Weekly Softball Poll

This forum is for the South Carolina Independent High School Association League. Discuss the top players, teams and games from around the state for the top private schools.

Re: Weekly Softball Poll

Postby NAFAN » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:26 pm

and on CPA ...

By DREW TRIPP sportsdesk@lowcountry.com | 0 comments
Colleton Prep’s varsity softball team keeps on racking up the quality wins.
CPA (13-4) won pair of mercy rule-shortened games at home last week, first defeating Class AAA Northwood Academy, 14-4, in five innings on Thursday before dismantling Clarendon Hall, a SCISA Region 1-A rival and the defending SCISA Class A State Champion, 15-0, in four innings on Friday.
The win against Class AAA Northwood was already the second of the season for the Class A Lady War Hawks (CPA also beat Northwood March 15, 14-1). They are now 7-2 for the season against larger SCISA AAA opponents.
One of those two losses to AAA teams came against Laurence Manning, a team that Colleton Prep later defeated twice in its Lady War Hawks Invitational tournament last weekend. The other came Tuesday against Orangeburg Prep, 2-0.
Colleton Prep head coach Mallory Crawford says the wins against larger teams are a strong testament to how good her team is this season.
“There’s been a lot of talk about us playing down in 1-A this year and us not really facing good competition, and people saying that’s the reason we’re doing so well,” Crawford said. “I think our record against 3-A schools shows that’s not true.
“Also, it’s our first year in 1-A. We don’t know what other schools have as far as talent, or what we’ll see in the state tournament. That’s why I schedule all of these 3-A schools — so we can face better competition and be prepared for anything we might see in the playoffs.”
Courtney Kramer was awarded the win from the pitcher’s circle for CPA against Northwood. She pitched four innings, and Kendall Jumper pitched one. Jumper pitched CPA to victory against Clarendon Hall, surrendering just one hit to the defending Class A champs.
Ashlyn Polk led CPA at the plate against Clarendon Hall with a three-run home run.
“I’m pleased with how we’re playing right now,” Crawford said. “Everybody’s hitting right now, from the top to the bottom of our lineup. I said in the preseason, that’s one of the things it would take for us to be successful, and we’re doing that. We’ve also pitched extremely well. I think we’re playing our best ball right now.”
Colleton Prep was scheduled to face Cathedral Academy Monday, and will travel to Ridgeland for a much-anticipated matchup with former Class AA rival Thomas Heyward tomorrow. Crawford says CPA is looking to make a statement in this game after losing six of its last seven games against the Lady Rebels dating back to 2011.
NAFAN
JV

Postby hangemhigh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:27 pm

I must say I enjoy NAFAN's passing on press reports on various teams. Sheds some light as to what is going on in 1A. Thanks NAFAN!
hangemhigh
Freshman

Postby sandy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:13 pm

ole cavalier wrote:I find it amusing that most everyone on here cries about classification.The truth is if we were playing in SCHSL all the Scissa schools would be in one division.Thats right ,we would all be 1A in SCHSL.Colleton Prep has a great program.They are capable of beating anyone on any given day.Good pitching beats good hitting all day long.There are several good teams in SCISA that will compete with one another no matter what there classification is.
I am going to guess at the Scissa top 10 based on what I have observed.

1. Malboro County.
2. LMA
3. Colleton Prep
4.Orangeburg Prep
5.Holly Hill
6.Wilson Hall
7.Thomas Sumter
8.Willamsburg
9.Carolina Academy
10 A.Hammond
10B. Robert E Lee.

Malboro is clearly a cut above everyone right know.Positions 2 thru 10 is probally more competetive than I have ever seen it.I have not seen Florence Christian or Pee Dee but I have heard they look good.The talent level in SCISA softball is at an all time high across the board.
Still with what I see Cp is above Malboro in the poll. Just one persons opion!!
sandy
Freshman

Postby moondog » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:24 pm

Bless the CP coach. I love the line from that article in which she states that by coming down to 1A, CP isn't sure what other teams have. As if that puts them at a large disadvantage. LOL

Her toughest job of the season will be keeping the wheels on the bus going round and round while they demolish 1A teams. Something that most certainly takes skill and I'm serious when I say that.
moondog
JV

Postby Softball Coach » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:31 pm

moondog wrote:Bless the CP coach. I love the line from that article in which she states that by coming down to 1A, CP isn't sure what other teams have. As if that puts them at a large disadvantage. LOL

Her toughest job of the season will be keeping the wheels on the bus going round and round while they demolish 1A teams. Something that most certainly takes skill and I'm serious when I say that.

Check your PM.
Softball Coach
JV

Postby sandy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:57 pm

Come on guys, Andrew Jackson? Step child!! I personally would not waste my time writing on that one. Sorry AJ just saying. :oops: :oops: Good luck to both teams, give some game results with substance. Oh well, as hangemhigh would say. It is what it is!! ;) ;)
sandy
Freshman

Postby sandy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:10 pm

Softball Coach wrote:
moondog wrote:Bless the CP coach. I love the line from that article in which she states that by coming down to 1A, CP isn't sure what other teams have. As if that puts them at a large disadvantage. LOL

Check your PM.
Come on coach, now I am going to go crazy on the PM secret. Moondog can take it. Besides, I wanted to say something stupid. :shock: :shock:
sandy
Freshman

Postby Coaching 101 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:45 am

I find all the CP talk quite humorous! Everybody will be singing to a different tune next year when they lose four very important seniors. I guess then it will be "fair" for them to be in 1A. The coach just happens to be blessed with good talent. And her statement in the article is right; they don't know what other teams have. They still have to show up and play every game. Wins aren't automatic. It's a game; anything could happen. And they are still kids. It's important to remember that.
Coaching 101
Freshman

Postby Coaching 101 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:16 am

I find all the CP talk quite humorous! Everybody will be singing to a different tune next year when they lose four very important seniors. I guess then it will be "fair" for them to be in 1A. The coach just happens to be blessed with good talent. And her statement in the article is right; they don't know what other teams have. They still have to show up and play every game. Wins aren't automatic. It's a game; anything could happen. And they are still kids. It's important to remember that.
Coaching 101
Freshman

Postby moondog » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:16 am

Coaching 101 wrote:I find all the CP talk quite humorous! Everybody will be singing to a different tune next year when they lose four very important seniors. I guess then it will be "fair" for them to be in 1A. The coach just happens to be blessed with good talent. And her statement in the article is right; they don't know what other teams have. They still have to show up and play every game. Wins aren't automatic. It's a game; anything could happen. And they are still kids. It's important to remember that.

What exactly do you find humorous?

CP is playing exactly where they need to be playing, 1A. They have an incredible team that as I've pointed out, simply keeping their heads screwed on straight and taking care of business will be tougher than the actual act of winning the title on the field.

But you're right in one regard, the coach doesn't know anything about 1A and more importantly the present talent level within the classification. As someone who knows firsthand what it's like to be a fan of a team that totally dominates its opposition, I would suggest you toughen up your skin a little bit and enjoy the banter. The girls and coaches have worked hard to be in this position, go get that title..........

The coach handled the interview perfectly.
moondog
JV

PreviousNext

Return to SCISA