Clover losing players

This board covers the teams playing in Class 5A in South Carolina.

Re: Clover losing players

Postby OnionRings » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:11 pm

I hear ya man, that's rough. Any word on a new high school that might divide Lake Wylie and Clover?
OnionRings
Freshman

Postby hamp1234 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:29 am

With the continued growth, with the next 3 to 5 they will have to build. Sports wise I think that will be the best thing that can happen, they should have done it instead of building a middle school a few years back.
This is a mugging! Now fork it over, or stick a fork in it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hamp1234
JV

Postby tomahawk97 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:53 am

[quote=“OnionRings”]Hamp it’s pretty obvious you don’t like Lane, we get it

You post a lot about the good ole boy system being a problem in Clover, But Lane is not a part of that system to my knowledge. (not from there, never coached or taught there)

to me the good ole boy system is promoting people that already work at the school and may not be qualified, or hiring relatives of powerful community leaders (Lane is neither)

As for 1 signing, Clover has never been a consistent hot bed of football talent. Was Smith getting a lot of players signed?

11 players at baseball tryouts is a baseball/athletic director issue, not on Lane. Also, no region wins in basketball, athletic issue, not Lane. FYI as the largest school in the region by a long shot, Clover should at least be competitive in all sports

And lastly the QB cannot transfer, one legit move is all you get

To me the football team was better this year than in any of the Smith years, and y’all gave him 5-6 years? Lane has coached 1 season

If your point is that Clover athletics need to get it together, agree, no question, but bashing Lane constantly will not get that done.[/quote]
tomahawk97
JV

Postby tomahawk97 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:02 am

[quote=“tomahawk97”][quote=“OnionRings”]Hamp it’s pretty obvious you don’t like Lane, we get it

You post a lot about the good ole boy system being a problem in Clover, But Lane is not a part of that system to my knowledge. (not from there, never coached or taught there)

to me the good ole boy system is promoting people that already work at the school and may not be qualified, or hiring relatives of powerful community leaders (Lane is neither)

As for 1 signing, Clover has never been a consistent hot bed of football talent. Was Smith getting a lot of players signed?

11 players at baseball tryouts is a baseball/athletic director issue, not on Lane. Also, no region wins in basketball, athletic issue, not Lane. FYI as the largest school in the region by a long shot, Clover should at least be competitive in all sports

And lastly the QB cannot transfer, one legit move is all you get

To me the football team was better this year than in any of the Smith years, and y’all gave him 5-6 years? Lane has coached 1 season

If your point is that Clover athletics need to get it together, agree, no question, but bashing Lane constantly will not get that done.[/quote][/quote]
Lane is a good coach that needs time to get his system in motion it looks as if he is making progress. The Good Ole boy system is what we have in Gaffney with Dan Jones promoted within and friends with the ex superintendent or Donnie Littlejohn who serves as an offensive coordinator that calls our plays but he played oline in college and he also serves as an principal in the school and we only had 3 players to sign college scholarships despite only losing 5 games the last 2 years and finishing tied for 1st in the toughest region in the state.
tomahawk97
JV

Postby hamp1234 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:10 am

If Bailey (AD & Head basketball coach) Lane ( assistant AD & Head Football coach) and Wofford (Head baseball coach) we’re coaching these kids up and checking on their grades weekly Clover could sign more players. The point is there are some good talented kids at clover but when these kids set in the coaches office playing video games instead of studying or watching film do you think they are going to get better or improve their grades. Also I have never said Lane was apart of the good old boys club, they actually don’t like him, and concerning Smith he made the playoffs offs his last year. Smith had already turned the program around, but lane hasn’t built off that and improved it any further other than changing offense. Now he, Bailey and wofford are losing players, how is that improving the program. If he couldn’t win with the rebels with all that talent then he’s not the deference maker for clover.
This is a mugging! Now fork it over, or stick a fork in it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hamp1234
JV

Postby CHS82 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:54 am

Never seen so much negativity from someone. Man get over it! We lost players and had players didn't play under Smith and coaches before. I haven't liked every boss in my life, but I had a job to do. It don't matter if they had the best in the state, something negative gonna be posted. Good or Bad I'm a Blue Eagle!!
CHS82
Freshman

Postby clovereaglefan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:27 pm

[quote=“CHS82”]Never seen so much negativity from someone. Man get over it! We lost players and had players didn’t play under Smith and coaches before. I haven’t liked every boss in my life, but I had a job to do. It don’t matter if they had the best in the state, something negative gonna be posted. Good or Bad I’m a Blue Eagle!![/quote]

I appreciate that CHS82, this guy just pounds the Blue Eagles every chance he gets and yet he claims to be a fan. Hate to see what he would post if he wasn't. GO BLUE....can't wait until this season to begin!
"Don't think you are....Know you are"
clovereaglefan
JV

Postby Ytownknowsbest » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:24 am

If Lane couldn't win in Burns with all those athletes, do you really think he can win in clover? Clover had a up year this past season and all the other York County teams were down and they still did note beat any other York County team that is in their region.
Ytownknowsbest
Freshman

Postby clovereaglefan » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:34 am

Well we managed to beat Fort Mill, not a whole lot of glory in that I guess but a win is still a win. The best part of this past season was beating York with Bobby Carroll at the helm and beating South Point (NC) which was tough to do in the past. We lost a good majority of games by a field goal or one touchdown most of the time. Penalties and discipline were a big factor in those games also which I hope they work on that for 2019. Not holding my breath on that one though. Clover has the players to get the job done if they and Coach Lane can manage to get their head screwed on right. Those penalties were a momentum killers at crucial points in those games.....maddening.
"Don't think you are....Know you are"
clovereaglefan
JV

Previous

Return to Class 5A