Transfer rules

This forum is for the South Carolina Independent High School Association League. Discuss the top players, teams and games from around the state for the top private schools.

Transfer rules

Postby EagleDad3411 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:41 pm

There are rumors swirling in SCISA basketball that a few teams are bringing in players for the second semester. What is the ruling on transfers being eligible? I heard 60 days from the first day of the second semester which would make all basketball transfers ineligible. Is that correct?
EagleDad3411
Freshman

Re: Transfer rules

Postby J1871 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:22 pm

I could be wrong, but I think the 60 day rule is from one SCISA school to another SCISA school.

Doc or Godfather would know for sure.
J1871
JV

Postby docgibbons » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:52 am

i have no idea - nothing on SCISA.org about it either
docgibbons
All-American

Postby CoachSalley » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:55 am

It’s in the Blue Book. 60 days always for SCISA to SCISA. The 60 days can be waived by the Athletic Committee for non-SCISA, but only if transfers take place prior to start of 2nd semester. Then it’s 10 practices. I want to say that’s in there primarily so as not to penalize the kid whose family moves to a new town at mid-year. I doubt very seriously the committee would waive the rule for a local public-to-private transfer.

This goes way back, but long ago (maybe 2006?) Mike Davis, who wound up playing RB for USC, played his HS football at Columbia High. He transferred to Glenforest in spring, and graduated from there. He wasn’t eligible for basketball due to the 60-day rule, but was for track (which is why I remember the story).
CoachSalley
Freshman

Return to SCISA