scisa softball

This forum is for the South Carolina Independent High School Association League. Discuss the top players, teams and games from around the state for the top private schools.

Re: scisa softball

Postby sandy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:34 pm

NAfan, I agree with you. One I really believe your team should depend on your talent instead of age. The coach they hired should be able to tell if the kid can compete at that level. If the parent thinks they can as well, have them sign a release. It should be a final decision of the parents not the AD or coach of another sport. The parents are paying the bill. I have seen a team {jv} show up with about 5 tenth graders to play another JV team. The coach had 2 girls in the 9th grade pitch the 2 JV games. They shut down the older JV team both games. They pitched 2 shutouts. Goes to say sometimes you may have a 8th grader better than some seniors. If the team had not of pitched these two girls the JV pitcher could have been hurt from lack of experience. That is why open it up some. It could help some 1A schools. Nobody wants anyone hurt,but this is a good example of a school could let some younger more talented kids play. The secret is hard work and travel ball. 8-)
sandy
Freshman

Postby hangemhigh » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:55 pm

As a softball fan, I have to say I enjoy all the comments by such posters as Softball Coach, Sandy, and NAFAN on this topic. Keep it comin guys. Ain't alot of us on this site! Would love to hear something from the lower state.
hangemhigh
Freshman

Postby Softball Coach » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:08 pm

Cleats: I see both sides of the equation. Molded cleats on wet bases are more dangerous in my opinion than a girl getting cleated but its a "what if" issue with SCICA and the metal cleats.

I think eligibility should be based on talent and judgement. Smaller 1A schools are hurt by this rule. You can play Varsity softball for Hillcrest High School 4A with 2800 students and come up against pitching the likes of which you will never see in SCISA but King Academy cant use the same girl in their 1A program? How short sided is this rule? I have known programs almost fold because of this rule because the small schools scrape by every year to get enough players. I also know of a 7th grader that was not allowed to play varsity but could not practice with the varsity team because no one one on the varsity would/could warm up with her.

JV rule is 6th to 10th in SCISA. This is stupid. There is a bigger physical gap between 6th to 8th then there is between 7th to 12th when it comes to girls. JV should be 6th to 9th and allow 7th to 12th on varsity. This would increase the participation. JV softball is rare in 1A scisa.
Last edited by Softball Coach on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Softball Coach
JV

Postby Softball Coach » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:47 pm

Finally: As for JV and Varsity playing back to back games? You cannot tell me this is a safety issue for a player. Travel ball players can play 7 games in one day. I realize the boys cannot hang with such a schedule but the girls do it all the time. Not to mention it is in July in some cool area of the country like Florence or Lexington. 100 degrees in the shade with not a breeze in sight. Give me a break on this rule. Some schools need to use girls to play up and down to build a program.

As for the 10th grader that pitched a couple years ago and abused Wardlaws JV. They were within the rules so stop whining. Wardlaw was never known to pull their foot off the throttle when they killed other teams in the past so I am sure some teams in your region will return the favor in kind.
Softball Coach
JV

Postby sandy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:08 am

softball coach, I am not sure if your last comment was to answer my last post, but I am not disagreeing with you. I am saying their are a lot of underclassmen who can play the game in high school that are better than upperclassmen. They need to look at talent more sometimes than age. Let the coaches and parents make that decision. There are a lot of young softball players who play travel ball against some good teams and players, but can't be allowed to play on a 1A SCISA team. Let them play! Maybe some more 1A schools could have a team every year. You cannot build a program by having a team only 2 out of 5 years.
sandy
Freshman

Postby Softball Coach » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:15 am

Sandy,

We agree. If they have the skills and ability to play up then let them play. I think if you play on a 12U travel team you should be able to play SCISA 1A varsity. I am not sure how they came about the arbitrary grade of 8th as the cut off anyhow without an age consideration. What if a child was younger and skipped a grade or the opposite? 8th graders could have a 2 year swing in age.
Softball Coach
JV

Postby sandy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:12 pm

I know that the game I guess a couple of years ago or so, can happen in 1A because of the limits of SCISA. Also the kids the last few years that are coming through the system are so different as far as what it takes to be a very good program. And a lot if it is because of parents. It is not getting support from them and the admin. It is all about 8 man football. That should be no problem, but sadly it is. Every head master wants to be a football coach. Where the power is, is where the money and support is. Bigger schools could and should be more competitive because of numbers alone. Needs to be looked into by SCISA, But won't. :(
sandy
Freshman

Postby Softball Coach » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:41 pm

I think football brings in alot of participation and great gate fees for a school as does basketball and baseball so we dont have a leg to stand on in regards to those sports. I cannot fault the administration for anything to be honest.

I cannot fault parents either if their daughter does not want to play outside of school. I do understand the disparity in girls that play outside of school and the ones that only play from Feb to May every year. If the girl doesnt have the desire to play travel ball then how can a parent force the issue? It would be a miserable summer to drag little Sally around in the hot summer if she hates it. These things go in waves and most public schools only have a handful of players that play year round. You guys were just fortunate for years to have a bunch that liked to play at that level. Now you get to live through what most SCISA schools live with. Its humbling.
Softball Coach
JV

Postby hangemhigh » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:44 pm

Softball Coach.......... You are exactly correct. Wardlaw was very lucky for a number of years to have young ladies who loved the sport and would play travel from early spring into late fall. Not to mention pitch year around. And the young ladies were blessed to have parents who would invest the time, money and loved it just as much as the girls. You are correct in without that your team is just "middle of the pack" in SCISA .You may also be correct in saying it may be payback time.

How "bout some 2A and 3A predicitions for 2012? Or public schools you are familiar with?
hangemhigh
Freshman

Postby Softball Coach » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:28 pm

Boiling Springs
Mauldin
Hillcrest
JL Mann

Byrnes
Summerville
North Augusta
South Florence
Spring Valley
Dutch Fork

AAA will probably have the following schools under consideration:

(Not in any order)

Nation Ford
Daniel
Hartsville
Union County
Marlboro County
Darlington
St. James
Georgetown
Chapman
Chapin

AA:

(Not in any order)

Crescent
Palmetto
Central
Buford
Barnwell
Andrew Jackson
Broome
Swansea
Hannahan
Silver Bluff

A:

Abbeville
Chesterfield
Landrum
McBee
Lake View
East Clarendon
Latta
Johnsonville
Hannah-Pamp

I pulled this off of another site. I would have to concur with the predictions. I added JL Mann to the 4A bunch listed. I would also say that the top 4A bunch are better than the bottom group in my opinion. I am sure I will have a parent of a kid that goes to a school that is not listed or someone from Spring Valley arguing that they beat Mauldin once last year but for the most part the upstate will dominate in every category again this year when it comes to the finals. The competition and concentration in the upstate is better. More girls to choose from as we have discussed in the past.
Softball Coach
JV

PreviousNext

Return to SCISA