[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Palmetto Football Talk | View topic - Division/Region Rankings

Division/Region Rankings

This forum is for the South Carolina Independent High School Association League. Discuss the top players, teams and games from around the state for the top private schools.

Division/Region Rankings

Postby 1Ahoopfan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:48 am

Now that we've gotten to see everybody play some games, how bout some thoughts on what we are expecting as we enter Region play?

In 1A, nothing has changed to think that anyone but Christian Academy will ultimately cut down the nets...... But Laurens has definitely been a surprise in that they appear to be the top team from Region2, with Newberry a step down from where they had been expected to be. Region 3 should be the most competitive Region, as St. John's is not as good as I expected them to be...... They are talented, but I have been dissappointed in their effort level when I have seen them, and I think they may end up even third in this region. I think Faith is the favorite at this point, and Coastal might sneak up on St. Johns as well.

In 2A, the intriguing thing is who will be the 4th team to make it to the Final Four..... It certainly looks likely that Collegiate, Oakbrook, and SCA will be there. THey appear to all be living up to expectations and you would certainly expect one of the three to win state in this, the most competitive division in SCISA. If I had to pick right now, PCA would likely be the favorite in Region 2, although I haven't seen them yet, but based on scores, DA could compete strongly there. But at this point PCA would be my pick for that 4th slot..(of course brackets could have a say in that as well). Haven't seen anyone from Region 4 yet, and frankly very few scores even, so would appreciate some thoughts from that area.

In 3A, PG definitely appears to be the team to beat, and I think there is a pretty good gap between them and the next level, which appears to be Aug Christian, Hammond, and Heathwood, with OPS and Cardinal Newman MAYBE being good enough to sneak into that 2nd tier. Pinewood and FB and LMA are all way down from historical levels, although FB is the best of those three in my opinion.

About 6 weeks til tournament!! Interested to see how the conversation goes! ;)
1Ahoopfan
Freshman

Re: Division/Region Rankings

Postby NAFAN » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:49 am

In 1A region 2, Newberry is coming into a defining stretch. They play King on Friday, then Anderson and Laurens next week, followed up with a rematch against Wardlaw. At that point, I think all the cards will be on the table for the Eagles.
NAFAN
JV

Postby wesley » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:41 am

Laurens plays Wardlaw tomorrow and Mead Hall and Newberry next week. At that point LA will have played everyone in conference and that should give an indication of how it will shake out for the second round.
"I AM WAR. I TAKE THEM ALL. I MAKE THEIR MOTHERS CRY. I HAVE NO MERCY. I AM WAR." GSGT BOB LEE ( BOB THE NAILER ) SWAGGER.
wesley
All-American

Postby JYD » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:43 pm

JYD
JV

Postby rtv77 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:14 pm

In AAA, Region 1, in my opinion, is without a doubt the most interesting region. We've got four teams that could each make a case for winning the region. I ultimately think the Augusta Christian offense, averaging over 75 points a game, will be enough to carry them to the region championship. We'll have to see how this team defends against CN, HAM, and HHES.
rtv77
Freshman

Postby cyclonefan11 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:26 pm

Keep in mind that Hammond and Cardinal Newman are both better than their record. They have played some big showcase games due to their superstars. Expect both to continue to rise in the coming weeks.

Has anyone heard about the prepcountry coaches poll this year?
cyclonefan11
Varsity

Postby 1Ahoopfan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:43 pm

I realize not everyone opened region play last Friday, but from those who have, at least from what's been posted, the one BIG surprise was the St Johns/Faith game.! In starting this thread last week, I indicated that when I saw St. Johns, I had been disappointed in their effort offensively, and even more so defensively, and that in spite of superior talent, thought Faith would edge them out in 1A, and possibly even Coastal might give them a scare.
So while not shocked that they won the game Friday, the fact that they beat them SOOOOO soundly was stunning!
I guess St. Johns is back as the clear favorite to win their Region, and IF they can sustain the kind of effort and team play one presumes they had Friday, may even be able to give CAMB a scare for state!

Any one who was at the game to give more details, would be appreciated.
1Ahoopfan
Freshman

Postby Highlander » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:51 pm

rtv77,

Let me be the first to announce, the one horse race that you alluded to with August Christian being the only entry, has ended. AC lost a close one in overtime tonight against Heathwood. I think that it is safe to say that a very good Augusta Christian team is just one of four very good teams in the region.

On the girls side, let's skip the season, crown the Lady Highlanders and give the next seed to the Lady Sky Hawks. Ben Lippen is the best of the rest.
Highlander
Freshman

Postby rtv77 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:02 am

rtv77
Freshman

Postby dolphindan1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:13 am

dolphindan1
JV

Next

Return to SCISA