Youth Football

Palmetto Football Talk’s Locker Room is a message board to discuss sports topics other than prep and college football. NASCAR, baseball, whatever - this is the place.

Youth Football

Postby CWall2001 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:49 pm

Any of you have kids that play youth football? If so what leagues? My son was with AAU travel program Carolina Bulldogs, but this season we ended up back at D6. Had our first scrimmage last night and he showed out. Just wondering if anyone else on here has kids that play.

Stats from scrimmage:
Defense: 7 Tackles, 1 FF, 1 FR, 1 INT (pick 6)
Offense: 3 TD's, 3 pancakes
I specialize in logo design, sports edits, action photography, t-shirt designs and other graphic design.

Twitter: @CWSportMedia
Instagram: @CWSportMedia
Facebook: CW Sport Media
CWall2001
JV

Re: Youth Football

Postby Billy Jones » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:03 pm

CWall2001 wrote:Any of you have kids that play youth football? If so what leagues? My son was with AAU travel program Carolina Bulldogs, but this season we ended up back at D6. Had our first scrimmage last night and he showed out. Just wondering if anyone else on here has kids that play.

Stats from scrimmage:
Defense: 7 Tackles, 1 FF, 1 FR, 1 INT (pick 6)
Offense: 3 TD's, 3 pancakes

Try not to take this the wrong way, but please don't let your child "specialize" in a sport. Travel leagues don't make your son bigger, stronger, faster. You will eventually burn him out on the particular sport. Let him try them ALL!
Billy Jones
Freshman

Postby CWall2001 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:13 pm

I know what you mean, and please don't think that's what we're doing here. He has played baseball and football since he was 4 years old and loves the game. This year is his first year not playing baseball. He is playing football and will be running track this year as well. I do have to argue with your travel sports argument though. The improvement he has picked up from the AAU ball and the All-American games he plays in have definitely improved his game. Season stats through 7 games:

76 tackles, 3 interceptions, 4 FF, 2 FR / 14 Carries for 266 yds, 5/7 receptions for 80 yds, 4 tds, 5 pancakes

Travel ball definitly made him better. I understand what you're saying, but my son picks which sports he wants to play and how much he wants to play. It's what he does for fun. He trains when he wants to, and is constantly studying the game. Just to be clear though, he no longer plays travel football as I stated in my first post.
I specialize in logo design, sports edits, action photography, t-shirt designs and other graphic design.

Twitter: @CWSportMedia
Instagram: @CWSportMedia
Facebook: CW Sport Media
CWall2001
JV

Postby BrielleDodson » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:14 am

CWall2001 wrote:I know what you mean, and please don't think that's what we're doing here. He has played baseball and football since he was 4 years old and loves the game. This year is his first year not playing baseball. He is playing football and will be running track this year as well. I do have to argue with your travel sports argument though. The improvement he has picked up from the AAU ball and the All-American games he plays in have definitely improved his game. Season stats through 7 games:

76 tackles, 3 interceptions, 4 FF, 2 FR / 14 Carries for 266 yds, 5/7 receptions for 80 yds, 4 tds, 5 pancakes

Travel ball definitly made him better. I understand what you're saying, but my son picks which sports he wants to play and how much he wants to play. It's what he does for fun. He trains when he wants to, and is constantly studying the game. Just to be clear though, he no longer plays travel football as I stated in my first post.

Personally I think that sport is the best way of spending time for young people. It trains their brains and body at the whole. As rule, children are changing in a better way.
Don’t change yourself to be perfect. Find someone that is as imperfect as you to complete you.
BrielleDodson
Freshman

Postby wavefan70s » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:28 pm

Jr plays travel baseball.will try football next year.he turned down the middle school team this year to keep up with school.
I let him play what he wants.but at 5ft 6 or7 185 in 7th grade(not the biggest but solid enough) i think he should give it a try.
I hope he does well.but who knows.
Is travel football like baseball in that you have to watch out for teams that arent in your best interest?
GO DUKE
wavefan70s
All-American

Return to The Locker Room