[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Palmetto Football Talk | View topic - Weekly Softball Poll

Weekly Softball Poll

This forum is for the South Carolina Independent High School Association League. Discuss the top players, teams and games from around the state for the top private schools.

Weekly Softball Poll

Postby moondog » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:07 pm

I'd like to see a weeky softball poll on the board. It's hard for me to keep up with the teams in AA and AAA but would love to know who the best teams are now and how they may change as the season goes on. Because I'm only familiar with A, I'll put down my favorites. Hopefully others will weigh in......

SCISA Class A Poll for March 10
1) Colleton Prep
2) Clarendon Hall
3) Wardlaw
4) Laurens
5) King

I'll hang up now and listen.
moondog
JV

Re: Weekly Softball Poll

Postby Softball Coach » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:50 pm

Tough to comment about a poll based on ??? Laurens hasnt played a single game.
Softball Coach
JV

Postby moondog » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:12 pm

Man this thread is cracking me up. I've never witnessed a lack of opinions on here. If I remember correctly, last season folks had JDA and Newberry penciled in to play for a Championship before the season began. For me it's a good way to find out which teams I should pay attention to, especially in the other classes.

Coach, do you get started this week? If so, good luck!
moondog
JV

Postby Softball Coach » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:54 pm

Play Anderson Tues and Shannon Forest Thurs. Thanks.
Softball Coach
JV

Postby TSAgenerals » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:45 am

I haven't gotten a chance to get up to date with many teams and it's hard to get a real feel for everyone, but your top three or four seems about right for 1A. I really can't rank anyone because I just haven't seen enough and there's not enough material out there to form a good opinion on.

In 2A Marlboro seems to be the clear favorite as I believe they return just about everyone (if not everyone) from last year's State Championship team. THA was the favorite last year and lost practically everyone. I know TSA beat them in the first game of the Pre-State tournament yesterday. I really don't know much about the upstate or their teams so I really can't comment on them. I know Carolina picked up some players but have struggled a bit early on with some injuries and stuff. They will be a team to watch. I saw where Pee Dee beat FCS 6-0 last week and their kid threw a no-hitter so that in itself should make them at least a team to watch. Williamsburg is a little inexperienced this year but are always pretty strong. Holly Hill seems to be pretty decent from our region and I think it will come down to us and them.

In 3A, I would have to give the nod to LMA this year. Northwood is usually pretty strong, but I think I recall Raidertalk saying that Dorchester beat Northwood last week. Dorchester is a fairly average 2A team, but wouldn't be much in 3A so Northwood losing to them says a lot unless they were missing some players. Cardinal Newman is usually pretty strong but I'm not sure what they have this year. Pinewood was solid several years ago, but I believe they got in some trouble with SCISA a few years back and I'm not sure if they have recovered (Pinewood please correct me if I'm wrong).

I know that may not be much but that's based on what little I've seen and heard around 2A and 3A. Like I said, I just don't feel comfortable enough to even begin to rank the teams.
TSAgenerals
All-American

Postby ole cavalier » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:51 am

I know Malboro won the tournament this weekend.They beat Wison Hall 2-0, and LMA twice 7-0 and 9-0 .Thats pretty strong.Willamsburg,Holly Hill,LMA,and Colleton Prep are all solid.

3A. LMA should be the favorite.OP is gonna be good.
2A. Malboro County is the team to beat.Holly Hill and Willamsburg were impressive.
1A Colleton Prep

I was suprised that Clarendon Hall,Wardlaw are Laurens did not play.The seem really passionate about softball and this would have been a great event to see how they stack up with the rest of Scisa.
ole cavalier
Freshman

Postby NAFAN » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:35 am

1A Softball .. alot of questions to be answered still. There are 13 teams in 1A this year by my count (and MBCA and Coastal have aging JV teams I believe that may be moving up soon?). Here is my take based on what I have heard this year and saw last year . Have not seen any games this year.

Favorite - Colleton Prep - First Class pitching and some help.

Something to Prove - Clarendon Hall, Wardlaw, Laurens, JDA (no particular order)- All have some of the pieces, but probably not enough to overcome CP. They all have decent pitching and some help, but overall not sure the talent level is up to the challenge.

Spoilers - King - May be able to pull off a win or two to upset the apple cart. Probably not enough to compete for a region or state title.

The Rest - Patrick Henry, Andrew Jackson, Newberry, Anderson, Cathedral Academy, St Johns, Trinity-Byrnes - Unlikely to beat anyone not in this group.

So, you need a "poll"?

CP
Laurens
Clarendon Hall
Wardlaw
JDA
King
Patrick Henry
Newberry
Andrew Jackson
Anderson
Cathedral Academy
Trinity Byrnes
St Johns
NAFAN
JV

Postby hangemhigh » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:23 pm

hangemhigh
Freshman

Postby SaintsSoftball » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:29 pm

Not sure why Clarendon Hall didn't get in the tournament this year.I know the head coach wanted to play in it. The Saints actually have two pitchers this year & they have another kid that can throw some strikes but only if the other two get hurt. The Saints have the pieces in place to make a serious run at the championship again this year.. If they get lucky like we did last year, we didn't have to face JDA in the playoffs (which beat us twice in the regular season). The Saints have a weakness but I expect them to improve over the season. As far as ranking them now, I wouldn't have a clue.. CP is very strong but anybody can be beat on any given day. We weren't given any chance at all to get by Newberry last year after beating Laurens. Then we beat them twice 4-0 & 5-0. I know these kids & I believe in them even if I'm not coaching them this year. Wardlaw has an awesome group of girls that earned everybody's respect for doing what they done last year so you can't count them out either. JDA has a catcher that knows how to be a leader & if they follow her they will also be tough. I can't wait to watch the playoffs this year in 1A. In 2A I expect TSA to make a run. Especially since Logan Morris is back on the field. Lou & Dean have done an outstanding job building that team over the last few years & they will win a Championship or two within the next 3 seasons. Gotta go with LMA in 3A, They just keep reloading.
SaintsSoftball
Freshman

Postby TSAgenerals » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:54 pm

Having Logan this year is a huge help for this team. Not only is she a great player, but she's as smart of a softball player that I've ever seen at her age. She's only an 8th grader but if you saw her play you would think she's a junior or senior. Last year was just a year to get the girls used to playing varsity for the first time and get that experience. This year getting Logan back into the fold is a chance for them to take that next step and contend for the region. HHA beat us 3-0 Saturday but from what I've heard we threw our #2 pitcher against them. She's a good pitcher, but it's a big drop from Emily Demonte to her as an 8th grader playing her first year of varsity and Demonte has great stuff and is used to going up against some of the best travel ball teams in the country. The next two years are going to be the years to try and bring home a championship. Depth is an issue right now but we have some very good young JV players this year that will really help this team the next few years. Even for the few years after this huge sophomore class graduates there will be some great talent all over the field. Pitching will be the issue, but as long as our #2 continues to improve and work hard she can become a very good pitcher herself.
TSAgenerals
All-American

Next

Return to SCISA