S.C. 8-Man Football State Rankings

This forum is for the South Carolina Independent High School Association League. Discuss the top players, teams and games from around the state for the top private schools.

Re: S.C. 8-Man Football State Rankings

Postby wesley » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:25 am

wolves88 wrote:
loveSCISAsports wrote:
dawgfan71 wrote:If I remember correctly Laurens Academy tried to play 11 man football and learned that they are not that good. Its funny that since they couldn't win they decided to drop back down to the 8 man game.

YOu tried and failed! so now all you can do is try to talk smack!

Laurens Academy didn't fail at 11-man football; the reason they dropped back to 8-man is their small roster size. When you don't have enough lineman to put five guys up front, does it make sense to play an 11-man schedule? Coach Kirk did what he felt was best for the program and his athletes.

Absolutely correct. And while 19 players makes us slightly larger than what I've seen as the average sized 8-man team ( 15-16 players); our large number of young players and lack of size makes every game tough. 8 freshmen, 3 sophmores, 2 juniors, and 6 seniors means we have a mixture of varsity experience and young players still learning the game. And with only one player that goes above 190 lbs the Clarendon Hall game was the only one where we weren't outsized on the line.

What I love about this group of boys is their hearts and their desire to be successful. They spent the whole off season in the weight room, they drove the coaches crazy wanting them to open the room up at all hours of the day and night, and then went to the YMCA when the coaches weren't available!
On the field they never quit. They treat each play as if it is their last one, in the last game they will ever have!
We may not win the conference, Wardlaw is always dangerous and JDA is big, strong and determined. We may fall in the playoffs before the championship game, but these boy understand what it means to be a Crusader. They will play their hearts out, leave it all on the field, because it's their nature to do no less!
"I AM WAR. I TAKE THEM ALL. I MAKE THEIR MOTHERS CRY. I HAVE NO MERCY. I AM WAR." GSGT BOB LEE ( BOB THE NAILER ) SWAGGER.
wesley
All-American

Postby falconfan » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:55 am

I can't speak for all, but my kid did not choose 8-man football over 11-man football. In fact, football is something he does to pass time. The decision was made for academic reasons. We are very good at football at FICS, and maybe even the best 8-man team in the state. (We will never know.) But we will be even better in basketball and baseball, the only sports that matter to the majority of these kids. That is arguements for later down the road. (just kidding) Although, if we are not playing that week, I will love to watch the game between LA and JDA. I wish all the schedules were posted on this site. I am from B'ville and will be pulling for LA to pull the upset, if it even will be an upset.
falconfan
Freshman

Postby dawgfan71 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:49 pm

what % of LA is AA? is it on par with the % at other area schools? just wondering...no harm meant.
dawgfan71
JV

Postby wesley » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:14 am

1A is divided into 8-man and 11 man. 8-man is 48 boys or less in the high school. LA curently is at 45. 11 man is 49 up, I don't know the cutoff but Richard Winn has about 75 boys and is playing in 1A-11man

The truth is LA is currently playing in their natural classification. As a Clinton high supporter would you expect CHS to move up to 4A and have to play Dorman, Byrnes, Spartanburg, Summerville every week?

How about you let us worry about Laurens Academy and you go back to cheering for your Red Devils!
Last edited by wesley on Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I AM WAR. I TAKE THEM ALL. I MAKE THEIR MOTHERS CRY. I HAVE NO MERCY. I AM WAR." GSGT BOB LEE ( BOB THE NAILER ) SWAGGER.
wesley
All-American

Postby dawgfan71 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:07 am

being a pvt school...can LA contol admissions as to not get over the 48 boy limit?
dawgfan71
JV

Postby wesley » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:31 am

dawgfan71 wrote:being a pvt school...can LA contol admissions as to not get over the 48 boy limit?

Short answer...No. You apply , you meet the admission requirements and there is a place available, gender can't be a factor.
wesley
All-American

Postby wesley » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:16 am

As a pbl school... can CHS take a special education student who can barely read or write, who is incapable of passing even the basic courses required for graduation, who must be given different colored wrist bands so he can tell his left from his right,... can they use this boy as a football player for 4 years and then cast him loose when his elegability is used up? No diploma, certificate, nothing? No harm intended...just wondering.
wesley
All-American

Postby Blaster65 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:49 am

falconfan wrote:I can't speak for all, but my kid did not choose 8-man football over 11-man football. In fact, football is something he does to pass time. The decision was made for academic reasons. We are very good at football at FICS, and maybe even the best 8-man team in the state. (We will never know.) But we will be even better in basketball and baseball, the only sports that matter to the majority of these kids. That is arguements for later down the road. (just kidding) Although, if we are not playing that week, I will love to watch the game between LA and JDA. I wish all the schedules were posted on this site. I am from B'ville and will be pulling for LA to pull the upset, if it even will be an upset.

Try here for schedules http://scisa.org/athletics/football/
Blaster65
Freshman

Postby FallenRaider » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:17 pm

What's the talk about FICS being #1 SC 8 man ranked team ? It must be easy to be ranked that way when ya'll play two of the same teams twice in one season. How can it be ya'll play out of state teams that are even ranked and ya'll get a #1 ranking in the state. Why not play Kings Academy again ya'll barely beat them?
FallenRaider
Freshman

Postby LAnomad » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:10 am

Talk about having to defend a team!!! We dont make the ranking just hold the spot and hopefully will play Kings again in two weeks. Wish we could get something set up to play other teams but not gonna happen,we play the sch we're giving but not scared to play anybody thats a fact!!!! Got any takers in mind Fallenradier?
LAnomad
Freshman

PreviousNext

Return to SCISA