Scrimmages and Jamboree's

This forum is for the South Carolina Independent High School Association League. Discuss the top players, teams and games from around the state for the top private schools.

Re: Scrimmages and Jamboree's

Postby generals » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:27 am

athleticbooster8 wrote:
Good report on the TSA BL game!! sounds like a few early season miscues was the difference. TSA was without a couple of key players also...that is super tough for schools our size....That real quick back BL has is indeed fast...if it is the same kid i am thinking about he is lightening quick...been playing with them several years..did you notice if their receivers were as tall as last year? or are those 2 young men gone? At any rate the thing i like most about BL is that their players have ALWAYS acted with class whether they beat our brains in (like last year) or lost a close one...but if the truth be known every SCISA team we have played for the 5 years i have been closely following has always acted with supreme class....i think it must be due to the fact that we have OUTSTANDING football coaches...

I know BL still has at least one tall guy. He missed a few passes and ran a wrong route, but I put that down to it still being early. I can't exactly remember if they had another one. Both they and the coaches were very classy. Passed several of them before the scrimmage and they were all very polite. We also scrimmage their basketball teams during the preseason and they are the same way. I agree that all the schools I've seen show tremendous class. Even when things get heated on the field in close games, cooler heads always prevail.
generals
Varsity

Postby EagleMan52 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:39 am

titan 3466 wrote:Eagleman I thought Kings was playing 8 man this year, how did the JV scrimage go did they play 8 man or 11.

The scrimmage last night was 11 man. I wasn't out there long but FC's first string scored at will and their defense was ok. King's made some nice plays on both side of the ball including a couple of really great catches. Like I said, I didn't see the whole entire scrimmage and I probably missed some things. I will try to pay better attention tonight though.
“Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire, a dream, a vision.”
EagleMan52
All-American

Postby Highlander » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:36 pm

Richard Winn has been added to Heathwood's Annual Jamboree, scheduled for Friday. They will play Cardinal Newman for two quarters, in what should be an evenly matched event. I give the edge to RW. Cardinal Newman has only been able to beat themselves during the last few years. Unless someone new has moved in, this should be a low scoring event.

In the second match of the evening, defending SCISA Champion, the Hammond School takes on rival and the only team to defeat them last season, Heathwood Hall.

If Hammond comes out throwing it could be a long evening for Heathwood's undersized secondary. They have a lot of speed, but no size or experience. On the other side, it should be interesting to see how Hammond stops Corey Miller after the catch, because you can expect Heathwood to look to drop it off to him all night long. At 6'3", 220 lbs., he will be hard to bring down. I predict Hammond by a touchdown, but don't expect to see too much. These teams will play at during the regular season and hope to meet up again deep into the playoffs. Neither coach is going to want to show any good stuff this early in the year. Hammond's experience and their participation in the OP Jamboree gives them an advantage. Heathwood's young QB will need a game or two to get his "sea legs."
Highlander
Freshman

Postby tb66 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:40 pm

It's always hard to predict how teams that play each other in the season will approach a jamboree scrimmage. This is especially true when the teams are big rivals. A couple of years ago, Hammond and Heathwood played in the HHES Jamboree, and both teams really went at each other. It felt a lot like a real game. Last year when they played in the same event, it was a very low key affair. Both teams were extremely basic in terms of schemes, and the whole atmosphere was oddly sterile. Both sides just seemed to be going through the motions.

You would think Blackstone would want throw a little bit more into this one, simply because his key players don't have much experience. He probably wants to see how his kids react to as many different situations as possible. Plus, he needs to get them battle-tested in a hurry. Three of the first four games will be very tough (BL, P-G, WH). On the other hand, you would think Kimrey's primary motivation would be to get this over with and keep his starters healthy, since he has the luxury of a senior-heavy team. So I actually think Heathwood might have the edge in this scrimmage. Again, though, that's based on "conventional wisdom" -- something that often goes out the door when these teams meet.
tb66
JV

Postby athleticbooster8 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:45 pm

tb and highlander PLEASE make sure you give us the low down on what transpired in tonights scrimmage....tb that is a very insightful analysis of the thought process both coaches are probably going through. But just like you noted the rivalry factor cannot be discounted. i am sure all of the 3A fans would like to know how the top 2 teams from last year look again this year. i for one hope Cardinal Newman has more young men out for football Please include them and Richard Winn in your report of the games...Thank you booster.

So far i have heard of no SERIOUS injuries...i am praying that keeps up all year ...
athleticbooster8
Freshman

Postby hoopitup » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:02 pm

TSA vs LMA scrimmages canceled due to the weather. one observation was that LMA has a fairly large team by the numbers.

Hard work beats out Talent .........When talent doesn't work hard :| :cry:
Hard work beats talent.................When talent doesn't work hard
hoopitup
Varsity

Postby Highlander » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:48 pm

I think everyone with a pulse plays football at LMA. They and WH always bring lots of players.

I misspoke in my earlier post. Heathwood Jamboree is next Friday.
Highlander
Freshman

Postby tb66 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:51 pm

I don't know whether or not they played the Class AAA portion of the OP Jamboree tonight. Right when they were about to start it (8:00), there was a lightning delay. As of 8:35, they still hadn't started back, and two of the team buses had departed the complex. If the storm I passed through on the way home was any indication, I doubt they will play any more football in Orangeburg tonight. If they do, it will be a very late night.

A canceled scrimmage (if that's what happened) might be the best thing for a couple of the schools involved. It looked like Pinewood had at least 6 kids not dressed out, and Hammond had 5 starters not playing, including QB Dave Nidiffer. Apparently, he is out for the rest of the preseason, but hopes to be back in time for the opener against Cardinal Newman on the 27th. I think all but one of the others would have been able to play tonight if it had been the real thing.
tb66
JV

Postby Highlander » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:17 pm

They don't need Nidiffer for Cardinal Newman.
Highlander
Freshman

Postby mtpfootball8684 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:04 pm

There was a scrimmage at Cathedral's field last week between Cathedral, First Baptist, and Coastal Christian. Cathedral appeared to be the best team and should actually be the one of the better teams in 1A this year. First Baptist did alright but they were struggling to play with Cathedral and Coastal. Coastal has improved a lot since last year and good have a pretty good season this year.
mtpfootball8684
Freshman

PreviousNext

Return to SCISA