Scrimmages and Jamboree's

This forum is for the South Carolina Independent High School Association League. Discuss the top players, teams and games from around the state for the top private schools.

Re: Scrimmages and Jamboree's

Postby EagleMan52 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:56 pm

mytwocentsworth wrote:Is DCS hosting Florence Christian on Tuesday?

I heard about a week ago that these two were getting together for a scrimmage tomorrow night. I say that to tell you this, DC has cancelled many times on FC this summer, but I assume that this one is still on. Not sure of the location though.
“Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire, a dream, a vision.”
EagleMan52
All-American

Postby athleticbooster8 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:07 pm

We are playing the 3 other private schools in augusta for our jamboree. 2 of the teams are just now starting football programs so we were trying to help them along. We have invited (and actually got positive responses!!) from the 2 tv stations and the high school football writers from the augusta paper. Since most likely theses schools will be playing each other probably every year for many years to come and this is the inaugural game between the schools there is some excitement that has been generated. (and God knows we need some exposure locally - we get covered far better in the out of town papers than we do in our home town one as of now) The gate proceeds and concession go to the American Cancer Society. One of the teams is Augusta Prep (historically the school where all the financially affluent parents have sent their children) They have deep deep pockets and a beautiful new sports facility. More of a golf tennis and soccer school with excellent athletes in those sports but not sure how that will translate to the gridiron... The other new to football school is Westminster. They have several good athletes and an excellent coach & last year when the JV teams played (they were just then putting together a team and only had 9th & 10th graders) it was a slugfest. There was more real football played in that game than in ANY varsity game we had last year...Those boys are now on the varsity and actually like to hit people...so it wont be any kind of barometer for our upcoming SCISA schedule for us - other than to see if we are up to the challenge of the new kids trying to prove that they know how to hit and play smash mouth football...(which actually may be a good test after all..)
athleticbooster8
Freshman

Postby generals » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:01 am

Always great to hear new programs starting up! I'm assuming they will both play GISA?
generals
Varsity

Postby titan 3466 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:10 am

Eagleman, FCS website states your JV is hosting a scrimage on Thursday, do you know who they are playing? And is the JV team as good as they were last year.
titan 3466
Freshman

Postby EagleMan52 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:49 am

titan 3466 wrote:Eagleman, FCS website states your JV is hosting a scrimage on Thursday, do you know who they are playing? And is the JV team as good as they were last year.

I believe that's just an inner squad scrimmage, and no our JV will be nowhere near as good as last year. All that talent is moving up to varsity and I couldn't be more excited!
“Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire, a dream, a vision.”
EagleMan52
All-American

Postby wesley » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:14 am

8-man jamboree at W.W.King 8/13/10

6:00pm Andrew Jackson vs Jefferson Davis
6:40pm Clarendon Hall vs W.W. King
7.20pm Fountain Inn Christian vs Patrick Henry
8:00pm Laurens vs Wardlaw
8:40pm Greenwood Christian vs W.W. King

This should be a pretty good preview of 8-man . 8 of the 13 teams in the league will be there, including the 09 state champ and runner up. FIC, which plays in the christian school association should be interesting to watch . I've heard they've approached Laurens about the possibility of playing the Crusaders in basketball and baseball; it certainly would be nice if they would come on over to SCISA. We need more teams in the upstate to cut down on travel.
"I AM WAR. I TAKE THEM ALL. I MAKE THEIR MOTHERS CRY. I HAVE NO MERCY. I AM WAR." GSGT BOB LEE ( BOB THE NAILER ) SWAGGER.
wesley
All-American

Postby generals » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:13 pm

This is from the TSA web site about tonight's scrimmage with Ben Lippen.

"TSA will host Ben Lippen on Tuesday August 10th at 7:15 pm in the 1st preseason scrimmage for both squads. This is a varsity event only. Admission is free and open to the public!"
generals
Varsity

Postby athleticbooster8 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:16 pm

Yes Generals they will be playing in GISA and you are SO CORRECT...it is great that these 2 schools started a football program...we are all extremely excited at the prospect of this season. Jamborees are an excellent way to generate interest in your school and wets the whistle for the season to come!!
athleticbooster8
Freshman

Postby tb66 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:27 pm

Hammond scrimmaged A.C. Flora H.S., which is a SCHSL Class AAA team in Columbia (though not a good one). They played three regulation quarters. Flora won 16-14, but Hammond missed a 30-yard FG attempt on the final play of the game. Hammond also turned it over on a tipped ball interception in the endzone right before halftime.

Flora scored on a long pass made possible by a busted assignment in the Hammond secondary. Otherwise, their offense didn't do much. Flora's defense added a safety and a 70-yard fumble return for a TD. Hammond scored on a B.J. Bennett run and a Dave Nidiffer pass.

Hammond played sloppy at times, but showed flashes of being the team a lot of people seem to expect. Their running game and run defense looked very tough. The passing game is still a work in progress with the new receivers.
tb66
JV

Postby generals » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:33 pm

TSA and Ben Lippen scrimmaged tonight. It was an offense/defense coach's controlled scrimmage so there was no clock. Each team would have the ball for about 10-15 plays apiece or until they scored. Ben Lippen scored 4 TD's and TSA scored 2, but TSA also had about a 70-yard run to around the Ben Lippen 10 and the coaches just brought the ball back instead of all moving down there so TSA could have scored another TD.

As for the game, it was your average scrimmage. Both teams did some really good things and both teams make some mistakes. TSA had several blown coverages, but Ben Lippen dropped a few and a few were over-thrown. TSA had some trouble with false starts and Ben Lippen jumped off side a few times. Both teams moved the ball pretty good on the ground. TSA broke a few big runs and Ben Lippen had several drives where they just consistently had 5-6 yard runs to slowly move the ball down field. Ben Lippen was a good bit bigger on the lines (as you can expect in a 3A/2A game) and was a little bit better tonight. They have one kid out of the backfield that wore #4 that was really quick. It's hard to gather much from one scrimmage, but Ben Lippen was not overly impressive. They seem to be a good mid-level 3A team. I'd rank them around an LMA-type team, but they don't appear to be a team that will compete well against a Hammond or Heathwood.

As for TSA, there's a few things different this season. We're not quite as big on the O-line as we have been the past few years. Like any good coach would do, Coach Kessinger has made quite a few formation adjustments to utilize the strengths of the offense. It's going to be a lot of fun seeing everything that Coach K is going to throw out there. Our D-line had some problems getting pushed around a bit, but we were without Christian Bartsch who anchors the line. Neither Tindall brothers dressed, but Paris will play some RB and LB and Jordan will play some WR and DB.

The clear-cut hit of the night came towards the end of the scrimmage. A Ben Lippen RB got the hand-off and started left around the tackle. Seemingly out of nowhere Michael Fitzgerald popped up and decleated him. It drew quite a few "ohhh's" on the sideline and in the stands.

I'm excited for the season. We'll get a little bit better idea of what we have Friday night when we host LMA. Though the Varsity's will only go a half, it will be timed and officiated and run like a regular game. Then we open up our season next Friday against OP. Football is finally here folks!!!!
generals
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to SCISA