Chatter Up

This forum is for the South Carolina Independent High School Association League. Discuss the top players, teams and games from around the state for the top private schools.

Re: Chatter Up

Postby athleticbooster8 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:46 pm

How many of you read the latest issue of the high school sports report? There were several SCISA players mentioned. We get to play against several of those young men and i for one am excited at the prospect. I especially enjoyed reading what young Mr. Seckinger (from PG) had to say regarding playing in SCISA. He was asked what he said to coaches and others who questioned his (and others) abilities since SCISA was such a small league. He basically retorted with a question of his own asking when was the last time they had attended a SCISA football game. He correctly pointed out that SCISA has very good athletes - just not as many as the average public school. It was a dead on response ( This young man is another class act) Met him a couple of years ago at the state track meet. Can't wait to see him on the football field when they come to Pride Valley for the season opener. Hopefully we wont get pushed around by those big linemen and will be able to keep him under his average...but THAT will be a TALL order (no pun intended!!)
athleticbooster8
Freshman

Postby EagleMan52 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:59 pm

Can we get the latest issue of the HSSR on here that you are talking about? I'm not a member over there, nor will I ever be, I refuse to pay to read about sports.
“Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire, a dream, a vision.”
EagleMan52
All-American

Postby fan4football » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:17 am

As requested:

Reetz adds impressive experience to Porter Gaud coaching staff

By David Shelton

Staff Writer

Charleston – Experience is important as a player or a coach. Porter Gaud football coach Rick Reetz knows that and has done some creative maneuvering to add valuable knowledge and experience to his coaching staff for 2010.

As he enters his second season at the school, the Cyclones coach has added three coaches to aid in the rebuilding of the program.

Coaching receivers this fall will be former Summerville High All-American Jimmy Harrell, who went on to excel as a receiver and baseball player at the University of Georgia in the early 80’s.

Added to coach the offensive line is Chris Werden, who just completed his college career at Elon and was an All-Southern Conference selection and professional prospect. His father, Jim, is a former high school coach in Charleston.

Assisting with the development of the linebackers at Porter Gaud is Wes Pritchett, a second-team All-American at Notre Dame in 1988 and a member of Lou Holtz’ National Championship team.

“We’re very fortunate to have such quality people involved in our program,” said Reetz recently. “They’ve have invaluable experience and they love kids. They have instant credibility with the players because of their past experiences as players at a very high level.”

While Werden is a first-year coach, Reetz says he may become the most valuable member of the coaching staff because he just finished playing.

“He played at Elon and they run the spread like we do so it’s very fresh in his mind,” said Reetz. “He understands the game so well, a very smart young man. He knows all of the drills, he knows everything about this offense.. He’s going to be a tremendous help to our offensive linemen.”

Steve Budge returns to the varsity staff this fall and will continue to coach the quarterbacks. Chris Tate returns to coach running backs.

On the defense, long-time area high school coach David Reese is back to coordinate the defense. Al Wilson will coach the defensive linemen and Lou Dische will coach the secondary.

Greg Martin will be the head junior varsity coach and Keith Bowman will direct the b-team.

“This is a great staff,” said Reetz. “We have a lot of returning players and we feel like having a year under our belts together is going to be a big difference.”

Porter Gaud was 5-5 last season, a pretty solid record considering Reetz did not get the job until late summer. The Cyclones have higher expectations this season.

“Certainly with the number of players we have returning and having had a full off-season with them, we feel like we should be improved,” said the coach. “We still have a lot to prove. This group of players has never had a lot of success and that is still a hurdle we have to clear. But I think we have a chance to be very competitive this season and I think our players share that confidence as well.”
fan4football
Freshman

Postby athleticbooster8 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:15 pm

Eagle i read the newspaper they are still sending to me for an ad i took out a couple of years ago. They mention the top prospects in SC football among the other articles. There were 8 in the top 146 from SCISA. (Stanton Seckinger was 6th on the list)
Fan this was an awesome post. Thank you. PG does indeed appear to have a GREAT staff. You are extremely fortunate to have a community that supports your school. That is the key to making good decisions easier to make. I remember watching Jimmy Harrell play in Athens. He was an excellent athlete. I have all ideas that the first game of the year is going to be fun to watch. Good luck to PG this year and may all of us be serious injury free....
athleticbooster8
Freshman

Postby EagleMan52 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:23 pm

athleticbooster8 wrote:Eagle i read the newspaper they are still sending to me for an ad i took out a couple of years ago. They mention the top prospects in SC football among the other articles. There were 8 in the top 146 from SCISA. (Stanton Seckinger was 6th on the list)

Thats pretty impressive, do you recall any of the other prospects from SCISA?
“Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire, a dream, a vision.”
EagleMan52
All-American

Postby ernie2 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:27 pm

HSSR has Seckinger listed as 6th-best in SCISA? If there are 5 guys better than him, the league is stacked this year. I hear he's got offers from NC State, Clemson, and Furman already. Who are the other 5?
ernie2
JV

Postby generals » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:17 pm

I think he was saying Seckinger is ranked 6th in the state overall. If there are 5 guys in SCISA better than him, I'd love to see them.
generals
Varsity

Postby athleticbooster8 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:53 pm

6th best in the state....i remember only one from Florence Christian one from Dillon Christian....the 2 QBs from Hilton Head the QB from Hammond and the DE from Hammond...They missed 2 from SCISA for a dead solid fact...most likely more...
athleticbooster8
Freshman

Postby EagleMan52 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:45 am

athleticbooster8 wrote:6th best in the state....i remember only one from Florence Christian

I'd like to know who the one from FC was, I got a couple of ideas.
EagleMan52
All-American

Postby Highlander » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:28 pm

Charleston1, "No Whalens, No Way, Heathwood #7." Can't wait to whip up on you team this season.

There is no reason to cry for "The Hall." Fate always seems to shine on "God's Children." Rip Blackstone incurred some major losses to graduation, but a speedy transfer from O.P. and the recent addition of Division I prospect, Corey Miller, Jr. should keep Heathwood in the hunt, in a particularly weak region. Outside of Hammond, the state's perennial powerhouse, Heathwood should have no trouble handling the rest of the "unwashed."

Heathwood vs. Hammond Round 2 at Charlie W. Johnson Stadium in November.
Highlander
Freshman

PreviousNext

Return to SCISA