SCISAA Top 5; Each Division

This forum is for the South Carolina Independent High School Association League. Discuss the top players, teams and games from around the state for the top private schools.

SCISAA Top 5; Each Division

Postby schighschoolfan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:37 pm

Was hoping to have one more game for each team before coming out with this but Mother Nature obviously intervened. The big showdown in AAA is set for Friday.

AAA
1. Hammond (4-0)
2. First Baptist (4-0)
3. Laurence Manning (3-0)
4. Porter-Gaud (4-0)
5. Cardinal Newman (3-1)

AA
1. Trinity-Byrnes (3-1)
2. Robert E. Lee (4-0)
3. Florence Christian (2-1)
4. Orangeburg Prep (2-1)
5. Greenwood Christian (3-1)

A
1. Thomas Heyward (5-0)
2. Dillon Christian (1-3) (brutally difficult schedule thus far)
3. Pee Dee (2-1)
4. Carolina (2-1)
5. Dorchester (3-2)

8-man
1. Andrew Jackson (3-0)
2. Wardlaw (4-0) (may be the best this season but must prove it against AJA)
3. Jefferson Davis (4-1)
4. Clarendon Hall (3-0)
5. Faith/Ridge (4-0)
schighschoolfan
Freshman

Re: SCISAA Top 5; Each Division

Postby docgibbons » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:30 pm

[quote=“schighschoolfan”]Was hoping to have one more game for each team before coming out with this but Mother Nature obviously intervened. The big showdown in AAA is set for Friday.

AAA
1. Hammond (4-0)
2. First Baptist (4-0)
4. Porter-Gaud (4-0)
5. Cardinal Newman (3-1)

AA
1. Trinity-Byrnes (3-1)
2. Robert E. Lee (4-0)
4. Orangeburg Prep (2-1)

A
1. Thomas Heyward (5-0)
3. Pee Dee (2-1)
4. Carolina (2-1)
5. Dorchester (3-2)

8-man
1. Andrew Jackson (3-0)
3. Jefferson Davis (4-1)
4. Clarendon Hall (3-0)
5. Faith/Ridge (4-0)[/quote]

mostly agree here. I'd put First Baptist over Hammond - we'll see this Friday. in 8-man, I'd have Wardlaw, CH, then AJA. Leave JDA off - replace with Beaufort (compare RWA games - Beaufort stomped them, JDA barely escaped)
docgibbons
All-American

Postby KSML » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:51 pm

I agree on the Beaufort assessment in 8 man. They are a well coached and physical team. I believe a couple of their players have gone on official visits to D1 schools.

Faith Ridge could have made the playoffs this year as they are another good team. Any ideas on how long they will remain a combined team? Do they have the numbers to separate next season?
KSML
Freshman

Postby schighschoolfan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:11 pm

docgibbons wrote:[quote=“schighschoolfan”]Was hoping to have one more game for each team before coming out with this but Mother Nature obviously intervened. The big showdown in AAA is set for Friday.

AAA
1. Hammond (4-0)
2. First Baptist (4-0)
4. Porter-Gaud (4-0)
5. Cardinal Newman (3-1)

AA
1. Trinity-Byrnes (3-1)
2. Robert E. Lee (4-0)
4. Orangeburg Prep (2-1)

A
1. Thomas Heyward (5-0)
3. Pee Dee (2-1)
4. Carolina (2-1)
5. Dorchester (3-2)

8-man
1. Andrew Jackson (3-0)
3. Jefferson Davis (4-1)
4. Clarendon Hall (3-0)
5. Faith/Ridge (4-0)

mostly agree here. I'd put First Baptist over Hammond - we'll see this Friday. in 8-man, I'd have Wardlaw, CH, then AJA. Leave JDA off - replace with Beaufort (compare RWA games - Beaufort stomped them, JDA barely escaped)[/quote]

I have a tendency to default to the proven commodity when it's a close call hence Hammond currently above FB and AJA staying atop the heap in 8-man (for now). Admittedly, Beaufort is largely an unknown to me at this time - I defer to your judgment with 8-man as you see far more than I. I do have to point out (and I know you know) that the transitive property of football is almost never true :D .
schighschoolfan
Freshman

Postby jstrick » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:38 am

11-Man seems accurate. But I disagree with 8-Man.

My top 5 would be:
1. Clarendon Hall
2. Andrew Jackson
3. JDA/Wardlaw
4. JDA/Wardlaw
5. Beaufort

I've seen Clarendon Hall play. They've got depth and lots of talent. They are fast and physical. I've heard where Dorchester picked up a lot of the female athletes from Holly Hill, Clarendon Hall got a lot of the HHA boys. My pick to win state, their first since 1989. Thomas Heyward still has the longest football state title drought though as far as I know and I think that'll end this year too.

Andrew Jackson is Andrew Jackson. That's all I even care to say about that.

Will be easier to place 3 and 4 in my opinion after they've played one another. Wardlaw is usually a solid team anyway. They are always well-coached even if they don't have the best players. But St. John's has been their only challenge so far and that was way back in Week 1. They won't play AJ unless it's in the playoffs either. Look at the strength of schedule so far...JDA has definitely had it a little tougher. Wardlaw will get blowout wins over King and Calhoun and then play JDA. JDA will get blowout wins over Tri-Academy and King and then play Wardlaw. I will say though that JDA surprised me. I thought they were going to dominate the league after watching them against PHA in the playoffs last year. But when we put up 52 points against them a couple weeks ago, it made me reevaluate things. They are solid but others are just better.

Where Desean Epps goes so does Beaufort. He was one of the best players in 8-man last year (Caleb Crosby from Calhoun was the best I saw). Usually Beaufort isn't very good, but he's just the kind of guy you build a program around. Not sure if they've picked up anything else but when I saw him last year he was everywhere on the field on defense and a physical running back on offense. I feel like if there's an injury, it could really change the course of their season. Which that goes for a lot of teams this year with low numbers. But I would be tempted to move them up to 3 or 4 depending on how they play the rest of the season.

And I'm not sold on Faith/Ridge like everyone else seems to be. Yes, Daniel Brown is a good athlete but if you readjust your game plan to stop him, then I think anyone could beat F/R. I was hoping to see the game last week but the hurricane messed that up. Because of that, their real test is this week. But I think Beaufort will win. Richard Winn is the only really tough team they've played and RW still put up 66. If you stop Faith on defense looks like you can score all day.

Some might not like what I said, but I'll stand by it until the games prove me wrong. I try to read newspaper writeups from around the state and just listen to people talk when I go to games.
jstrick
Freshman

Postby schighschoolfan » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:03 am

jstrick wrote:11-Man seems accurate. But I disagree with 8-Man.

My top 5 would be:
1. Clarendon Hall
2. Andrew Jackson
3. JDA/Wardlaw
4. JDA/Wardlaw
5. Beaufort

I've seen Clarendon Hall play. They've got depth and lots of talent. They are fast and physical. I've heard where Dorchester picked up a lot of the female athletes from Holly Hill, Clarendon Hall got a lot of the HHA boys. My pick to win state, their first since 1989. Thomas Heyward still has the longest football state title drought though as far as I know and I think that'll end this year too.

Andrew Jackson is Andrew Jackson. That's all I even care to say about that.

Will be easier to place 3 and 4 in my opinion after they've played one another. Wardlaw is usually a solid team anyway. They are always well-coached even if they don't have the best players. But St. John's has been their only challenge so far and that was way back in Week 1. They won't play AJ unless it's in the playoffs either. Look at the strength of schedule so far...JDA has definitely had it a little tougher. Wardlaw will get blowout wins over King and Calhoun and then play JDA. JDA will get blowout wins over Tri-Academy and King and then play Wardlaw. I will say though that JDA surprised me. I thought they were going to dominate the league after watching them against PHA in the playoffs last year. But when we put up 52 points against them a couple weeks ago, it made me reevaluate things. They are solid but others are just better.

Where Desean Epps goes so does Beaufort. He was one of the best players in 8-man last year (Caleb Crosby from Calhoun was the best I saw). Usually Beaufort isn't very good, but he's just the kind of guy you build a program around. Not sure if they've picked up anything else but when I saw him last year he was everywhere on the field on defense and a physical running back on offense. I feel like if there's an injury, it could really change the course of their season. Which that goes for a lot of teams this year with low numbers. But I would be tempted to move them up to 3 or 4 depending on how they play the rest of the season.

And I'm not sold on Faith/Ridge like everyone else seems to be. Yes, Daniel Brown is a good athlete but if you readjust your game plan to stop him, then I think anyone could beat F/R. I was hoping to see the game last week but the hurricane messed that up. Because of that, their real test is this week. But I think Beaufort will win. Richard Winn is the only really tough team they've played and RW still put up 66. If you stop Faith on defense looks like you can score all day.

Some might not like what I said, but I'll stand by it until the games prove me wrong. I try to read newspaper writeups from around the state and just listen to people talk when I go to games.

Good stuff jstrick; it's always a plus to get solid input for divisions we don't see as much of. Really interesting deal with Holly Hill ... what the heck happened over there?
schighschoolfan
Freshman

Postby jstrick » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:20 am

I try to stay in the loop with 8-man. Could probably give a scouting report on every team and rank all 16. If my school played 11-man I'd try to know everything I could about that but I just keep up with the ones who are close by like Thomas Heyward and Colleton Prep. Just saying a team is good doesn't cut it for me. Got to explain why lol.

I hear all kinds of rumors about teams, some things I know are true and others that have some truth in them. Some are just wishful thinking though. With Holly Hill, I've heard all kinds of things. But I'm thinking one of the biggest reasons they've had such a big shakeup is Don Shelley being let go.
jstrick
Freshman

Postby KSML » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:29 am

[quote=“jstrick”]I try to stay in the loop with 8-man. Could probably give a scouting report on every team and rank all 16. If my school played 11-man I’d try to know everything I could about that but I just keep up with the ones who are close by like Thomas Heyward and Colleton Prep. Just saying a team is good doesn’t cut it for me. Got to explain why lol.

I hear all kinds of rumors about teams, some things I know are true and others that have some truth in them. Some are just wishful thinking though. With Holly Hill, I’ve heard all kinds of things. But I’m thinking one of the biggest reasons they’ve had such a big shakeup is Don Shelley being let go.[/quote]

So, your thoughts on Calhoun Academy. Would be interested in your "scouting report" on them.
KSML
Freshman

Postby schighschoolfan » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:06 am

[quote=“jstrick”]I try to stay in the loop with 8-man. Could probably give a scouting report on every team and rank all 16. If my school played 11-man I’d try to know everything I could about that but I just keep up with the ones who are close by like Thomas Heyward and Colleton Prep. Just saying a team is good doesn’t cut it for me. Got to explain why lol.

I hear all kinds of rumors about teams, some things I know are true and others that have some truth in them. Some are just wishful thinking though. With Holly Hill, I’ve heard all kinds of things. But I’m thinking one of the biggest reasons they’ve had such a big shakeup is Don Shelley being let go.[/quote]

Definitely that. I suppose that's where I was digging for info. The universal response to that move by Holly Hill's administration seems to be disapproval with some "shock" mixed in. I've been very curious since I heard the news as why that went down the way it did. Full disclosure, I played for Coach Shelley many years ago and I still have great respect for him as a coach and as a man. Further, I feel like anyone could see the positive impact he was having on Holly Hill's athletics -- it was obvious from what they had been prior to his arrival. I too was, and remain, perplexed by his termination.
schighschoolfan
Freshman

Postby Bamaknights » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:08 pm

So Faith/Ridge is only Daniel Brown. Thanks for the bulletin board material. :D Please do not take that the wrong way. Just interesting to see how others view our team. As someone close to the team I will tell you this team plays with heart and is very well coached. I agree Daniel is a key player, and you can plan to stop him, but you still have to stop him. There are several other kids that are talented and ready to meet the challenge. Beaufort is going to be a very tough challenge, and I am looking forward to the game tomorrow night.
I appreciate all the insight and information you guys put into 8 man football. Keep up the great work.
Bamaknights
Freshman

Next

Return to SCISA