Someone bring me up to speed

Palmetto Football Talk’s Locker Room is a message board to discuss sports topics other than prep and college football. NASCAR, baseball, whatever - this is the place.

Someone bring me up to speed

Postby RHHS8068 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:52 pm

During Spiller's Heisman campaign, he was billed as a "First Team Academic All ACC" and as having "Graduated from Clemson in 3.5 Years".

How does such a person then go a score a 10 on the Wonderlic? A score of 10 implies he's barely literate.
RHHS8068
Freshman
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Someone bring me up to speed

Postby Catch The Buzz » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:27 pm

Check this out for more information.

http://walterfootball.com/draftwonderlic.php
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
User avatar
Catch The Buzz
All-American
 
Posts: 1643
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:19 pm

Re: Someone bring me up to speed

Postby XpectDaTruth » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:24 pm

I think that is a fairly high score for a CLEMSON graduate. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is. Winston Churchill
User avatar
XpectDaTruth
All-American
 
Posts: 1141
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Someone bring me up to speed

Postby Woodruff Star » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:15 am

I went to high school with a girl who had a 4.8 GPA who scored a 17 on the ACT...

She is now in pharmacy school and had a 3.8 GPA in college.

Some people don't do well on standardized tests.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Woodruff Star
Heisman
 
Posts: 12578
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:20 am

Re: Someone bring me up to speed

Postby BulldogAtHeart » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:35 pm

I made the dean's list in college but my SAT score was CRAP! The difference was, I studied for my tests in HS and college. The wonderlick is not a test these guys study for. Hell most dont even take it serious. Just like Tebow, who we would all consider fairly intelligent, only scored 20. These guys take this test on the same weekend all they can think about is performing physically. All of their time and efforts have gone into getting physically ready. That combined with the fact that I have never heard of someone not getting drafted because they scored low on the wonderlick test, but tested GREAT in the physical drills.

So you tell me..would YOU care at all about the wonderlick if you knew you were probably gonna be a 1st round draft pick? Yeah, I didnt think so.
User avatar
BulldogAtHeart
Freshman
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: Someone bring me up to speed

Postby footballfan84 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:27 am

BulldogAtHeart wrote:I made the dean's list in college but my SAT score was CRAP! The difference was, I studied for my tests in HS and college. The wonderlick is not a test these guys study for. Hell most dont even take it serious. Just like Tebow, who we would all consider fairly intelligent, only scored 20. These guys take this test on the same weekend all they can think about is performing physically. All of their time and efforts have gone into getting physically ready. That combined with the fact that I have never heard of someone not getting drafted because they scored low on the wonderlick test, but tested GREAT in the physical drills.

So you tell me..would YOU care at all about the wonderlick if you knew you were probably gonna be a 1st round draft pick? Yeah, I didnt think so.



I just have a hard time getting past the name of the test!!!! "Wonderlick"!! :o
Talent alone won't make you a success. Neither will being at the right place at the right time, unless you're ready. The most important question is "are you ready"?
footballfan84
All-American
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:45 am

Re: Someone bring me up to speed

Postby BulldogAtHeart » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:15 pm

footballfan84 wrote:
BulldogAtHeart wrote:I made the dean's list in college but my SAT score was CRAP! The difference was, I studied for my tests in HS and college. The wonderlick is not a test these guys study for. Hell most dont even take it serious. Just like Tebow, who we would all consider fairly intelligent, only scored 20. These guys take this test on the same weekend all they can think about is performing physically. All of their time and efforts have gone into getting physically ready. That combined with the fact that I have never heard of someone not getting drafted because they scored low on the wonderlick test, but tested GREAT in the physical drills.

So you tell me..would YOU care at all about the wonderlick if you knew you were probably gonna be a 1st round draft pick? Yeah, I didnt think so.



I just have a hard time getting past the name of the test!!!! "Wonderlick"!! :o


Do you think it was named after a guy that came up with the test? If so..do you think he landed a lot of hot chicks..simply due to his last name?? lol
User avatar
BulldogAtHeart
Freshman
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: Someone bring me up to speed

Postby CHEAP SHOT » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:50 pm

From ESPN:

Spiller's Low Wonderlic Score No Cause for Concern

Former Clemson running back C.J. Spiller might be one of the top running back prospects in this year’s draft, but he’s not the smartest.

According to story by the National Football Post, Spiller scored a 10 on the Wonderlic test, the lowest score among all running backs. Stanford’s Toby Gerhart had the highest score among running backs with a 30.

The test, which was given to all attendees at the NFL combine last month, contains 50 questions that assess problem-solving skills in 12 minutes.

Running backs and fullbacks typically score notoriously low on the exam. According to Paul Zimmerman, former Sports Illustrated journalist and author of the book "The New Thinking Man's Guide to Pro Football," fullbacks score an average of 17 on the test, while running backs have the lowest average score at 16.

But honestly, how much does a Wonderlic score really mean when it comes to play on the field?

Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young reportedly scored a 6 on the test and went on to be the 2006 rookie of the year. Green Bay Packers rookie Javon Walker scored a 7 coming out of Florida State.

Last year, it was reported that Percy Harvin of Florida scored a 12.

What will matter is what Spiller can do on the field. He posted a 4.37 40 time at the combine, the second-fastest among running backs. He did 18 reps on the bench press.

And ESPN.com’s Mel Kiper Jr. still has Spiller as the top running back in this year’s draft.
CHEAP SHOT
Freshman
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: Someone bring me up to speed

Postby RHHS8068 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:55 pm

CHEAP SHOT wrote:From ESPN:

Spiller's Low Wonderlic Score No Cause for Concern

Former Clemson running back C.J. Spiller might be one of the top running back prospects in this year’s draft, but he’s not the smartest.

According to story by the National Football Post, Spiller scored a 10 on the Wonderlic test, the lowest score among all running backs. Stanford’s Toby Gerhart had the highest score among running backs with a 30.

The test, which was given to all attendees at the NFL combine last month, contains 50 questions that assess problem-solving skills in 12 minutes.

Running backs and fullbacks typically score notoriously low on the exam. According to Paul Zimmerman, former Sports Illustrated journalist and author of the book "The New Thinking Man's Guide to Pro Football," fullbacks score an average of 17 on the test, while running backs have the lowest average score at 16.

But honestly, how much does a Wonderlic score really mean when it comes to play on the field?

Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young reportedly scored a 6 on the test and went on to be the 2006 rookie of the year. Green Bay Packers rookie Javon Walker scored a 7 coming out of Florida State.

Last year, it was reported that Percy Harvin of Florida scored a 12.

What will matter is what Spiller can do on the field. He posted a 4.37 40 time at the combine, the second-fastest among running backs. He did 18 reps on the bench press.

And ESPN.com’s Mel Kiper Jr. still has Spiller as the top running back in this year’s draft.


The big difference is none of the players with low scores named in this article were promoted by their schools as having been all-academic in their conference.
RHHS8068
Freshman
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Someone bring me up to speed

Postby BulldogAtHeart » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:28 am

The "big difference" is you study for classes you take in college, not the wonderlick. Has the wonderlick ever caused a players draft status to drop? Ive yet to figure out why they administer that test. Anyone know the point of it?
User avatar
BulldogAtHeart
Freshman
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:25 pm

Next

Return to The Locker Room

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest