE, toughest region in the state. I am proud to be part of this region even though, week to week could be a potential blood bath or upset.
My hypothetical for this week is Byrnes over Dorman, Gaffney over Riverside, Boiling Springs over Hillcrest, and I am going to give Spartanburg the edge over Mauldin. That would have the region looking like Byrnes 5-0, Boiling Springs 4-1, Gaffney 4-1, Dorman 3-2, Spartanburg 2-3, Hillcrest 1-4, Mauldin 1-4, and Riverside 0-5.
That sets up a HUGE Boiling Springs-Gaffney game next week.[/quote]

I want a 3 way tie breaker with Boiling Springs and Dorman involved, Dorman would win that everytime. :lol: But that can only happen for a second place finish between Dorman, Gaffney, and BS.
DHSCavsFan
Varsity

Return to Class 5A